Author Topic: May 24th-Drew P- Untitled Prologue  (Read 3039 times)

Drew P

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
May 24th-Drew P- Untitled Prologue
« on: May 24, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »
Be harsh. Be gentle. Whatever. Just be helpful.

This is a very raw, 1st draft so I understand there are a lot of things that need adding/deleting. Just wanting to get a little critique on my style/idea.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Re: May 24th-Drew P- Untitled Prologue
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
There was no attachment to the email.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Drew P

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
i just resent it with the attachment. Sorry about that.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 05:33:31 PM »
Well I gotta say I didn't see the end coming.  I should have, but I didn't.  Which I suppose says "Yay, I'm a good writer," when your audience feels like they should have seen something coming but didn't.

Anyway, I don't really have much to say about it, other then I enjoyed it.  I wanted more setting but since is a Prologue, I didn't care.  Shirtless dude, baggy pants . . . staff of rank.  That's really about it.  If I think of anything more, I'll let you know.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:35:38 PM »
For some reason, I still haven't received this...
~T.S. Eliot

Drew P

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Cynic: I replied with it to your last email. Hope that one went through.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
Finally got it!  

Okay, so upon finishing the prologue, I had one very important yet lingering question:  Why?  I am scratching my head trying to figure out why you put this scene in your prologue.  Prologues generally serve as a hook or an appetizer to whet your reader's appetite for events to come.  As a hook they will generally describe some awesome historical event that your reader will be dying to know how it turns out, how it effects the whole book (e.g. prologue to The Eye of the World).  As an appetizer, it will generally show off the magic and coolness of your story and is usually used when the main story will start out slow (e.g. prologue of A Game of Thrones).

As far as I can tell, this scene does neither of these things.  It's about a boy who is executed who wants the people to unite.  As an event, it is not significant enough to shake the world.  If there is more importance to it, then I missed it.  

The scene doesn't showcase your magic or your world enough to act as a hook either.  There was a vague hint at a ritual at the beginning, but that's it.  It wasn't anything I hadn't seen already in dozens of other fantasy stories.

Anyway, that's why I wondered why you selected it.  What were you trying to do with this scene?

Ok, now on to the writing.  Your second sentence is a headache.  

Even here, far back into the tunnel where the sun that splashed against the walls of the entrance could not reach, the noise was overbearing.

Try putting the last phrase at the front and it will work much better.  Also, the perspective of who’s telling the story slips some in the beginning.  This sentence--

Whether he heard the comment or not was unclear as he calmly went through his Restoration rituals.

--makes it unclear who is telling the story.  Your MC would know whether he heard them or not.

Other than those examples, though, the story was well written.  You write well.  At this point though, I don’t know very well what the story is about, so I don’t have much else to say.

~T.S. Eliot

Justice1337

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:07:55 PM »
I agree with what Cynic said about these two lines.  You should be very, very clear about who your viewpoint character is at any given time and what the level of immersion is.  If immersion is deep like it seems to be through the rest of the chapter, you obviously shouldn't reveal things that someone would never observe in themselves.  "Whether he heard the comment was unclear" can be "he tried to give no sign that he had understood the comment", or something like that.

Another thing about the prose is that the description seems to bounce from detail to detail, without spending enough time on one to fully immerse the reader.  And once the setting is clear, you don't need to worry about it until it changes for some reason.  I read several bits about the overwhelming sound, and it started to interrupt flow for me.  I mean, the first line, then maybe a few more sentences in the next paragraph is enough, I think.

As for substance, the “big reveal” technique could be good to establish your promise as a writer.  The reader thinks, he got me once, let’s see if he can do it again.  So, I can see why you did the execution this way.  One problem for me though is that it was done TOO well, so to speak. 

Here’s what I mean:
“…and so we honor him today. Against all odds he has prevailed!” - Herald
“They love you Druka , now don’t they.” – Orsak

It’s also odd that he knows the name of the one leading him to his execution.  These seem too much like things that would ONLY be said is a certain kind of reception for the King sort of ceremony.  That’s probably the point, but it could lead a reader to feel more tricked than surprised.  You also have to leave out certain details about the pitch of the crowd’s voices and the looks on their faces for this deception to work.  If you were to instead leave the purpose of the gathering completely unclear, or at least if the misdirection were a bit more subtle, you’d still have your “wow” effect, I think.  I mean someone going so quietly to their own execution is going to lead to surprise in itsef.

