Author Topic: The Paolini Takedown Challenge  (Read 9763 times)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: The Paolini Takedown Challenge
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 08:31:30 AM »
The problem is that I don't know anyone that reads fantasy.  I have one friend that reads history books, other then that I they don't read at all.  I got my wife to read a book, but it was twilight.  I tried to get her to read Harry Potter to get her started on Fantasy but she never finished the first book.
You're life is depressing.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 02:30:13 PM »
I'm with Fireborn on that one...

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 12:29:42 AM »
:nod: If my girl wasn't an avid reader like me i'd go insane. It's the only way I can get her to shut up sometimes. (meant in the nicest way possible, she talks a lot)
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »
I still get at least an hour of reading in a day.  Its just that my book collection only gets read by me. At least I read my books multiple times so it is not like I buy them, read them, and store them.  There are only few books in my collection that have not been read multiple times.  I think there is 1 that I never finished because it sucked that much. 

Granted my wife is from the Philippines so reading is probably not as easy for her as it is for most of us.  English is not her primary language and I don't think Brandon's books come in tagalog.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
And to my good friend Phaz...Hoooow the hell do you have that many copies of these books?!

Mostly to give away or lend out.  At any given time I probably have ~30ish copies on my bookshelf.  That includes what I consider to be my own copies, those that are signed/numbered/ARCs/etc.  Some of those have been read, many haven't.  Then I have a stockpile of at least 1-2 of each of his books (in hardcover and paperback) that are just normal copies I can lend out.  I tend to have a lot of dinner parties and things where people are over and we start talking about books.  It's pretty common for someone to leave with one.  Ideally I have a couple free copies of everything but have been getting short on some (like MB1).   I don't keep any kind of list (other than mentally) of who has what book or exactly how many copies are out there, but that doesn't bother me.  I just tell people to keep them if they want or better yet pass them on to a friend, then I pick up more as needed. 

For instance about a year before TGS came out (but everyone knew Brandon was finishing the series) I was traveling and picked up a copy of MB1 for my trip (was doing another reread).  I read most it on my trip, and after I got back I was going up the escalator after the tram (At DIA) and a guy noticed my book and said he heard Sanderson was going to finish WoT and was asking how good he was.  I told him I loved Sanderson and MB was a great place to start.  I ended up just giving him that copy because of how interested he was and knowing I have more at home.

Too me the cost of a book is often much much less than the amount of enjoyment I get from it (especially compared to movies and other forms of entertainment).  I'll often just be in a book store and pick up a copy of a book I already have just to have one.

Like for Way of Kings my plan is to preorder one from Sam Wellers (to be sure I get a signed/numbered copy) and make the trip out to Utah for the BYU release (should be possible but there's always a chance I can't make it, hence the other copy).  Then I'll probably grab 3 copies off amazon, one to read plus two to lend out, if those two go quick I'll grab one or two more.

A good portion of those books are also from something I did on the site Reddit.  I love the community there and wanted to do something nice so I did this.   From my calculations based on the books I sent out, the people of those that said they had a friend/family member/etc who would read them and the people from the threads or who sent me a message saying they were picking up one of the books because of that, I converted over 100 people to Brandon, and that's just the ones I know about.  I got lots of messages from people after they read the books who I'm sure will pass the joy on to their friends.  That alone was over 60 copies of his books.

Brandon once compared me to being a drug pusher for his books.  I'd say that's pretty accurate.  When I find something I love, I share it with as many people as I can (both those I know and those I don't).  Books are a big part of that but certainly not the only thing.

I plan on doing a similar thing for WoK when it comes out, and then another for The Name of the Wind a couple months before the sequel for that comes out.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 04:40:10 AM »
You all could learn a lesson from Phaz here! Really, in an ideal world, we could all be Phazes (Phazi?) and drug-push Brandon straight to fortune and fame!

I think I'm going to adopt your philosophy. Hope you don't mind.

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 03:46:23 AM »
In term of the polini debate, c.p. did write decent cliche fantasy. I have read and greatly enjoyed his books. Sanderson is my favorite author and he is much more talented than polini but that does not detract from polini's young accomplishments. I think people should not  bash his desire to finish his breakout series without others influence. No one on this forum has made an accomplishment like his and therefor do not have the situational knowledge polini did when deciding to turn down classes.

The fourth book will be released. Polini has stated that he will make the dragon seeries into 4 books. He takes too long to publish but not all can be sandersons.

Also phaz, what is the name of wind
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
In term of the polini debate, c.p. did write decent cliche fantasy. I have read and greatly enjoyed his books. Sanderson is my favorite author and he is much more talented than polini but that does not detract from polini's young accomplishments. I think people should not  bash his desire to finish his breakout series without others influence. No one on this forum has made an accomplishment like his and therefor do not have the situational knowledge polini did when deciding to turn down classes.

