Author Topic: Wise Man's Fear Release Date  (Read 4869 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wise Man's Fear Release Date
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
I have not read these books, but Charlie Stross blogged that his editor made him do this with one of his series. They did it to sell more books. He saids the books ended up being much longer than they would as one book.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 01:20:11 AM »
Well, yeah. Once you split a book, you're changing the structure of the story--now each book needs its own arch with a climax and denoument. So you end up creating more work for yourself by splitting it, and if you designed the story to be a trilogy in the first place, you might even be artificially inflating it by adding more books to the series.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »
I believe Stross wanted to write what he called a 1,000 page door stop, but his publisher wanted to sell more books so he made him do it. I would think that guys who don't have the sales don't have the power to say no. And on top of that, if you are not making alot of money, I don't really blame these guys for doing this.

I went to the library to look for the Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton. It was recommended on here. Apparently the first 2 books of his series were split into 2 and then a year later another version with both of them together were published. I don't think they were changed. My library only got part one of it. Oh well.