Author Topic: A Tragedy in the BYU Bookstore  (Read 8258 times)

T-Square

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: -3
    • View Profile
Re: A Tragedy in the BYU Bookstore
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 04:01:18 AM »
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!THIS IS MADNESS!!!I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION! EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT STEPHANIE MEYER IS A LOAD OF COW CRAP! AARGH, I'M SO MAD I CAN HARDLY SEE!!!!!!

dhalagirl

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 04:33:16 AM »
Sounds to me like they're going for a LDS fantasy author theme.  Yeah, it may seem like blasphemy to some readers, but as a bookseller it makes sense to me.  The idea is to use one author's popularity to get readers hooked on the others so you sell more books.

Wordwyrm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
In defaince of all that has come before and the usual conventions against necro-posting (it's still on the first page; does that make this necro-posting?) , I will now post as if nobody else has responded to this blasphemy.

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! THIS CANNOT STAND UNPUNISHED!!!!!

T-Square. Join me. Let us ready our obsidian knives and Oculator's lenses and go 'deal with' the person that stocks those shelves. He/she is clearly a Librarian, an agent of Ruin, and a Derethi priest(ess). At the bare minimum. He/she might also be a Parshendi and/or a mercenary.
"You learned this... from a book. I need to read more."

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »
Given that I've seen Brandon's works in most bookstores I frequent that include sci-fi and fantasy, the BYU Bookstore not including his stuff (or, alas, Stephanie Meyer's) is just, well, unlikely.  To say the least.  He probably gets more attention as a local, but again, that just seems like smart marketing.

As for teachers including their own textbooks as required reading:  Happens all the time in all kinds of fields.  How it turns out depends mostly on the teacher and why they did it.  For advanced classes (at least in the sciences) it's often the only or most up-to-date work of its kind, and you're taking the class from that teacher for the same reason you would buy their textbook.  Other times, it's competing against much better works, and it's mostly a form of ego-stroking for the teacher (as well as a boost to their bottom line, but if they're teaching college, that's probably not why they went into the field), in which case you should be very afraid.  I've even seen an experiment where the textbook written by the teacher is available online for free (Google BYU optics book.  It's even being kept up to date.  And includes biographies about major researchers gleaned from Wikipedia.  Um, I don't even know what to say to that.)
Nature hates being reified.