The fourth book will be released. Polini has stated that he will make the dragon seeries into 4 books. He takes too long to publish but not all can be sandersons.

Also phaz, what is the name of wind

I don't think the debate is whether he's a good author or not, but rather whether Brandon's fanbase has enough of the same mentality as the Marines (You know, 'The Few, The Proud?' ) to surpass him.

on another note I'm pretty sure the wind is named Georgiana

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »
No, they called the wind Moria!

j/k

The Name of the Wind is a fantastic book written by Patrick Rothfuss. Read it. It's like... ...what Harry Potter could have been if he was 300 times more awesome.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
You all could learn a lesson from Phaz here! Really, in an ideal world, we could all be Phazes (Phazi?) and drug-push Brandon straight to fortune and fame!

I think I'm going to adopt your philosophy. Hope you don't mind.

I don't mind, it's all about sharing.

The Name of the Wind is, as someone said, a book by Patrick Rothfuss.  It's great.  People I recommend books to always finish the ones I recommend and ask for more, that's one I very commonly recommend.   People love it, for good reason.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
The Name of the Wind is a great book but he has taken so long to churn out the sequel that I honestly can't recall most of it. Time for a reread before the second books release in March. One of the few books in the 1st person perspective that works for me. Very cool.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 09:38:28 PM »
And to my good friend Phaz...Hoooow the hell do you have that many copies of these books?!

Mostly to give away or lend out.  At any given time I probably have ~30ish copies on my bookshelf.  That includes what I consider to be my own copies, those that are signed/numbered/ARCs/etc.  Some of those have been read, many haven't.  Then I have a stockpile of at least 1-2 of each of his books (in hardcover and paperback) that are just normal copies I can lend out.  I tend to have a lot of dinner parties and things where people are over and we start talking about books.  It's pretty common for someone to leave with one.  Ideally I have a couple free copies of everything but have been getting short on some (like MB1).   I don't keep any kind of list (other than mentally) of who has what book or exactly how many copies are out there, but that doesn't bother me.  I just tell people to keep them if they want or better yet pass them on to a friend, then I pick up more as needed. 

For instance about a year before TGS came out (but everyone knew Brandon was finishing the series) I was traveling and picked up a copy of MB1 for my trip (was doing another reread).  I read most it on my trip, and after I got back I was going up the escalator after the tram (At DIA) and a guy noticed my book and said he heard Sanderson was going to finish WoT and was asking how good he was.  I told him I loved Sanderson and MB was a great place to start.  I ended up just giving him that copy because of how interested he was and knowing I have more at home.

Too me the cost of a book is often much much less than the amount of enjoyment I get from it (especially compared to movies and other forms of entertainment).  I'll often just be in a book store and pick up a copy of a book I already have just to have one.

Like for Way of Kings my plan is to preorder one from Sam Wellers (to be sure I get a signed/numbered copy) and make the trip out to Utah for the BYU release (should be possible but there's always a chance I can't make it, hence the other copy).  Then I'll probably grab 3 copies off amazon, one to read plus two to lend out, if those two go quick I'll grab one or two more.

A good portion of those books are also from something I did on the site Reddit.  I love the community there and wanted to do something nice so I did this.   From my calculations based on the books I sent out, the people of those that said they had a friend/family member/etc who would read them and the people from the threads or who sent me a message saying they were picking up one of the books because of that, I converted over 100 people to Brandon, and that's just the ones I know about.  I got lots of messages from people after they read the books who I'm sure will pass the joy on to their friends.  That alone was over 60 copies of his books.

Brandon once compared me to being a drug pusher for his books.  I'd say that's pretty accurate.  When I find something I love, I share it with as many people as I can (both those I know and those I don't).  Books are a big part of that but certainly not the only thing.

I plan on doing a similar thing for WoK when it comes out, and then another for The Name of the Wind a couple months before the sequel for that comes out.
And thus we see that Phaz has a buttload of expendable income.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »
And thus we see that Phaz has a buttload of expendable income.

Books are cheap :)

Lunch costs me more than a paperback.  I think of giving a paperback to a friend as not much more than buying them lunch, except the book is typically more filling.

A good number of those are hardcovers as well (the one in the airport was, I almost exclusively read hardcovers, I just like the feel more, it adds to the experience), but with amazon and other online sites those aren't all that expensive.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 03:04:45 PM »
Yeah I only buy new hardcover books as well if I have a choice.   I started doing that after my first few paperback WoT books fell apart on me :D.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
Yeah I only buy new hardcover books as well if I have a choice.   I started doing that after my first few paperback WoT books fell apart on me :D.

Yeah, I'm going to have to rebuy the entire series, mine are falling apart.

I buy paperbacks to lend, and Hardcovers for my personal collection.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]