Author Topic: [Super Spoiler Alert!] Mistborn compared to new Inception Movie!  (Read 5352 times)

Wolfstar

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: [Super Spoiler Alert!] Mistborn compared to new Inception Movie!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 12:35:35 AM »

In reality Vin and Ariadne have very little in common other then they are a new comer to the group/lifestyle.  Also I think Ellen Page should play both, but I digress. 

Hottest.  Vin.  EVER!
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Tegal Savian

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 08:35:46 AM »
I saw no similarities. I think this is a stretch and you're just seeing archetypes.
Yup!  I have to agree.  I saw no similarities whatsoever.

I am hope ...

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
Just because they're archetypes doesn't make it not interesting to see how the details fit together.

From now on I'm going to recommend Mistborn as the Inception of fantasy books.  That'll get people's attention. ;D
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

IKilledAsmodean

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »
When I saw Inception I thought Immediately about the Way of Kings. It practically acted out the lashing magic of Szeth. I think that was the only reason I liked the movie.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 10:16:10 AM »
The only connection that I can see between Mistborn and Inception is that Christopher Nolan would probably make an awesome MB movie.

;D

I think the best interpretation of Inception is that the whole film, from one end to the other, is a dream. The only "real" people are Cobb and Miles (his old teacher), and possibly Ariadne and Saito. The idea that's being incepted isn't the whole plot with the heir and the corporation, it's the idea that Cobb needs to accept his role in Mal's death, and then he needs to wake up and go home to his kids. It's only at the end that he finally abandons the dream, when he lets go of Mal's totem.

Remember, that top was never his totem, and he made it quite clear that A)a totem must never be handled by anyone else, and 2)a "tainted" totem can lie to you.

Hence, Mallory's spinning top has been lying to him the whole time, telling him he's awake when he's not. His guilt over her death has trapped him in a series of layered dreams where he can wallow in self-persecution. Miles provides him with Ariadne (named for the princess that helps lead Theseus out of the minotaur's labyrinth), who's particularly key to getting Cobb to recognize what he needs to in order to get himself out of his own personal hell.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
The only connection that I can see between Mistborn and Inception is that Christopher Nolan would probably make an awesome MB movie.

;D

I think the best interpretation of Inception is that the whole film, from one end to the other, is a dream. The only "real" people are Cobb and Miles (his old teacher), and possibly Ariadne and Saito. The idea that's being incepted isn't the whole plot with the heir and the corporation, it's the idea that Cobb needs to accept his role in Mal's death, and then he needs to wake up and go home to his kids. It's only at the end that he finally abandons the dream, when he lets go of Mal's totem.

Remember, that top was never his totem, and he made it quite clear that A)a totem must never be handled by anyone else, and 2)a "tainted" totem can lie to you.

Hence, Mallory's spinning top has been lying to him the whole time, telling him he's awake when he's not. His guilt over her death has trapped him in a series of layered dreams where he can wallow in self-persecution. Miles provides him with Ariadne (named for the princess that helps lead Theseus out of the minotaur's labyrinth), who's particularly key to getting Cobb to recognize what he needs to in order to get himself out of his own personal hell.

I really like this.  Basically what you are saying is, it doesn't matter what the top did at the end of the movie, because it wasn't his totem to begin with.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
Well, the thing is that that the only other person to touch the top is dead.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
It doesn't matter. The top is lying, because it's an illusion, part of Cobb's dream. It appears to be stuttering at the end, but what's really important is the understanding that Cobb has abandoned it, that what it tells us is no longer relevant.

I don't think we ever learn what Cobb's totem should properly be, but if we do see it in flashback or something, that would be an additional clue pointing to the fact that it should NOT be Mallory's spinning top.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 10:59:54 PM »
Wait, my understanding of how the totem works is that you have an item that only you know the weight and feel of, that way when you go into someone else's dream, they don't know how that item is balanced so it can't be recreated.  It's  not that a totem becomes "tainted", the reason you're not supposed to let someone else touch the totem is so that they can't recreate it, allowing you to differentiate between reality and dream.  It's the totem, it's someone else using the totem against you.  Now letting someone you trust is still a bad idea because, if they know the item, they subconsciously make it accurate making it useless in that person's dream.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 11:54:48 PM »
Exactly but how does Cobb know that his wife's totem is that weight and not a different weight? It might be a recreation from the beginning. Only she'd know which is why we can (if you want to) assume that it is fake.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.