Author Topic: The Paolini Takedown Challenge  (Read 10199 times)

Hobbun

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Paolini Takedown Challenge
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »
I really do not know who Paolini is, never read any of his books. And never heard of about any of them until I saw “Eragorn” mentioned. And that was only because I heard of the movie (never saw it).

I can’t say I have any plans of reading him, not with my backlog, and especially the not so nice comments I have heard. However, that being said, I don’t wish anything bad against the guy. If he truly published his first novel at 18 years old, I say all the more power to him.

Good luck with that, guys. However, I do have hope that over the long run Brandon will sell more books. He's not an overnight success—but he keeps getting more and more popular, as well as writing more and more.

As long as he doesn’t publish ‘too’ much at once. Not that I don’t want to see more of Brandon writing, of course I do. But the last thing I want to see is Brandon burn himself out and/or start putting works that is not his usual quality stuff.  Quality over quantity.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:43:14 PM by Hobbun »

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
But both is definitely best.  ;D

EDIT- I wish we could, but I don't have much hope for it in a year, Especially considering that Paolini's sold 20 million books according to this site.

http://www.theauthorhour.com/christopher-paolini/

And the difference between us and Kelsier is that he was an awesome Mistborn with experience. We are but puny mortals (well, I guess except for those claiming to be Shards).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:59:33 PM by Terrisman243 »

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
Eragon,  great book, hated the movie.  My main gripe about this movie was how 3 separate races (dwarfs, humans, and elves) all became humans in the movie.  I read the book before the movie ever came out and the movie was just so blatantly wrong.

I like the way that Brandon is publishing his books currently.  He has at least one book a year, normally more, but he doesn't tie himself down to one series.  I think that would keep your mind more agile and less likely to burn out.  Granted the work and deadlines he has set due to WoT have to be stressing on him some.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: FREEDOM!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »
Good luck with that, guys. However, I do have hope that over the long run Brandon will sell more books. He's not an overnight success—but he keeps getting more and more popular, as well as writing more and more.

That's what I was thinking! I also think that's why all his books have better sales ratings.

I think we can do it in a year though!

Come on guys! When Yeden came to Kelsier and said "Hey, man, you know what'd be neat? Bringin' down the Final Empire!" did he say "Whah? Do you have any idea how many books the Lord Ruler sells? Its called the FINAL Empire 'cause its FINAL!"?

NO! He said "That sounds awesome, little Skaa dude! Lemme get my friends together and we'll play with some chalk, spitball a bit, eh?"

And after a year of planning, building armies, and political finageling, they pulled it off!

If Kelsier and his crew can dismantle a thousand year empire in a year, I think we can beat a measly sales record! I mean, we don't even have to worry about losing the army halfway through because once books are bought they're bought!

So join forces with my, my brothers! Let us take up our arms, in the forms of our pens, keyboards, voices and, most importantly, credit cards and other devices of monetary compensation! Let us look in the face of death and say "Wait a minute...when did death get involved? I thought we were trying to get people to buy books!" Let us topple the odds in the sort of way that only an underdog really can! WHO'S WITH ME?!

/Inspirational speechrant. For more, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn! DEATH! DEATH! DEEAATH!!
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 05:00:41 PM »

I have done my part.  I have only purchased 3 Paolini books and. . . uhm.

EL - 4 copies
FE - 3 copies
WoA - 5 copies
HoA - 3 copies
WB - 2 copies

Al 1 - 1 copy
Al 2 - 1 copy
Al 3 - 1 copy

EL Vol 1 Jap - 1 copy
EL vol 2 Jap - 1 copy

FE vol 1 Jap - 1 copy
FE vol 2 Jap - 1 copy

TGS - 1 copy

I've done 3 Paolini books and at least 100 of Brandon's.  I'm sure I'll have another 30 of Brandon's done by that deadline with Way of Kings and ToM. :)

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
I enjoyed Eragon and Eldest, but I don't remember a thing about the third one...and even though I liked the books, and I was impressed that he published at 15, I saw elements torn directly out of just about every single fantasy book I've ever read. He's not particularly creative, he just mixes everything at his local library together and makes a story out of it.

