Author Topic: Happy Monday  (Read 3802 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Happy Monday
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2004, 10:13:51 PM »
even if you're nto religious, the historical veracity of a significant rabbi living in Palestine named "Jesus" who hailed from Nazareth if fairly well established historically.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2004, 10:34:38 PM »
Yeah, but whether or not he was a nice and/or moral rabbi cannot really be determined.  He could have been a demi god of kindness or he could have been a scamming bumbling drunkard pig who was pristeigous due to an underground crime organization cannot really be determined.  Histrory smudges, so you can't ever really tell...  whether or not you think you can...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2004, 10:37:53 PM »
jesus didnt really have anything to do with my point...it was just sort of a comment.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2004, 10:43:01 PM »
for now
imagine if you will once you have finished college and ypu have to deal with people for whatever job you may have, it doesnt matter if you had compassion,

If I ever need to become more sociable again, I can, which is good enough for me.

Sorry, but pay attention.  I can become sociable should I need to be, I know this because I remain sociable with my friends and/or people I haven't already met and decided whether or not I like.   So my not being sociable right now isn't a huge issue for me.

nobody's gonna want to work woth you.

part of getting through life is dealing with people you dont like.

Well, if I didn't have the social skills to be liked in the real world, people would obviously have to deal.  That's part of life, TFO, and if everyone liked everyone else it wouldn't be.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2004, 10:45:21 PM »
that's an awfully self-centered veiw

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »
I am just trying to disprove your earlier point.  Yes, that is a self centered view.  Yes, that is probably at least 75% of our great nation's population's view as well.  I don't require a view like that because I can adjust to people in a professional setting should I need to.  But if I couldn't, which I could, people would have to deal with it.  I am not saying that is how I think of people, I am saying if I couldn't end up dealing with people, which I can and will, in a professional setting they would have to deal with it like I have to deal with them.  Cause if I can't deal with them very well I obviously don't like them back in this hypothetical situation.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2004, 10:53:11 PM »
all I'm sayin is just be nice to people and they will be nice to you, maybe not instantaeneously, but they will warm up to you.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2004, 10:53:23 PM »
actually, Gorgon, I believe you missed Jeffe and TFO's point. No one thinks the world or even your immediate environs will grind to a halt if you failt to display more compassionate tendencies. We're all just saying that YOU will be a better person, and probably a happier one, if you do it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2004, 11:13:53 PM »
SILENCE SQUABBLING CHILDREN!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2004, 12:13:48 AM »
Its like this commercial for a bank I saw the other day.

A Husband and Wife are looking for a home, in a Goldilocksian way (this one has too loud a neighborhood, this one has a train running through the back yard etc.)
It ends with them in a house where the neighbors are looking in the back window to see whos buying the house and the voiceover "And as soon as they move in, they're going to build a nice big fence."

I knew what they were trying to say, but it came out in a way that was like, why bother knowing your neighbors when you can lock yourself in your home....

I guess it bugs me because its kind of unsouthern, and inhuman. After all we're social, or we're supposed to be at least. Personally I love having people over.... Love it, and I love being a host.

Im bothered that you think everyones stupid because they dont do well in school.
Lots of people do poorly in school, and always have.
School is not a measure of how much a person knows, or what they can accomplish.
My dad always told me that there are two kind of people those who pass school and flunk life and those who flunk school and pass life.

Coming from him it meant a lot. In highschool he wasnt the brightest guy
maybe he still isn't, but dang he has a way with people.
Somehow he graduated highschool and got into Old Dominion University (because his grades werent good enough for the school he wanted to go to) and he got a bachelors degree, and then failed a lot of classes when he was going for a masters... a lot of classes. And then he and John Mccains brother (yeah John Mccain the congressman) stole a firetruck from Norfolk Navy base got arrested and sent to Vietnam....
Best thing that ever happened to him, after one tour with the Green Berets he went to flight school, then advanced flight school and then back to Vietnam and he stayed in the Army. He found himself.
But he was almost 25 when all of that happend, meaning you dont have to find yourself at 15, or be perfect in school or life or whatever.
Im just saying dont build a fence because some kids dont have it figured out yet.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2004, 12:21:42 AM »
that is exactly what I've been trying to tell, you and your dad have a great life philosophy.
I too love playing the host, I kinda like to do things for people rather than have things done for me by people. I hang out with about five different groups of people at lunch, most of em started the year hating each other, but I've found that if you keep putting them in the same place they sorta intermingle and become one very large group(with which I will eventually conquer the quad) and frankkly If I'm going somewhere with freinds(or without) I just invite everybody who seems interested or who I know will have a good time.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2004, 01:00:50 AM »
I heard a story once, and I wish I could find the source (if any of the Mormons on the board could find the conference talk I'm referring to, I think it was a short Seventy talk within the last 5 years). (Short as in short time, not short Seventy.)

Anyway, so this farmer is digging post holes in his field and this family drives by. They stop, talk to him for a little while, and then ask him about the town up ahead, for they're looking for a house.

"What kind of people live there?" they ask him.

"Well, what kind of people live where you live?" he replied.

"Oh, they're so mean, vindictive, and back-biting. That's why we're moving."

The farmer shook his head and replied, "Well, you'll find the same sort here."

A few days later another family stopped and asked him the same question, as they were also house-hunting. He again replied with the same question, "What kind of people live where you live now?"

"Oh, they're the most wonderful neighbors and friends!" they exclaimed. "We love them so dearly and will miss them when we move."

"Well then," the farmer replied, "you'll find the same sort here."

--We find the kind of qualities in people that we want to find. Sure, there are a few jerks out there, but I'd venture to guess there are a lot fewer than we think.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 01:01:33 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing