Author Topic: Way of Kings Discussion (Chapters 9 and 11) :SPOILERS:  (Read 3143 times)

Rrikor

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Way of Kings Discussion (Chapters 9 and 11) :SPOILERS:
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »
Just starting a new thread to discuss the new chapters that have been put up.  I really like the progression of Kaladin's character.  It appears to me that Syl seems to be an abnormality for a  windspren.  Maybe all of them have some sort of memory but they have to be really focused on something or someone.  Syl appears to lose her memory and goals the longer she is away from Kaladin.  Syl bring thing Blackbane was entertaining though.  To bring poisen to a person she is trying to protect was ironic,  and the effort it takes for Syl to interact with any object makes it all the more impressive.

The end of Chapter 11 leaves a very good lead in for future chapters.  I am wondering how Kaladin is going to try and protect his bridge crew.  We already know he has asked about shields and that they are not allowed.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings Discussion (Chapters 9 and 11) :SPOILERS:
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
On Stormblessed someone suggested that he will develop magic, which he could, however, if he does, and it stops him from losing nyone else it will seem rather deus ex machina I think, peraps he will develop i slwoly and be able to affect a few things for the good, or perhaps he won't have magic at all, I'm wondering what he intends to use his moeny for.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »
I am pretty sure he has some magic already.  We saw it in the first chapters where in battle he developed a blur around him and superhuman speed.  Is it magic he controls or is it magic being placed upon him, maybe by Syl.

jcats

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
OK I finally finished reading the newest Preview on Tor, and several things just Jumped out and bit me. Wall Of Text and Various Fan Gushing to Follow.

Random idea One: this book will deal with only 4 shards/powers.

reason? this Quote “Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.”

OK, from the Forum, and the various Annotations I've learned that their are 16 Shards, or Powers in Sandersons Works,  we've met Two in the Mistborn Series (Ruin/Preservation) One in Elantris (the Dor) and One Warbreaker (Endowment).   We've also seen Hoid, the Planet Hopper, and the current rumor is he's Bonded/Serving a Shard as well.   So, 16 Shards... 3 of Sixteen Ruled.   this implies (to me, it might not to you) that After the Shattering, a few of the Shards Got together, and watched over this section of the Universe.  But, they got Defeated by a 4th Shard, the "Broken One" who now rules this world (Like Ruin was planing on).  which is also just a cool idea, :D

Another idea that Struck me,  one of the Magic systems of this book,  Prophecy before Death.  IE, the lovely little quotes that start each chapter (and provide so much Juicy worldbuilding, in less than a sentence... omg i love them squeee!!)  ahem.... that this is one of the Magic systems, possibly a blended system.  (by blending i mean, Preservation had Allomancy, Ruin had Hemology, together they both powered Feraceumy).  Just a thought.

I will now return to Babbling and counting the hours till this book gets Released..... 26:10:46:30 to go

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »
Random idea One: this book will deal with only 4 shards/powers.

I think there will be more then 4 shards in the series. Touching on the 4 shards that are mentioned in the quote makes sense for the first section of world building.

3 of Sixteen Ruled.   this implies (to me, it might not to you) that After the Shattering, a few of the Shards Got together, and watched over this section of the Universe.  But, they got Defeated by a 4th Shard, the "Broken One" who now rules this world (Like Ruin was planing on).  which is also just a cool idea, :D

I got this too. But I don't think they are defeated. Merely pushed back, much like Ruin was being held back by Preservation. I think the 3 shards are still there, churning out their magic, scheming to try to remove the "Broken One" from damning their world.

I also think that the storms are shard related. We've seen that shards are able to effect the world they exist in (ie. Ruin and the ash). If a single shard is trying to rule a world, what better way to do it then to control the environment.

ANOTHER thought: The Spren are shard related in that they are possibly the 3 shards that are being suppressed by the Broken One and are trying to communicate with somebody (ie. Preservation and the mist image) to help bring their plans to the forefront.

Now my only problem with these two ideas is that I have examples of them in Brandon's previous works, and seeing as Brandon has learned a lot since Mistborn or Elantris he will probably choose not to relive the same plot points for his epic.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:30:46 AM »
Just a note- There are four shards+ Ruin and Preservation in published books.

Readers have met four shards other than Ruin and Preservation.

You've interacted with two directly.
One is a tough call.  You've never met the Shard itself, but you've seen its power. 
The other one you have not met directly, but have seen its influence.
- From the HoA Q&A.

tidje90

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »
I am pretty sure he has some magic already.  We saw it in the first chapters where in battle he developed a blur around him and superhuman speed.  Is it magic he controls or is it magic being placed upon him, maybe by Syl.

The super human speed might just have been how Cenn, a new recruit,  perceived Kaladin the veteran.
The blur on the other hand could just as well have been Syl watching Kaladin close when things became interesting.

Just to see the previwe in several ways.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
This is a little random, but I really like the sketches in the books. Are they your work Ink? They seem to be similar to some of the Mistborn pictures you've posted.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »
Inkthinker did all the nature sketches.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 09:54:01 PM »
Yeah, I don't have eidetic memory like Shallan (sadly), but I try my best.  ;D

There's a good bit of visual concept work that I did for Brandon early on which will probably never see wide release until someone gets around to assembling an Art Of book, which I should think will be a few years down the line. Though if you can make it to Dragon*Con you might be able to get a glimpse or three.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:19:59 PM »

There's a good bit of visual concept work that I did for Brandon early on which will probably never see wide release until someone gets around to assembling an Art Of book, which I should think will be a few years down the line. Though if you can make it to Dragon*Con you might be able to get a glimpse or three.

I have a make shift book binder in my closet I made out of left over wood and 2 clamps and some Gorilla Glue for the binding. Send em all my way, I'll make the art book and keep it for myself. Bwahaha!  >:(
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »

I'd just like to say that those were all really cool sketches, and I look forward to seeing them in the full book. :)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
Bah. I feel so evil knowing everything going on, well, as much as can be known from book one. I have the power to tease, and am having trouble not abusing it (I can hold back spoilers though, don't worry there =] ). And the sketches are awesome, great reference point for how the creatures look, amazing job on them Ink!
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Hearttlight

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
Bah. I feel so evil knowing everything going on, well, as much as can be known from book one. I have the power to tease, and am having trouble not abusing it (I can hold back spoilers though, don't worry there =] ). And the sketches are awesome, great reference point for how the creatures look, amazing job on them Ink!

I expect a speculation topic for the whole book any moment now.  ;)

Hearttlight

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »
The blur on the other hand could just as well have been Syl watching Kaladin close when things became interesting.

I do wonder, can anyone see Syl? I mean, if I remember correctly, Kaladin says that most people can see her kind and that they are common, but why doesn't anyone else see Syl? Does she choose to be seen, or is thát his magic? Like the magic in Deverry (if anyone even read those?).