Author Topic: Mistborn Movie-Casting?  (Read 34218 times)

Xephyr

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn Movie-Casting?
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:58:55 AM »
First off, hey guys, I'm Xephyr, new here.

Anyways, for those who haven't heard:
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/856/Mistborn-Movie-News

So we really don't have any information about the movie other than that it's going to be made, I want to hear your ideas and opinions on how we think the movie should be done. 

If it falls through, who do you think should be cas as the major characters in the movie?  I haven't seen anybody that has stood out enough to be like any of these characters, but I'm sure somebody here has.  What do you think?
We need actors/actresses for:
Vin
Kelsier
Sazed
Dockson
Breeze
Ham
Spook
Clubs
Elend
The Lord Ruler
and obviously others
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:14:20 AM by Xephyr »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Mistborn Movie
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:07:46 AM »
I wouldn't get too excited... last I'd heard, the odds on Mistborn were way behind the odds on Alcatraz.

It's great that someone invested in the license, but that's not the same as entering pre-production.

Unless something has changed recently?

Xephyr

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Movie
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:11:39 AM »
Like I said, I don't know anything other than there's a company legitimately interested in making the movie.  In a way, this is one of those books that I think just wouldn't work out as a movie, but if they're going to make it I might as well support it.

link389

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Movie-Casting?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:11:32 AM »
To be honest, as I was reading the books I couldn't help but imagine what awesomely epic movies these books would make in the hands of a good director, producer and scriptwriter.  They're such visual books that were almost meant to be put into a visual medium (if you have a look around the fan-art, you'll see what I mean).  Of course, with any book-film translation, if done badly, it can ruin the movie.  I think if they went for the angle Summit went on with Twilight (Staying so honest to the books, it's frightening) would be excellent, and I honestly wouldn't mind sitting through a 5 hour movie of Mistborn, but since that's not possible, I would just really like a good movie.
As to the casting?  I'm absolutely stumped.  Vin's and Kelsier's and Elend's shoes are very difficult ones to fill, and it would be a difficult movie for a 16 year old girl to film (think: ending).
But that's my two cents.
"Light shines through the sands of time,
As down the Aeonglass it pours,
Until the Darkness shift the glass
And bring the Lords to Bloody shores."

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:40:53 AM »
What I'm worried about is since Paloppa pictures is such a new movie, will they have the budget for Mistborn.  Some movies can go cheap on the special effects, but the special effects are such a central part of mistborn that there's no ignoring them, and they just have to be done right.

Ellen Page for Vin.  She's an excellent actress, has the build and coloring, and she's Canadian, which is a definate plus.
I decided on her as soon as I heard there might be a movie.  My friend thinks her face might be a bit too round, as she pictured Vin to have very angular features, which I agree with her on, but I think the many many pluses out-weigh the one bad side.

Google her.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:13 AM »
My brother would probably smack you for saying that being Canadian is a plus, but he's crazy so you're fine.
I'm not so sure, her stuff so far doesn't strike me as the right...mood for Vin?  I'm not she's bad, far from it, I thought Juno was hilarious, but I just don't see her working as Vin.

I recommend Nathan Fillion as Kelsier, his acting dynamic of charming versus scary is spot on for Kelsier's dichotomic existence.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

link389

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:55:16 AM »
As to the budget, I'm not sure what sort of money would be needed.  You have the ash and the mist, which would probably be easy enough to do now that I think about it.  And then you have the actual Allomancy, very few of which would require computer-generated effects (Atium, and Seekers--I can't remember the metal's name).  I think that the city of Luthadel would have to be computer generated (like what they did with Hogwarts), and have all the different sections filmed in existing places.  There's the inquisitors, which could probably be done with prosthetics and fake tattooing.  BUt besides that, I think a lot of it can be done with wires and pulleys and greeen screen.
As to what sort of budget Pallopa is capable of, I don't know. It would really depend on the Producers, I think (if my understanding of the film industry is right...which it probably isn't).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:56:51 AM by link389 »

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 01:19:11 AM »
As to the budget, I'm not sure what sort of money would be needed.  You have the ash and the mist, which would probably be easy enough to do now that I think about it.  And then you have the actual Allomancy, very few of which would require computer-generated effects (Atium, and Seekers--I can't remember the metal's name).  I think that the city of Luthadel would have to be computer generated (like what they did with Hogwarts), and have all the different sections filmed in existing places.  There's the inquisitors, which could probably be done with prosthetics and fake tattooing.  BUt besides that, I think a lot of it can be done with wires and pulleys and greeen screen.
As to what sort of budget Pallopa is capable of, I don't know. It would really depend on the Producers, I think (if my understanding of the film industry is right...which it probably isn't).
My understanding is that one studio develops the script and another does the actual filming, usually a much bigger studio.

Haha, you say all that stuff like it's easy when it's decidedly not.  All of that takes millions of dollars to make happen at all, let alone well.

link389

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 02:34:31 AM »
I didn't mean to make it sound easy... :-\ I know it would take a boat-load of work and money, but after seeing what movies can be done with certain budgets, I definitely think it could be filmed and produced with a realistic budget.
As I said, though, I don't know a lot about the movie industry.  What I think will take a tiny bit of money may take a million for them.  For me, it's all compare-work.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:04:23 AM »
I know, but that's really what it sounded like.

I think we should have David Tennant or Christopher Eccleston in there somewhere in order to get the Doctor Who fans to come see it.  Also because they're brilliant actors, but that's more beside the point.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
this has been pretty well discussed before here, FYI.

(also, in another thread somewheres, but i dont remember where)

Edit:

Ah, found it. Here

There's probably been more that slipped under my radar, too, by now.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:04:52 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:49 PM »
Ellen page was also in x-men... not sure if that's a plus.
If you think she can't do serious though, watch Hard Candy... scary, but really good.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

MajorTom

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:43:05 AM »
I've always thought Summer Glau would make a good Vin.  She's already proven she can do the "death dealing skinny girl" thing, and she would bring a huge cult following with her.  (Myself included  ;D)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:38:16 AM »
Ellen page was also in x-men... not sure if that's a plus.
If you think she can't do serious though, watch Hard Candy... scary, but really good.
Oh, yeah, Shadowcat, right?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 05:49:39 AM »
Yeah, that's right.

*very mild Hard Candy Spoiler (highlight to read):

"Death dealing skinny girl"->watch hard candy.

*End of Spoilers*
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier