Author Topic: June 23 - Silk - Fall, Stars, Fall - L  (Read 4797 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: June 23 - Silk - Fall, Stars, Fall - L
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 09:11:35 AM »
Finally, I'm done.
Keep in mind, I read the second version you sent me.  From the little I read of the first, you did a good job of clarifying when it was Janna and when it was Aryl.  This is a good thing, because I found after the first shift in viewpoint, I didn't notice the tense any more.  It was just Aryl and Janna, not present and past.  I liked your choices for both of them.  Congrats for pulling of present tense.

It did move a little slow for my taste, but the pacing suited the story.  I would have liked a little more dialogue and character interaction, but I don't know where I would have put it.  It was very clean with no unnessessary details, and I liked the comparison drawn between Aryl and Janna when Janna finds her way up to the cliffs, and the way they think of the stars.

Questions:  What was Aryl's relationship to Karson (sp?)  I know he is Janna's father (although that wasn't completely clear at first, but easily figured out, so no changes are needed).  Janna's feelings toward Aryl at the beginning, led me to believe Aryl was some sort of romantic interest of her father, but the interaction between the two was totally platonic.  I could be grasping at straws here (it is 2 am), but that was just my initial thoughts.

I also wondered about the lights thing.  To have a city full of lights without magic or electricity would be extremely impractical.  The imagery is nice, but if they are lanterns, it seems unrealistic.  Your world doesn't seem to be inclined to any particular period, so I'm sure any choice you make will work.

Great read.  glad I finally got around to it!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »
Sorry it took me to long to get to this, work and comic con has kept me busy  :)

I don't have a lot of comments on the story. The writing was great and well done. I felt that the setting, characters, etc were nice and fleshed out for being a short story.

For me the big problems were just the slow pacing of the piece and lack of tension. Tragedy, treachery or murder can always spice up a story like this.

This might just be a matter of personal taste, but the best short stories imo have some sort of bang at the end. They either surprise you or make you think afterwards.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 01:12:45 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yeah, I'm still waffling on the lights. I'm leaning hydroelectric... but we'll see. :)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 03:45:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yeah, I'm still waffling on the lights. I'm leaning hydroelectric... but we'll see. :)

Ooo... A city built into a cliff face, with a waterfall running down the middle to power the hydroelectric generators... I love that image.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 04:51:06 AM »

Okay, so the waterfall image? Is awesome.

I'll have to see if I can make that plausible. Because I like that. Thank you!