Author Topic: Suvudu Cage Match Finals, Rand vs Jaime  (Read 6130 times)

Phaz

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Suvudu Cage Match Finals, Rand vs Jaime
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »
I'm pretty disapointed by the write up at Suvudu for this match.  (And not just because Rand loses)

They obviously aren't that familiar with Rand's abilities/world.  He wouldn't of played into the trap so easily and certainly would of summoned a gateway once it came (or a number of other things that would of protected him from it).

I hope Jaime gets owned in Brandon's writeup (IMO it should be from Hoid's perspective as from what i understand that would somewhat almost fit).

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
I'm pretty disapointed by the write up at Suvudu for this match.  (And not just because Rand loses)

They obviously aren't that familiar with Rand's abilities/world.  He wouldn't of played into the trap so easily and certainly would of summoned a gateway once it came (or a number of other things that would of protected him from it).

I hope Jaime gets owned in Brandon's writeup (IMO it should be from Hoid's perspective as from what i understand that would somewhat almost fit).

Voting ain't over yet. There's still five days to turn it around: http://www.suvudu.com/2010/04/cage-match-2010-championship-5-rand-althor-versus-15-jaime-lannister.html?ref=Widget_Bracket

And their write-ups usually suck. The whole thing is a popularity contest - how else could Jaime Lannister beat Temeraire or Cthulhu? Or even Kvothe, really? Let me repeat that. Jaime Lannister, a swordsman with one hand, powered by fanboys, beat both a dragon and one of the Great Old Ones, the first of whom should have eaten him alive and the second not even acknowledged his existence.

I don't want to see that write-up become final, though. I hate Jaime, and would like to read something where he dies. So people.... get there and vote.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Hibron

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
At the moment, Rand has about 50 more votes than Jaime...   which puts them at the same percentage.  :-\ Here's hoping for Rand!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »
I don't do links, but as someone who (gasp) has never read wheel of time (I came here because of Elantris and mistborn; new spring is waiting to be read on my bookshelf), and someone who likes ASoIaF, I have to say, George R. R. Martin's write-up was admittedly excellent.  He found a way for Jaime to win.
Anyone with allomancy however could have torn Jaime to pieces.
But hey, the fights over Rand won, and Bradon did a pretty awesome reworking of the ending on his blog.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 12:16:02 AM »
I don't do links, but as someone who (gasp) has never read wheel of time (I came here because of Elantris and mistborn; new spring is waiting to be read on my bookshelf), and someone who likes ASoIaF, I have to say, George R. R. Martin's write-up was admittedly excellent.  He found a way for Jaime to win.
Anyone with allomancy however could have torn Jaime to pieces.
But hey, the fights over Rand won, and Bradon did a pretty awesome reworking of the ending on his blog.

First, if your starting the Wheel of Time, don't start with New Spring. It's a prequel novel, but it's best read after book... eight or so, I think. Start with The Eye of the World. New Spring will spoil too much from the other books.

Second, what I liked most about Martin's write-up was not that he found a convincing way for Jaime to win, but he also allowed Rand to live. His world needs him, and as Tyrion said (paraphrasing) if Rand isn't there to face down the Dark One, who knows when the Dark One might come knocking in Westeros.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 02:03:10 AM »
Martin's write up was just awesome. After I read it I almost went to another computer and voted for Jaime after reading it
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 02:41:46 AM »
Having never read anything by GRRM (I'm waiting for him to finish the series so I don't get caught waiting like everyone else), I couldn't really get into this. I also don't usually go in for these sort of "Whose bettar SAMUS or MASTER CHEIF LOL" arguments. But I've gotta admit, Brandon's final writeup was pretty funny.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 07:47:37 AM »
       I thought that might be the case, but I chose new spring, because I was hoping it would be more of a stand alone than the first book in the series.  I know (especially on this forum) that there are many fans who will vouch for it's quality, but I'd like to make sure it fits my personal preferences before commiting to read such a long series.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 08:00:47 AM »
       I thought that might be the case, but I chose new spring, because I was hoping it would be more of a stand alone than the first book in the series.  I know (especially on this forum) that there are many fans who will vouch for it's quality, but I'd like to make sure it fits my personal preferences before commiting to read such a long series.

New Spring sets up a lot of what happens in the later novels, and I would strongly recommend reading Eye of the World first. It works rather well as a standalone, I think, despite there being a whole series that follows. New Spring, as mentioned, is better to read after you've read several of the other books, specifically because it deals with things that will have more meaning and make more sense if you if you've read the others (I would recommend reading up to book seven, then New Spring.)

I understand your reasoning, though - The Wheel of Time is a major commitment to make, and will likely take more than a few months. I hope you consider the recommendation, but in the end it's up to you. Either way, I hope you enjoy the books (and if you end up reading New Spring first, then the others and realize how right I am, I promise not to say 'I told you so' :P )

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 08:24:42 AM »
I'm with Shiver. It makes sense when you look at the history of the books.

Believe it or not, the WoT was originally pitched as a trilogy. However, as is so often the case with pitching trilogies, the strategy was to sell TEotW first as a novel that could stand alone, then to see if TOR could be convinced to pick up the rest of the series.

Clearly the series would have been tremendously different as a trilogy. I can't quite wrap my mind around the idea, personally. That said, TEotW has a reasonably satisfying ending and stands on its own better than any of the others, including New Spring.

See, New Spring ends at a beginning—the beginning of the series. (Well, a fair number of years before it, but we can infer rather well what transpires in that time.) You won't find it satisfying at all if you think you might want to stop at one.

And if all that didn't convince you, here's another fact about TEotW: it's fairly slow. There's a section in the middle that drags on. (You could apply that assessment to the series in general, too, but I digress.) If you make it to the end of The Eye of the World, you can be fairly certain you'll enjoy the entire series, because the end is great and very much worth slogging through the doldrums to reach.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.