Author Topic: WoK ARCs  (Read 15763 times)

link389

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WoK ARCs
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 06:18:40 AM »
I'm just looking forward to being a part of this new series from the beginning, and having the ARC to prove it  ;D
"Light shines through the sands of time,
As down the Aeonglass it pours,
Until the Darkness shift the glass
And bring the Lords to Bloody shores."

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
The ARC really doesn't capture the awesomeness of the final product.

It's heavy and it's gorgeous. All the artwork looks so much better, everyone's work is in there now (the ARC is missing some artwork, and I didn't realize just how much) and it's just a solid brick of a book. To be sure, the ARC is a collector item, but if you can't get one don't feel bad about it. You'll get the better product in less than a week.

You guys are in for a real treat!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:14:05 PM by Inkthinker »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 01:20:39 AM »
So Ben I take it your box arrived?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 03:39:36 AM »
You guys always get me the nicest presents.

:D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:54:37 AM by Inkthinker »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 04:10:57 AM »
We got 25 books today...but Sam Weller's oversold by...25 books. So Brandon needs to give them all to Sam Weller's...(Well, they will replace them with unsigned ones, but it's still funny.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2010, 05:53:23 PM »
I got mine yesterday...yay!  Like Inkthinker said, it's not the highest quality of book, although it's clean and sharp looking, it's not as solid as a hardback.  But the whole idea of getting it early is way cool and it is a collector's item.  Proof that you got the early batch.  I found some of the cover markings interesting, such as "Uncorrected Advance Reading Copy - Not For Sale"  as well as the Marking Plans information on the back cover, as well as future ordering info that book stores will be able to use to get displays, etc.  Just another side of the industry that you never get to see up front. 

I've always liked "backlot tours" almost as much as the actual production (what I wouldn't give to be on the set of Survivor without having to actually be on the show!)  To me, this is a small "backlot tour" into the book marketing industry.  And now I have my souvenir for the trip!

Currently devouring...will bring my copy to the book signing.  :)
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2010, 04:13:57 AM »

I don't know about ARCs but the ABM was missing TONS of art.  Im excited to see it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2010, 06:21:02 AM »
The ARC really doesn't capture the awesomeness of the final product.

It's heavy and it's gorgeous. All the artwork looks so much better, everyone's work is in there now (the ARC is missing some artwork, and I didn't realize just how much) and it's just a solid brick of a book. To be sure, the ARC is a collector item, but if you can't get one don't feel bad about it. You'll get the better product in less than a week.

You guys are in for a real treat!

Oh yeah, the art is great, having seen it first hand, and the UK edition at least is about twice the size of a regular paperback and just over a thousand pages long. It's technically a paperback, but it makes my hardcover of Warbreaker look thin and underfed. :D

The cover is very sturdy though, which is great- I dislike huge books with really flimsy paperback covers that are really easy to bend. I feel like I could throw the book around a bit without damaging it, not that I would. :)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »

I don't know about ARCs but the ABM was missing TONS of art.  Im excited to see it.

Apparently the ARCs were as well. I'm not sure who did what, but it looks like several pieces by Isaac and all the work from the third artist were left out of the ARC and ABM copies.

So even for ARC owners, there's good incentive to seek out the retail final.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
Inkthinker, could you tell us how much of the art in Way of Kings is yours?

(I think I read somewhere that you did some of it anyway)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
I'm not sure what to talk about before release. I kinda want the artwork to be a surprise for everyone else as well, and even talking about what's in there (and MAN, there's a lot!) might be a bit of a spoiler.

Plus, I only know for sure what I did, I'm not sure how it breaks down between Isaac and Greg Call. Peter would know for sure.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »
Could you give us a suggestion of how many pictures you did for it, in the order of 5, or 10 or 50 or 100? I just want a vague idea of how much of your lovely artwork to look forward to.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2010, 12:39:34 PM »
In the book, 6. That ought to be enough to let you know which ones are mine. :D

I also did a bit of concept work for Brandon that doesn't appear in the book. Some of that might be seen at the Dragon*Con panel.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
I look forard to seeing them with eagre anticipation.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 11:54:52 PM »
Greg Call did the historical greatshell picture, the history of mankind, the Alethi codes of war, and the relief of Nalan'Elin. Isaac did everything else. [EDIT: I mean besides Inkthinker's 6, of course.]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:17:33 AM by Peter Ahlstrom »