Author Topic: Tofu, the awesome reader app  (Read 1484 times)

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Tofu, the awesome reader app
« on: May 17, 2010, 04:39:14 AM »
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share a little gem of an app that I've recently discovered with y'all. It's called Tofu, it's free, and it's a Mac-only reader for RTF, Plain Text, and Word documents. Let's face it: reading submissions in an interface designed for writing is a pain. Tofu lays out your documents in readable columns that scroll smoothly from left to right. And, well, that's it. But! It has made reading your submissions a much more pleasant experience for me, so I thought I'd share.

At first I was a little put off by the horizontal scrolling, but then I realized that not only is that how books read, but it's also the only method that makes sense when using multiple columns.

Heh, I may well be the only Mac user in the group. If that's the case, sorry for gloating. :)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Tofu, the awesome reader app
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:27:00 AM »
Sounds interesting... If I had a Mac ;)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »
What I do is just set two pages side-by-side, and the pages fill my screen. Then it's just like reading a book to me. Of course, I'm probably the only one in the group with a laptop sporting a 1920x1200 resolution display. I even have enough room to fit a column of notes.

Or, sometimes, I'll actually print it out on that dead tree stuff, and take Mr. Red Pen to it. I like that the best, but it tends to get expensive when people submit 7k chapters. :P
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »
You're not the only one, ryos. I'll have to give Tofu a try ( and I never thought I'd say that again. Tofu, the food, makes me gag).
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »
Sounds interesting. Alas, that there is no PC version.

Thanks for posting this, ryos!