Author Topic: Nightblood and Metalminds  (Read 7181 times)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Nightblood and Metalminds
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 05:07:03 AM »
But, of the possibilities of places where Hemalurgic spikes can go, Sazed stated that the Lord Ruler only knew of three. Three! He spent the next thousand years trying to discover more, only to fail.
Not places to put spikes, but specific hemalurgic creations.
From HoA Q&A:
Another question, Brandon. Would the Three Metallic Arts operate in other worlds, or are they direct results of Ruin and Preservation and thus only operate in Scadriel?

Okay, back to answering spoilers.  (Or, in the case of this post, half-answering them.)

To use Feruchemy or Allomancy in almost every case, one must have the right spiritual and genetic codes, imprinted upon people during the creation of Scadrial by Ati and Leras.  To use Hemalurgy, one must first have someone with these right spiritual and genetic codse, then take the power from them.  Other people on other worlds are not going to simply discover the Three Metallic Arts by accident.

This seems to say that Hemalurgy would only work with Allomancy and Feruchemy.
Then how come there are the four metals (iron, tin, zinc, copper) that steal human attributes? (strength, senses, mental and emotional fortitude) Plus the seven metals that we don't even know what they do?

In this case, the human attributes that are stolen come from part of preservation that ended up in people's souls.  It's totally tied to the duality between Ruin and Preservation.

Preservation and Ruin, it seems to me, are paired to each other more closely than the other shards.  They both seem to draw power from metals, for one thing, which doesn't match anything we've seen in the other shard worlds at all.  Their natures are clearly linked thematically, unlike Endowment, which doesn't seem to have any relationship to either.  And what the heck is the Dor?
The impression I get from some of what Brandon has said is that the magic comes from the shards' interaction with humanity, with different genetics affecting the magic.  I'd say that this specific duality is created by not only Ruin and Preservation interecting with humans, but also from interacting with each other.  The fact that they are opposing forces probably has little to do with it other than the different forms the magic takes reflecting the different aspects of the shards.  I suspect if you put, say, Endowment in place of Ruin, you'd wind up with a similar sort of setup minus the direct antagonism of two outright opposite forces.

It's certainly possible that if we had endowment and preservation, we would get three magic systems:  allomancy, awakening, and whatever-it-would-be.  Thing is, though, we don't even know if it is possible for Preservation to create without Ruin to help.  Their powers are independently so powerful, yet limited, I don't know if it makes sense to consider anything made by one that doesn't have the other.  Certainly Preservation by himself has nothing to offer.
What I'm saying though, is that because the people in Scadrial are different from the people on the Warbreaker planet, you'd get an entirely different set of magic systems from the Endowment/Preservation/Scadrial setup, with no Allomancy or Awakening at all.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
Maybe the worlds themselves in combination with the shards present affect the development of the magic systems.  Maybe ruin and preservation both became metal based (ie their bodies are metal, and all the magic systems have to do with metal) after arriving on Scadriel.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 05:25:29 AM »

"To use Hemalurgy, one must first have someone with these right spiritual and genetic codse, then take the power from them. "

It seems that you don't need to be Scadrial to use Hemalurgy, so if there were a evil planet hopper (not Hoid, because I think he's a good guy), they could use Hemalurgy and steal someone's Allomancy or Furchemy. Maybe there's an Anti-Hoid who would do this. Or maybe Hoid has been fooling us. Or maybe this is just good for someone's Kuvudu cage match.

Hibron

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 03:54:15 PM »
Dilaf reveled in blood and death, Pushing and Pulling himself towards his fleeing prey.

He landed adroitly in front of the startled man, relying on his Dakhor markings to deflect the bits of metal that the  man tossed. His eyes were bloodshot, flashing with an insane light. He pulled out a spike and stepped towards the cornered man. "You can't escape."

Lol. That's a terrifying thought.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »
Maybe the worlds themselves in combination with the shards present affect the development of the magic systems.  Maybe ruin and preservation both became metal based (ie their bodies are metal, and all the magic systems have to do with metal) after arriving on Scadriel.
Precisely, there are probably a lot of factors that create the magic systems, we just don't know all of them or how they work.

Technomancer

• Level 2
  • More powerful than and yet as harmless as I appear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 04:50:08 AM »
This certainly has become an interesting conversion, I'm going to try and think of something to add.

Tegal Savian

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 05:30:15 AM »
Might I direct you all who've responded to this thread to our discussion here at www.adonalsium.net?  Please join us!

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 11:37:20 PM »
Might I direct you all who've responded to this thread to our discussion here at www.adonalsium.net?  Please join us!
Okay, that's about the fifth topic you've posted in advertising your site without contributing to the conversation.  It's a tad annoying.