Author Topic: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn  (Read 4463 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
« on: June 16, 2010, 01:48:04 AM »
For those of you not in the know, Golden Sun and it's sequel are my favorite games ever. Last year at E3 they unveiled Golden Sun DS. Now it's called Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, which is a really ingenious title, given it's awesome logo. And because finding all the info on the title is a little difficult (hell, IGN doesn't even have the video uploaded yet. Shame on them!) I'm going to post some info right here!

The premise is this: the world was reborn in Golden Sun (spoiler warning :P). New countries have formed and the world is very different. However, there are these Psynergy vortexes which are taking the magic away. So our heroes are going to try and push back the darkness. Hence the title, Dark Dawn.

As for characters, we knew from last E3 that our heroes were the "descendants" of the previous game. This worried me because these characters looked quite similar (especially our new main character to Isaac), and I think anything loses credibility when descendants look exactly the same as people a thousand years ago. Not to worry, though! Apparently the game happens thirty years after the end of the Lost Age, and these heroes are just the next generation. I don't have a problem with that.

The screenshots suggest that their names are Matthew, Karis, Terrell, and Crown. Matthew is the Isaac looking one, Karis is the girl with green hair, Terrell kinda looks like Garet, and Crown... well, he's only in a few screenshots, and doesn't have an awesome character art thing just yet, so I don't know who he is.

Quick analysis: Matthew is very similar to Isaac, Terrell is similar to Garet. As for Karis, she wears an outfit sorta similar to Jenna, so that's what I'm going from here. Though, none of the main characters from the original games had green hair, so that's quite odd.

So, discuss. Is Karis Jenna's daughter? If so, who is the father? Golden Sun's a good game because unlike other JRPGs, they remember that it takes two to tango. The main character didn't just have a mom, but had two parents. Shocking. Thus, if you recall, Jenna always had a thing for Isaac. If they got together, I'd imagine, then, that Matthew and Karis are siblings. Who was it that Garet liked again?

I'm not sure I'm sold on the names, but at least Karis sounds pretty cool.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JhqdFxOyqc
Character art:
http://ds.ign.com/dor/objects/949592/golden-sun-dark-dawn/images/e3-2010-golden-sun-dark-dawn-screens-20100615105801158.html
http://ds.ign.com/dor/objects/949592/golden-sun-ds/images/e3-2010-golden-sun-dark-dawn-screens-20100615105749330.html
http://ds.ign.com/dor/objects/949592/golden-sun-dark-dawn/images/e3-2010-golden-sun-dark-dawn-screens-20100615105731471.html

One thing I didn't like about the new trailer is that the music felt... subpar. Mind you, I still listen to the originals' soundtracks to this day, so I'm hoping that the music in this game feels as iconic as the other two. Which means I sincerely hope Motoi Sakuraba is doing the music, as he did for the other games (he also did the music for Baten Kaitos, which had an excellent soundtrack).

Probably the most important fact is that Dark Dawn comes out Holiday 2010. Looks like this fall I'll be playing through the first two games again. My playthrough is overdue as it is.

Anyways, that's my rant for today. If there's other Golden Sun fans who come online frequently, let the theorizing begin :D

Also
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »

8 years.  8 really long years I have been waiting!  I can't wait! I started a while back working on a file on each of the old carts to get everyone to level 99 on each. xD  I hope you get at least SOME goodies for having done EVERYTHING on the two old games.

This game is supposed to be the big one.  They said the first two were just a prequel to the better game or something along those lines.  Looking at the graphics I'll bet it will have everything in the cart to be compatible with the new 3DS features.

I honestly would forever give up my iPhone and iPad to have this game right now.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »
Well, any DS game is compatible with the 3DS. In fact, I don't think I would mind if they had just made it on the 3DS for the superior graphics capability.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:27:59 AM »

No, I mean like, have the data for 3D images to be rendered on the 3DS.  There are already a few games made to be able to do that.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:19:44 PM »

Squeeeeeeee!!!!!!

OMGSH!  Yay for gameplay vids! =D  I am soooo totally stoked for this game.  I don't think I have EVER been this excited for a video game.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
Yeah, the demos were great.

One fansite pointed out to me that around minute 2 (of that video you linked), there seems to be a poster of Saturos.

I find it interesting that it's all rendered on the bottom screen.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:19:11 AM »
Golden Sun update!

First, it looks like Karis is a Jupiter Adept (who has healing Psynergy! Wee!). In a Japanese magazine the creators said that Dark Dawn is not split into two games, so there you have it.

Today I also beat Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age again. I still love these games.

hubay

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 05:44:19 AM »
Ah wow I had forgotten how good the originals were. I sold my gba a while back, though. Might need to emula – er, buy it back again. I was always sad they left it at two games, looking forward to this now.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »

I've been waiting for the end of this story for eight darn years!  I was there the day Lost Age went on sale.  Can't wait to finally see the end.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。