Author Topic: Elantris discussion? **SPOILERS**  (Read 4061 times)

Puck

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Elantris discussion? **SPOILERS**
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:43:57 PM »
I've noticed that there are Misborn (etc) discussions, where people put questions to the great and powerful Oz. Was there a thread like that for Elantris?
I ask because, after having read Brandon's published works several times, I read that there's an underlying cosmology threaded throughout them all. So, of course, I have to re-read his books now and look for the clues & laws. Anyway, I have a few questions regarding Elantris that i'd like to ask.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:39:13 AM by Puck »

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Re: Elantris discussion?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
Well, go ahead and ask.  The people around here are Brandon superfans, and would definitely do their best to answer as best they can.  The reason I guess there are so many Mistborn discussions and fewer Elantris ones is that between Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker, we know the most about how Mistborn fits into the cosmology.  If you read the Shards of Adolnasium post (which I realize is HUGE) you'll probably find answers about how Elantris fits into it all, or at least more questions.  Or crazy speculation.  But, yeah, ask away!
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:03:43 AM »

There are also a lot of old threads if you go to the pages further back.  You should be able to find most answers about Elantris there.  If you can't find anything we are more than welcome to ask.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Puck

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »
Heh. Thanks. I was just asking because I didn't want to ask questions that have already been answered.
I actually started on the Shards thread, but I realized that I wanted to do my own research and form my own opinions before tackling that beast. Of course, that turned into a beast of its own; re-reading the series, taking notes & quotes (I already have 7 pages of notes on Elantris!), with essays forming for each of the books that I've gotten through so far.
Anyway, the other reason for my question is that, with the Elantris part of the project, I've finished my own theorizing to ready to move on to reading other theories. And (frankly) I was feeling too lazy to sift through a bunch of different threads and was hoping that there was one that I missed.

So, long story short, I'm going to sift through the threads anyway and end up posting my questions here later tonight. Stay tuned for fully-formed Shard cosmology theory in, oh, a month or so :P

EDIT: I just found out that Brandon doesn't answer questions on here any more. Sad. Not that I won't be happy to get your help. Looks like I showed up to the party a couple years too late
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:11:00 AM by Puck »

Puck

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:35:41 AM »
1) The first question is the most important, but also almost definitely a RAFO: What happened 300 years ago?
2) Why does the Shaod only come at night?
3) Can an Elantrian’s symbol affect himself (and not just the clothing he wears)?
4) What was different about Ien?
5) Where is the gate to/what is the other oval supposed to depict? (not the blue lake oval, but the second, white sphere)
“Over there,” Karata said, pointing at the far end of the rectangular room, where the wall held only a single mural. It depicted a large mirrorlike blue oval. An Elantrian stood facing the oval, his arms outstretched and his eyes closed. He appeared to be flying toward the blue disk. The rest of the wall was black, though there was a large white sphere on the other side of the oval.
“Lake.” The old Elantrian’s voice was quiet but insistent.
“It’s painted sideways,” Karata realized. “See, he’s falling into a lake.”
Raoden nodded. The Elantrian in the picture wasn’t flying, he was falling. The oval was the surface of a lake, lines on its side depicting a shore.
“It’s like the water was considered a gate of some sort,” Galladon said, head cocked to the side.  - p 353
6) Are these actual Dakhor rites/chants? Or are they purely religious/ritualistic?
“When you have them all in one place , bodies, Elantrians, and future Elantrians, say the purification rights. Then burn them all.”  - p. 573
7) Why can Elantrians heal while Dakhor can't? Does this conflict with the fact that FjorDor is able to keep Hrathen alive past when he should be dead (p. 609)
8 ) (<--- something's really got to be done about that 8) thing) Did Dilaf's wife's healing spell go wrong because he was Dakhor & present, or was it coincidence (p.580)? (I almost didn't pose this question, because it tips my hand too early, but what're you gonna do?)
9) What happened to Iadon "over the last few years?" (p. 151) Was it the Mysteries? If so, was it just the act of killing people, or was it something Dor-ish about the Mysteries?

That should do for now. I didn't pose half of my questions, because they give away some of my overall, non-Elantris-exclusive theories. Anyone have any canonical answers? Theories are welcome and will be fun, but I'm mostly looking for something clear that I missed or am ignorant of.