That said, I don't think he'll be writing past the Inheritance Cycle, and it'll die off pretty quickly after book 4. Not to mention he only publishes a book every four to five years, which irks me to no end. Brandon is a newer writer, but I don't think it would take much to make him hugely popular--his is the best stuff I've ever read. I have the same problem as Wolfstar--my friends don't read. At all. I've gotten one friend to read Sanderson--and she loved it to pieces--but no one else will even try. So those of you who have book groups or make friendships because of your reading styles will probably have a lot better luck with this than I will.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »

I have done my part.  I have only purchased 3 Paolini books and. . . uhm.

EL - 4 copies
FE - 3 copies
WoA - 5 copies
HoA - 3 copies
WB - 2 copies

Al 1 - 1 copy
Al 2 - 1 copy
Al 3 - 1 copy

EL Vol 1 Jap - 1 copy
EL vol 2 Jap - 1 copy

FE vol 1 Jap - 1 copy
FE vol 2 Jap - 1 copy

TGS - 1 copy

Lets see. I have 1 copy of each of Christopher Paolini's books,

1 Elantris
2 Warbreaker
2 Final Empire
2 Well of Ascension
2 Hero of Ages
1 Evil Librarians
1 Scriveners Bones
1 Knights of Chrystalia
1 The Gathering Storm

and preordered- 1 Way of Kings, 1 Shattered Lens, 1 Towers of Midnight.
bought and given away: 1 FE, 1 WoA,  1 HoA

If I can ever find a hardback copy of Elantris, it's mine.

I'll eventually get another copy of Way of Kings ,I'm sure.

[/color]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:47:16 AM by Valkynphyre »
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »
To ye naysayers, I say...Is there any harm in trying?

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 08:47:49 PM »
I finished the trilogy (the cycle thing is never gunna happen, it's a trilogy of ultimate lack of ending) and I felt Brisingr was better then Eldest but still wasn't all that great. Kid really shoulda taken those classes.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:07 PM »
There better be a fourth book.  There is no real ending to the third.  Just a lead in to another book.  If there is not another book then all three books are a complete failure.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
Since we're making lists, and I have this love of making lists.. it's an issue, a list issue.

I have...

2 Final Empire (1pb, 1hc)
2 Well of Ascension (1pb, 1hc)
2 Hero of Ages (1pb, 1hc)
2 Warbreaker (1pb, 1hc)
1 Elantris (hc)

I have given as gifts...

6 Final Empire (4pb, 2hc)
4 Elantris (3pb, 1hc)
4 Warbreaker (hc)

So I think I've done my part.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 06:55:23 AM »
I like Eldest better than the other two.  Roran's side story is great.  It's one thing I've never really seen done in any other book.

To ye naysayers, I say...Is there any harm in trying?
Maybe, instead of simply pushing Brandon's work in general, your challenge should be to get people you know you've read Eragon to read Brandon!
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »
The problem is that I don't know anyone that reads fantasy.  I have one friend that reads history books, other then that I they don't read at all.  I got my wife to read a book, but it was twilight.  I tried to get her to read Harry Potter to get her started on Fantasy but she never finished the first book.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
Similar problem here. Most of the people I know who read fantasy have already read him, either by request of me or my dad. Only exception is my sister, who I'm not sure why she's ignored our suggestions... Perhaps that can be my challenge. To convince her to read him. Won't have any affect on the over-all challenge, but then again, I have never bought a Paolini book in my life, and neither has anyone in my family, so...yeah.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 06:41:48 AM »
ye party poopers doth rain on my parade too much!

I like the idea of attempting to convert Eragon readers.

And to my good friend Phaz...Hoooow the hell do you have that many copies of these books?!