Author Topic: I Love Goodreads  (Read 9287 times)

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
I Love Goodreads
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »
I was one of the lucky 200 out of 3450. But do not fear BS, for I still plan on buying a copy when you come down to San Diego! I'm here to help you rise to #1!

Very cool tho, that email right there made my week. Anybody else get a little lucky today?
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: I Love Goodreads
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »
I lost. :(  I did go and check to see if I won though.  I have also started to use the site. I like it and am rereading books now so I am filling out very basic reviews as I go though my library.  Currently reading Magic's Pawn, from the Last Herald-Mage trilogy. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:36:52 PM by Rrikor »

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
I did! And I've already paid for my 2 copies of the book for the Provo signing :D
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:37 PM »
It seems like there are a TON of ARCs of Way of Kings that were made.  I wonder how many there were and if that is the standard number for books being published.  I've heard all kinds of people talking about them and giveaways and such for this book but rarely hear about them for others.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »
It seems like there are a TON of ARCs of Way of Kings that were made.  I wonder how many there were and if that is the standard number for books being published.  I've heard all kinds of people talking about them and giveaways and such for this book but rarely hear about them for others.

I was also wondering how many were out there and how many have been distributed to the general public.. would like to know what my ratio is. Am I getting 1 out of 400.. 1 out of 1000.. are they numbered? Lets turn this into a collectors item! Might have to get the ARC signed too because it's just that cool.  :D

I did! And I've already paid for my 2 copies of the book for the Provo signing :D

You already got in the the mail too? It said to expect up to 2-3 weeks for delivery. Guess they over exaggerated that a little.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:05:44 PM by Creative_Vortx »

Recruit of the Omegas.

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »
I got one too! Only problem is that they sent the email to the wrong email address.  So I never got the notification until I checked on the site.  SO I hope I can get that resolved with them soon.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »
Hmmm maybe mine wasn't from Goodreads... Oh hey the return address is Tor, so I won that one I guess?
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 03:48:42 AM »
This is NOT a standard number of ARCs. This is THE book Tor is pushing this year. It wouldn't surprise me if there are more ARCs of this book than any other single book published by any company this year.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »
TOR is pushing Way of Kings more than the next WoT book Brandon has out in October? Is that because this is a new series and WoT is more likely to sell itself?

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »
I entered the giveaway, but did not win.  I found it highly peculiar that about 25% of the winners had like zero books read or shelved on their account.   It seems like they just basically signed up just so they can enter the contest.   I don't see how someone who just signed up has priority over me.  The drawing isn't completely random, goodreads does have criteria they go by.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »
guessingo: Yes. Oh, once WoK has been out for a few weeks they'll posh TofM, but it won't get any ARCs. Not that there's time for any.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 04:41:04 PM »
guessingo: Yes. Oh, once WoK has been out for a few weeks they'll posh TofM, but it won't get any ARCs. Not that there's time for any.

There's no point in pushing TofM.  It has its own legs--over 1 million English-language Edition legs.  Why waste extra finds on a novel that will already sell millions of copies when you can put that same money into "the next big series" to bump the sales of its first book.

And yeah, as I understood from Publicist Justin at Tor, there won't be any WoT ARCs.  Again, what would be the point.

Elitist Book Reviews will probably be giving away the ARC we received, signed of course, at the release signing.  (Peter: remind Brandon to respond to that email from me!)
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the email said or what you need to do to give goodreads your mailing address? I still haven't got a hold of them but I did win.  It shows that I won. 

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the email said or what you need to do to give goodreads your mailing address? I still haven't got a hold of them but I did win.  It shows that I won. 

Congratulations CreativeVortx!

You are one of our First Reads lucky winners! You will soon receive a
free copy of The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, #1) in the mail. Please allow a few
weeks for shipping.

Don't forget to add the book to your Goodreads currently-reading
shelf, and we encourage you to also add it to a "first-reads" shelf when you are done reading. Posting a review is optional, but please keep in mind that
reviewing the book is in the spirit of First Reads. Publishers provide
free copies to Goodreads in hopes of getting early feedback about the
book. First Readers who post reviews are also more likely to win free
books in the future!

If you have further questions, please contact Tor Books,
who listed this book for giveaway.
Goodreads is not involved in the shipment of books to winners. Books usually arrive within 4-6 weeks.
If you've waited more than 30 days, visit the Giveaway Details page to let us know you haven't received your copy.

Other then that there isn't much info. All the address info you had to input when you signed up for the give away if I recall correctly.

I entered the giveaway, but did not win.  I found it highly peculiar that about 25% of the winners had like zero books read or shelved on their account.   It seems like they just basically signed up just so they can enter the contest.   I don't see how someone who just signed up has priority over me.  The drawing isn't completely random, goodreads does have criteria they go by.

Aparently they do go to the people who have reviewed books in the past as their winners. I've been on goodreads for a good couple of years... reviewed only like.. 5 books in length so that's all the info I can give you. Not an AVID user of Goodreads.com but I also didn't sign up just for the contest.

Recruit of the Omegas.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
I get it. So the arcs mainly go out to book review sites to get them to post reviews for publicity? How  many arcs go out for Way of Kings? 100s or 1000s?

What have been some other books that TOR has pushed recently other than this and Wheel of Time?