Author Topic: Way of Kings Discussion (prelude, prologue & chapters 1-3) :SPOILERS:  (Read 48410 times)

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings Discussion (prologue for now) :SPOILERS:
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »
Anyone think that the drunk with the black and gray beard sitting in the doorway of the Servant's Quarters looked vaguely familiar? I think that if I was a planet-hopping shard-searcher, I'd want to be there at the treaty signing/king's assassination.

Of course, I'm probably jumping to conclusions. But he have heard that Hoid will be around quite a bit in the Stormlight Chronicles (something about 'not being able to put all his appearances on the forum')

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »
Anyone think that the drunk with the black and gray beard sitting in the doorway of the Servant's Quarters looked vaguely familiar? I think that if I was a planet-hopping shard-searcher, I'd want to be there at the treaty signing/king's assassination.

That was my initial thought as well, but I dismissed it.  Doesn't he usually have a white beard?  Then again, it is odd that of all the people there, he is actually described.  Maybe I'll rethink this.

Here, we're getting a *lot* of information dropped on us -- kingdoms and castes and religion and glimpses of complicated backstory, and in the middle of it all, a complicated fight and magic system we don't know.  This resulted for me in a choppy flow, because there were pieces that I picked up fast, but other pieces that were just confusing.  (And that's not why I read Brandon -- if I feel like reading something arcane-and-confusing, I pick up some China Mieville or Steven Erickson.)  So overall, for me, it made the fight and the magic system much less of a "wow" moment than either Mistborn or Warbreaker.  Sorry 'bout that.

One thing that I thought Mistborn TFE did perfectly was the gradual magic system reveal.  It starts out with just glimpses -- Kelsier burns down the noble's house, and we don't know how.  We realize that the magic is awesome, and then we're drawn into the world, and we're slowly primed to understand the back story, and ready to enjoy the magic system when it hits us.  Warbreaker does jump right in with the magic, but the flow and the new information rush seems more carefully calibrated.  We get glimpses of backstory, but it's not a drink from the firehose.  Here it just seemed like a little too much going on.  I'm vaguely hoping that this isn't really the prologue, but one of those fake-prologues that often come up as teasers.   (As I recall the paperback teaser that was used for Martin's ASOS was something like 8 chapters into the actual book.) 

I'm looking forward to the series, though -- it sounds like it's going to be very interesting. 
I guess that with the scope of a project like this, the names of these kingdoms and treaties and such IS gradual exposition.  And we've got three things to do with Lashing.  There might be more to it than that, also making this relatively gradual.  I tend to ignore confusing things as I read, assuming I'll pick up on the details later.  The important part was Szeth and the King, and I'll figure out the rest as it comes into greater focus.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kelsier burned down the manor with fire.  Killing everyone inside is another thing.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »

I guess that with the scope of a project like this, the names of these kingdoms and treaties and such IS gradual exposition.  And we've got three things to do with Lashing.  There might be more to it than that, also making this relatively gradual. 

I agree. With how big this story is going to be, I don't think that BS can take us on that gradual reveal we are used to with his writing. We know that this is only one magic system and not even a complex one with what we've been shown so far (that's not saying it can't get more complex obviously, but the system seems relatively simple), that being said if say, BS showed us three different metals all at one time WITH explanation at the time, it would have been too much. With how it is in WoK three lashings does not three metals make.

As far as the religion and kingdoms go, yes I consider this veeery gradual. Imagine how many different cultures are going to be in this series. Hearing a little background about a treaty between two kingdoms being torn to shreds by one of the parties only gives me a small tickle to my brain about what will be revealed next.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »

Don't worry, the being thrown into the magic system doesn't follow that course all the way through.  You get that more progressive feel later on.

As you can see in the prologue Szeth isn't used to this place he's in and the prologue kind of pushes that same feeling on you.  I think it was intentional.  Most of the chapters are written in a way they make you feel (as the reader) like the character feels in the world.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »

As you can see in the prologue Szeth isn't used to this place he's in and the prologue kind of pushes that same feeling on you.  I think it was intentional.  Most of the chapters are written in a way they make you feel (as the reader) like the character feels in the world.

Wow, that... makes sense. You do feel confused while reading it but so is Szeth. Oh Braaaandon, you did it again sir! :D

Recruit of the Omegas.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »
I was confused at first at the summoning of the Shardblade. But then, when the king died and his blade materialized and fell, I realized it is nothing new. Just as Ruin and Preservation's bodies fell when they died, so do Shardblades. Anyone else catch the parallel?

Obviously the Blades are stored in another Realm, most likely the Spiritual.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 12:20:40 AM »

That was my initial thought as well, but I dismissed it.  Doesn't he usually have a white beard?  Then again, it is odd that of all the people there, he is actually described.  Maybe I'll rethink this.

In Warbreaker, Siri says that the beard looks bleached so that he looks older than he really is.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 12:49:44 AM »
In Warbreaker, Siri says that the beard looks bleached so that he looks older than he really is.

Now that you mention it, I recall that as well. I'm kinda of surprised by the idea that BS might have put Hoid right there in the prologue though. That's my only thought process to discourage the idea.

Obviously the Blades are stored in another Realm, most likely the Spiritual.

I agree with this. Spiritual makes the most sense.

Recruit of the Omegas.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 03:16:25 AM »

You have to think about it. - Mental
You hold your hand out and wait ten heart beats.  - Physical

Makes sense you could be using the physical and mental to affect the spiritual.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 04:59:28 AM »
You guys astonish me.

Of course, now I can't say why.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Ookla the Mok

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »
Curse you, and curse all the times you have pulled an Ook!!!

-Ookla the Mok

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 06:41:54 AM »
Whoa, where'd this guy come from?  I hope nobody gets confused about the difference between Peter and the new Ookla.  Anyways, are you astonished by our amazing theorizing skills, or by our ability to get things completely and utterly wrong?
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »

* Miyabi knows who the impostor Ook is.

Now the hard part is deciding if Peter's post was an actual "you're on the right track" or a red herring.

>>'
[/color]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
Hey, that's a good avatar.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »
Curse you, and curse all the times you have pulled an Ook!!!

-Ookla the Mok

A CHALLENGER APPEARS!

You guys astonish me.

Of course, now I can't say why.

Ooo, so we're either really close, or we're waaay off. Those are the only reasons Peter would give us such praise! (or.. non-praise)

Hrmm...  :D

Recruit of the Omegas.