Author Topic: I Love Goodreads  (Read 9290 times)

mycoltbug

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I Love Goodreads
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the email said or what you need to do to give goodreads your mailing address? I still haven't got a hold of them but I did win.  It shows that I won. 

Congratulations CreativeVortx!

You are one of our First Reads lucky winners! You will soon receive a
free copy of The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, #1) in the mail. Please allow a few
weeks for shipping.

Don't forget to add the book to your Goodreads currently-reading
shelf, and we encourage you to also add it to a "first-reads" shelf when you are done reading. Posting a review is optional, but please keep in mind that
reviewing the book is in the spirit of First Reads. Publishers provide
free copies to Goodreads in hopes of getting early feedback about the
book. First Readers who post reviews are also more likely to win free
books in the future!

If you have further questions, please contact Tor Books,
who listed this book for giveaway.
Goodreads is not involved in the shipment of books to winners. Books usually arrive within 4-6 weeks.
If you've waited more than 30 days, visit the Giveaway Details page to let us know you haven't received your copy.

Other then that there isn't much info. All the address info you had to input when you signed up for the give away if I recall correctly.

I entered the giveaway, but did not win.  I found it highly peculiar that about 25% of the winners had like zero books read or shelved on their account.   It seems like they just basically signed up just so they can enter the contest.   I don't see how someone who just signed up has priority over me.  The drawing isn't completely random, goodreads does have criteria they go by.

Aparently they do go to the people who have reviewed books in the past as their winners. I've been on goodreads for a good couple of years... reviewed only like.. 5 books in length so that's all the info I can give you. Not an AVID user of Goodreads.com but I also didn't sign up just for the contest.

I had totally forgot about that. Thanks!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 11:17:47 PM »
I had totally forgot about that. Thanks!

Quite welcome.  :D
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »
In positive news Tor notified me today that the shipping labels were given yesterday to their warehouse to send those books out.  So it shouldn't be long till we get them.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 09:48:53 PM »
Woot. Awesome. I should really stop walking into my house after work expecting it to be there, waiting.. in all it's glorious glory.

Recruit of the Omegas.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 08:07:49 PM »
WOOT! I just won an ARC! rejoice with me!
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »
Man, I hope people like this book. It's less than 3 weeks away, and I'm starting to get anxious. So far most of the early reviews I've seen have been good, but there have been a few interesting so-so reviews.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »
Man, I hope people like this book. It's less than 3 weeks away, and I'm starting to get anxious. So far most of the early reviews I've seen have been good, but there have been a few interesting so-so reviews.

Don't do that to us Peter! It's your job to be anxious, bringing this info to us will make us anxious and we're the fans. We must be happy! APPEASE THE FANS!

It's annoying though, knowing that every day that I go home there could be a nice shiney WoK waiting for me. Every day that it isn't there is one more day I have to wait to put up an awesome review of it on Goodreads.

Recruit of the Omegas.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 02:07:44 AM »
WOOT! I just won an ARC! rejoice with me!

Congrats! As is usual with BS, you will not be disappointed!
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
K it's official the ARCs will leave the warehouse tomorrow as per the people at TOR. So we should receive it sometime next week.  Just enough time to read it before the release party.  If you are at the release party, I'll be the guy sitting in line reading the ARC in front of you all :D

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »

You want me to email you the draft of EBR's review?  It's good, but honest.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 05:53:50 PM »
K it's official the ARCs will leave the warehouse tomorrow as per the people at TOR. So we should receive it sometime next week.  Just enough time to read it before the release party.  If you are at the release party, I'll be the guy sitting in line reading the ARC in front of you all :D

Woohoo! Media mail for the fail though. Ha!

Recruit of the Omegas.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
BSG: No. I'll see it when you put it up.

The only thing I'm really worried about with the early reviews is if they have too many spoilers. Which I know yours won't.

Ultimately I don't think reviewer reviews matter that much. Word of mouth will make or break the book. Cumulative Amazon reviews will likely have some effect on Amazon sales. What I really hope though is that there will be a number of people who see a stack of OMG HUEG books in the store, and pick one up and flip through it and see all the gorgeous art and buy it for that reason alone (plus maybe reading some jacket material). Though up until now,  the early reviews have often not mentioned the art. And readers read books for the story, y'know? So I wonder if the art will affect things at all.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »
I appreciate artwork in large books when it is done well. If it's too much or doesn't fit the book then it can ruin the book. But I feel like the art in WoK that I've seen (only the previewed piece and the chapter heads) has added a very warranted flair that most large epics probably couldn't pull off. For example: if I had seen an art page in Eragon i'd have considered it childish. Probably because of his age and more so at his possible inability to depict that piece of art with words. (yea, I just bashed Christopher Paolini, sp? It's okay, if Brandon can't pronounce it correct i'm allowed to not know how to spell it. <3)

Recruit of the Omegas.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »

Reading the sample chapters... I feel confident at least fantasy fans will like it. It's just the pre-game jitters. I can tell that Brandon's topped himself again, and you can really see how WoT has made him grow as a writer. With TOR giving this book its big marketing push... I think that should be enough to get it the audience it deserves, good reviews or no. :)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »
Ultimately I don't think reviewer reviews matter that much.

Thank you for your seemingly accidental insult.  I know you probably didn't mean it that way, but still.  Good book reviewers actually put in a lot of work, and have a lot of people who rely on their reviews.  Reviews, after all, can be considered "word of mouth". 
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/