Otherwise, I keep feeling like the scene could be drawn a lot smaller.  You don’t need as much movement up the platform, through the crowd, etc. and you don’t need the exposition about the cities, the empire whatever that is.  Until you have a proper point of observation anchored in a sympathetic character, all that stuff is going to be forgotten because there’s no reason for the reader to really care.  You can start to see the price you’re paying for your surprise effect, because all you can really talk about is where the character is, how people around him are reacting and then his last words and execution.  You can’t tell the reader why they should care about this character yet because doing so would reveal the fact that he’s done something that he’s to be executed for.

There’s also some minor problems about including both the word “God” and “Leuka” in the same passage, and other small consistency issues, but nothing too major for a first draft.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »
I gotta disagree with you on some of that Leet boy.  I did not find any of the celebritory nature of the death to be over blow or "too misleading," (for lack of a better way of saying it).  As I read it i assumed one of two things was true and wanted to go to the next chapter to see if I was right.  My first assumption was:  It's like the Aztecs, where people thought it was super awesome to be sacrificed.  Then I thought, "Or he's just marching up with dignity to his death.  Perhaps it has some unifying meaning to him.  Perhaps this execution is really the culmination of a lot of work and his death is something that's sealing the deal."  With out more information, we as the reader can't really tell.

I thought it was all neat and was annoyed I lacked a next chapter.

Drew P

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
Well, between Cynic and Justice you guys hit on every problem I saw (that "whether he heard or not was unclear" line I saw right away and cringed on my re-read before submitting) and a few I didn't.

This was originally intended to be a short story that's been extended, then chopped, then extended again...all in my head of course. I also wasn't sure where this scene would go. I settled on the prologue rather than a flashback because they usually irritate me and the story is actually about the boy on the platform. This event is the impetus to his tale.

Cynic, I have to laugh at your take on the "sun splashedwalls' bit. That's my wifes favorite line!  :D I kept wanting to change it, but she loved it for whatever reason. The things we do for women..... ;)

and LTU, I too am annoyed that I lack a finished next chapter. Hopefully that will be forthcoming soon.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 09:41:46 PM »
Okay, maybe it's the English major in me, but the sentence

Even here, far back into the tunnel where the sun that splashed against the walls of the entrance could not reach, the noise was overbearing.

bothers me because it's like running a marathon.   Lets look at it:

(1)  The noise was overbearing. 

(2)  Even here, the noise was overbearing. 

(3)  Even here, far back into the tunnel, the noise was overbearing.

(4) Even here, far back into the tunnel where the sun could not reach, the noise was overbearing.

(5) Even here, far back into the tunnel where the sun that splashed against the walls could not reach, the noise was overbearing.

(6) Even here, far back into the tunnel where the sun that splashed against the walls of the entrance could not reach, the noise was overbearing.

My level of tolerance probably ends after about  number (4) or (5).  After that, I start forgetting what you were trying to say in the first place and think that your final phrase should be bumped earlier.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:46:12 PM by Recovering_Cynic »
~T.S. Eliot

Drew P

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
I suppose I'm supposed to be indignant or defensive or some such, but I am just laughing. I pretty much agree with your premise, but even if I didn't your delivery was classic. Almost poetic.

As I stated above, I was leaning towards rewriting it, but my wife (as all loving wife's do) made me feel good about myself, apparently too good.

Justice1337

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 10:10:03 PM »
The word selection of that sentence is good.  It just needs to be split in two.

Example:
Though the sun splashed against the walls of the entrance, he was too far into the tunnel for it to warm his face.  Only the noise reached him from the outside, and that struck with an overbearing pulse that rattled the air from his lungs.

Or some such description that's maybe less dense.  The ideas are clear, you just need more words.

Drew P

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 11:03:05 PM »
That's a good idea Justice. After reading your comments I realized I let the "noise' overwhelm me. As the original idea came to me that was part of the environment that jumped out at me and I guess I went kind of nuts with it.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »
I'm sorry to be useless, but I have very little to say about this. There's just not enough here to give a meaningful critique.

I will say that I did see the end coming. I suspected it was coming from the tone at the beginning. When the altar was revealed, I was sure. I'm not saying this to brag, or as a criticism. This is a very good thing—it shows you've portrayed the tone of the event accurately enough to communicate what is really going on without having to explicitly say it. And for those who don't pick up on it, the end is a good surprise.

I could wish to see a little bit more from the supporting cast. I'm getting a vibe that they are in some way familiar to the viewpoint character, and I'd like for that history to come out more. You've shown yourself able to do something like this subtly, and the piece is lacking in wordcount anyway, so you've got room.

Good luck with the next bit. :)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.