Author Topic: Way of Kings Discussion (prelude, prologue & chapters 1-3) :SPOILERS:  (Read 48424 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Way of Kings Discussion (prelude, prologue & chapters 1-3) :SPOILERS:
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2010, 12:05:59 AM »
Those are all pretty good observations.  ;D

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2010, 02:42:26 AM »
Those are all pretty good observations.  ;D

Infact, Lashings seem to be a much more apt description than any sort of gravity manipulation.

Also,Lashing isn't a fighting magic system.  It's much, much more useful for engineering than fighting.  I can give some examples of how if anyone wants me to.

Just realized something.  What kind of gem the stormlight is stored in changes what these "Soulcasters" can do with it.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2010, 02:56:49 AM »
I didn't notice that.  I thought the type of gem just affected the amount of stormlight that could be stored within it, not what could be done with it.  Of course all I have seen done with stormlight so far is the lashings.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2010, 03:19:20 AM »
I didn't notice that.  I thought the type of gem just affected the amount of stormlight that could be stored within it, not what could be done with it.  Of course all I have seen done with stormlight so far is the lashings.

They said emerald was the most valuable because Soulcasters could use it to make food.  This implies that they can't use diamond held stormlight for foodmaking, otherwise it's rarity compared to emeralds would make it more valuable.  Unless emeralds are actually rarer than diamonds on Roshar, but I'm going to assume they aren't.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2010, 03:22:06 AM »
One of the things I really want to see is the first storm.  So far we have only seen hints of its affects on the enviroment and locations of citys.

I can't wait to see this as well. It's going to be epic as far as the description of the land coping with the storm. It would be like a shock wave of plants sucking into their shells as the storm runs through the area.

This is most likely a personal thing.  In most books I read the point of view starts with a main character or characters and then the point of view switches as the characters seperate and new characters are added.  From the beginning you have more of an idea on how the stories relate together.  Right now it feals like I am reading three books at one time, a few pages from each, then on to the next in hope that in the end they tie together.

I felt the same regarding the chapters being a little too short, but I didn't think it detracted from the whole YET. I think he made the stories so distant for the sake of the story as a whole. This is his epic, his masterpiece and the fact that the story lines are so singular makes it really feel like these people are seperate, their own book merely combined in one. Which is really what our lives are, our own stories which when we connect with another person, becomes a single story.

The chapters do get longer as it goes which helps a lot.

Haven't read the thread yet.

First, WTF kind of tech level do they have that glass can be used as currency but don't have guns? I'm going to assume they have magical techniques for making a lot of glass very cheaply, because glass is hugely expensive.

Other socio-economic observations: females are the intellectual class and eye color has an influence on rank.  This is interesting.  I'm unsure how that kind of hierarchy is stable, since dark eye colors are dominant RL, but we don't have yellow eyes RL so I'm guessing these guys aren't exactly baseline human.

Now then.

Magical Powered Armor!  Yay!

Assuming General Relativity has any relevance in the Cosmere, Lashings seem to have more in common with Iron Pulling than any sort of gravity manipulation.  Basic seems to pull a specific object in a specific direction, based on how Szeth could run on the walls.  Full seems to be a mutual attraction between two objects.  And Reverse is making something an attractor.

When you read closer you can tell that it does change the pull of gravity for an individual person or object.

So instead of falling towards the ground at ten feet per second per second, you fall towards whatever object at ten feet per second per second.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2010, 03:44:46 AM »

When you read closer you can tell that it does change the pull of gravity for an individual person or object.

So instead of falling towards the ground at ten feet per second per second, you fall towards whatever object at ten feet per second per second.

Which is nothing at all like how gravity works.  Basic Lashing has some similarity to Physics 101 approximations of gravity, but nothing else.  Gravity is mutual attraction.  While the Basic and Reverse Lashings may look similar to gravity to someone who doesn't have an education in physics, the Full Lashing is the only thing that makes any sense as gravity manipulation.  Basic Lashing has coordinate system issues that make me think there's something altogether different than gravity causing the acceleration, and Reverse Lashing should make something extremely heavy which wasn't in evidence.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
Another observation hinting at the people not being baseline human:  eyebrow hair that grows as long as the hair on the top of your head.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2010, 06:34:39 AM »

Aran - 0.0  Well you got me there.  haha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2010, 07:35:42 AM »

Eyebrows or gravity?

:)

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 06, 2010, 08:15:30 AM »

Eyebrows or gravity?

Gravity.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #220 on: July 06, 2010, 10:59:57 AM »
I'll have you know that my eyebrows are magnificent.

I'm trying to remember if any of the "humans" in the Cosmere (so far) would be considered "baseline". The Skaa and Nobles of Mistborn certainly weren't.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »

They said emerald was the most valuable because Soulcasters could use it to make food.  This implies that they can't use diamond held stormlight for foodmaking, otherwise it's rarity compared to emeralds would make it more valuable.  Unless emeralds are actually rarer than diamonds on Roshar, but I'm going to assume they aren't.

Technically, Emeralds are much rarer than diamonds here on terra firma. But diamonds are more expensive. Go figure.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »

Now that you mention it I remember that when they were explaining the values.  Which makes me wonder if lashings can be pulled from any stormlight or only certain gems.  Also can someone use all gem types or are they specifice to certain people.  If they are specific, are there people the equivalent of a Mistborn.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »

Technically, Emeralds are much rarer than diamonds here on terra firma. But diamonds are more expensive. Go figure.

I'll take your word for it.  But food making was singled out as why emerald was the most valuable.

I also noticed that Rubies and Sapphires were different denominations.  I wonder if Brandon meant specifically blue sapphire, because sapphires come in a lot of colors (red sapphires are rubies). 

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2010, 06:34:33 PM »

Eyebrows or gravity?

Gravity.

Ah, happyman could explain it better than I could.  Although, thinking back, the Reverse Lashing was used on a doorframe, so it could have become heavier.