EDIT: clarified the lake question & changed DakhorDor to FjorDor. And yes, I'll probably use JinDor and possibly even DulaDor in the future :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:24:03 PM by Puck »

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
Re: Elantris discussion? **SPOILERS**
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:25:01 AM »
I was under the impression that the lake depicted is the same collection of liquid mana found around Shards in other Cosmere books.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:43 AM »

1) There was an earthquake.  The magic was built off of the shape of the land.  All the previous magic had been based off of the land without the chasm in the land.  When Raoden drew the new line it redrew the main seal on the city which was what made the Elantrians the way they were, therefore fixing it.
2) *shrug*
3) I don't think that it has been explicitly stated.
4) OK, it's been a while since I read it, what exactly is it you're talking about?  Quotes or descriptions please?
5) The oval is the water that they go into when they die. . . . . as far as the pools of water go. . . it's very deep into the Cosmere . . . . uhm physics?. . . I can't think of a good word.  The way they work.  Read again, there are pools of water in all the Cosmere worlds.
6) I assume you are talking about the "purification rights."  I assume it is something similar to an after death baptism.
7) Just the nature of the magic.  Kind of similar to a "light side," "dark side" type thing.  Sometimes the intent and the way you use something limits and changes what you can do.
8 ) Probably related to his Dakhor roots.  (I also agree on the *) smiley.
9) Not sure, been too long.

Note:  All of my answers may be influenced by the few years it's been since I read Elantris.  It is my second favorite EUOL book, seconded only by Scribbler. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »

1) There was an earthquake.  The magic was built off of the shape of the land.  All the previous magic had been based off of the land without the chasm in the land.  When Raoden drew the new line it redrew the main seal on the city which was what made the Elantrians the way they were, therefore fixing it.

That was only 10 years ago.  He asked about 300 years ago.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 06:04:26 PM »
Chris, he's referring to the second oval mentioned, which I'm going to assume is supposed to be a reference to shadesmare.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »

xD  See I knew some of my answers would be off. 

I really should reread Elantris
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »
We all three just need to start the epic read through we were going to do.  AND! andandandandand I should be able to get me my new phone soon, so I'll actually be able to read at work and keep up with you and Josh.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »

xD

I started the first one a while back, but haven't gotten too far into it yet, but we are now off topic. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Puck

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
Sorry about the vague wording. These were originally meant for EUOL, and I wanted to keep him from clamming up. I've since learned that he no longer answers questions here, so I’ll be more clear in the future

And I totally know what you mean about feeling the need to do an epic read. All i have left is half of WoA & HoA :)

FGR> what is the Shadesmare?

Miyabi > Question 4 clarification: When Raoden was in Elantris, Ien would insist on hovering near him, even coming to Raoden when he extended his hand.
"How did that get in here," Galladon asked, interrupting Raoden's thoughts. The Dula pointed toward the Seon Ien, who floated along the top of a bookshelf, his light casting shadows on the books.
"I don't know," Raoden said, watching Ien loop a few times."
"I have to admit, Sule. Your Seon is creepy."
Raoden shrugged. "All the mad Seons are that way."
"Yes, but the others generally stay away from people." Galladon eyed Ien, shivering slightly. The Seon, as usual, didn't pay any apparent attention to Galladon - though Ien did seem to like staying near Raoden. (p. 373)

The only explanation I could think of (that could be arrived at with knowledge at hand) was that this is how all Mad Seons act whose Bondeds are still relatively sane. The others don't act that way simply because (1) Seons are rare and (2) those few that are now in Elantris have Hoed Bondeds. I was just looking for other possible explanations.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:00:41 AM by Puck »

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 01:48:56 AM »
Miyabi > Question 4 clarification: When Raoden was in Elantris, Ien would insist on hovering near him, even coming to Raoden when he extended his hand.

I think the answer to that has something to do with how the Dor was using Raoden. Seons like being near the Dor.

FGR> what is the Shadesmare?

I'll try to answer that, although I'm one of the less knowledgeable on the subject. this is just skimming the idea, too:
The Cosmere is comprised of three planes: Physical, Spiritual, and Cognitive. The different worlds are tied together by the Congitive Realm, which is accessed through the Shadesmar. Hoid is the only guy we know of who really understands the Shadesmar at all.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:18:56 AM »

4> It was probably a combination of him still being sane and all other who owned seons being completely crazy.

Shadesmar > That's a pretty good explanation of Shadesmar.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。