Author Topic: Way of King Discussion (Chapters 4-6) *SPOILER ALERT*  (Read 7655 times)

rjl

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Way of King Discussion (Chapters 4-6) *SPOILER ALERT*
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
I'm not an alpha reader, nor do I have one of the ARC copies that were given away, so I've only read the first 6 chapters like everyone else, but, there was the wind swirling around him in the battle, which implied something, also, a Brandon main character without any abilities? Plus, I read a comment from someone who had read an arc that suggested something...

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 12:09:22 PM »

Awe, you caught me.  I was hoping to throw you off the trail. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »
I'm not an alpha reader, nor do I have one of the ARC copies that were given away, so I've only read the first 6 chapters like everyone else, but, there was the wind swirling around him in the battle, which implied something, also, a Brandon main character without any abilities? Plus, I read a comment from someone who had read an arc that suggested something...
It's not entirely out of the question.  I once read a book where the main premise was that everyone in the world used magic except the main character.  Wish I could remember the title though.

I'd also like a viewpoint from the heretic, I'm sure she's a very interesting character.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »

And actually come to think of it, in Scribbler, Joel can't use magic.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 07:08:41 PM »
And Sarene is the main character of Elantris, also without magical abilities.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 11:10:04 PM »
This discussion (of Kaladin and magic) is difficult to have without spoilers. I would only point out that just because magical things happen around Kaladin isn't necessarily indicative of any magic that is inherently his.

Really, this is a conversation that should be tabled until after August.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 11:14:41 PM »
It's not entirely out of the question.  I once read a book where the main premise was that everyone in the world used magic except the main character.  Wish I could remember the title though.

You might be thinking of Jim Butcher's "Codex Alera", a six book series where everyone in the world controls one or more elemental spirits, except for the main character who begins the series with no powers at all.

Good books, but I like his "Dresden Files" much better.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 06:06:17 AM »

You might be thinking of Jim Butcher's "Codex Alera", a six book series where everyone in the world controls one or more elemental spirits, except for the main character who begins the series with no powers at all.

Good books, but I like his "Dresden Files" much better.
No, that wasn't it.  The magic was more general, and the whole point was that the main character never got any powers.  He was just a normal kid living in a world full of sorcerers.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
I just finished listening to chapters 4-6.  I am glad to see that the magic system that was introduced here was not introduced in a battle.  It shows more use of this magic system and how it relates to the real world and not just the endless battle that seems to be going on. 

For some reason, at the end of chapter 6, I expected Kaladin to no longer be in the bridge crew.  Maybe take up a sword after someone got killed or something like that and prove his worth, maybe show off his "magic".  It may still happen, who knows?  Well other then the advanced readers.

Shallon seems to be progressing well. I think alot of people may not be interested in her as much because her parts are not action oriented like Kalidins are.  As a character she is progressing and we are getting more of her background out of it.  In her current situation she seems totally in over her head.  It will be interesting to see how she handles it.

Now for Kalidin's magic.  As of this far in, not being an advanced reader, I am not sure if it is his magic or is the spirit that is always with him.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 01:09:50 AM »
Remember that Kaladin is a slave, and moreover he's a branded slave, with a mark on his forehead that means "dangerous". Most people will see him as little better than a mad dog that needs to be kept on a leash. Nobody is going to give him a weapon, much less let him keep one he picks up.

Plus, him being a slave wouldn't have much impact if it was over two chapters after it began.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »
Granted.  Just reading the chapter it seamed like it was heading that way.  With him begging for a spear to join the army. 

I honestly think that at some point he is going to be a member of the army.  How is he going to accomplish that.  The only way I see is by taking part in the battle after dropping the bridge at its final location.  It would be  anti-climatic if that happened the first time he was on bridge detail though. 

As I see it currently he has two options (because he can't stay a slave forever).  The first is to escape. As it states he has done this before and been recaptured, with his brand I do not find this likely.  The other is to pay off his debt.  Being a member of the bridge crew, and the amount of time it would take to accomplish, the only way I see this as possible is if his status rises.   The guy in charge of him hates him so I think he will either be left behind at a battle and be picked up by the other company, or he will somehow prove himself in battle.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
I guess we'll see. It could just end up being a case of not being able to take the army out of the man, so to speak. I'd be fine with seeing Kaladin stay a slave for quite a while, given that a hard struggle would make the pay off that much sweeter. :)

Will be interesting to see if we get any payoff on whether his Spren friend is significant. :)

This discussion (of Kaladin and magic) is difficult to have without spoilers. I would only point out that just because magical things happen around Kaladin isn't necessarily indicative of any magic that is inherently his.

Really, this is a conversation that should be tabled until after August.

I agree, but then again, I'm more interested in the sorts of questions we ask than what the answers are until I can actually read the book. For now it's much more interesting to discuss what they characters are like in chapters 1-6, while I can still hang around. Looks like I won't have as long a hiatus as I did for Warbreaker, too, given that we're expecting to get WoK around September in New Zealand.