Author Topic: Way of Kings Discussion (prelude, prologue & chapters 1-3) :SPOILERS:  (Read 48462 times)

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
First of all, I just think there needs to be a thread created for discussion, so that way we can keep it all in one place instead of having a few dozen threads that I know are going to start popping up now that the prologue is out in the open. If somebody disagrees and thinks discussion of WoK is too early then feel free to wipe this little thread from the face of the forums.

START OFF! SPOILER ALERT! AHHHH!

I can't say enough how much I enjoyed the prologue. It definately did what it was supposed to do, slap me in the face with awesomeness and make me ask what just happened. Brandon, I gotta say that you've created another really imaginative magic system. Gravity is something that is SO structured in the world that seeing it manipulated so freely brings feelings of what if to my mind. I can't wait to see what other magic systems are there and what else can be done with lashings.

I'm wondering if the number 10 plays a big part in the series. We've seen 16 played out many times in the Cosmere. 10 heart beats for a Shardblade seems like a structured number to me. Or it is just structured for Szeth that way. MAYBE! Other Shardbearers can call their blades with more beats if they are weaker, don't possess high amounts of Stormlight?

Just something to spark conversation. I really want to see some speculation and hints coming out at some point. Atleast, imo, speculation can't ruin a book before it's out. Only enhance the experience.

Who's with me? :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:57:18 PM by Creative_Vortx »
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings Discussion (prologue for now) :SPOILERS:
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:19:30 AM »
I'm with you! I was flipping out like a kid in a candy store as I was reading it.

The Stormlight.... WOW. That is sooooo cool. And the setting. We often rave about Brandon's magic systems, the fight scenes, etc. But I like the setting, at least what little was described in the prologue. I felt like I could see it.

And, ok, the Shardblades materializing out of thin air? How cool is that? Szeth didn't take the Shardblade, but could he have taken it if he wanted? Also, is the 's' silent in the pronunciation?
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 02:30:12 AM »

The pronunciation is supposed to be like "Seth".

As far as if he could have taken it where he already had one I'm not sure.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »
Huh... you know,  somehow I never got around to asking if two blades was even possible.

Good lord, if there were no limit to how many you could carry, that would be scary as hell.

Shardplate is also awesome cool. I'm actually torn between which is cooler, the blade or the plate. Of course, both is best.  ;D

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:26:32 PM »

I think Blade + Lashing is a better combination.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mccullough

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:39:45 PM »

The pronunciation is supposed to be like "Seth".

It's about time Brandon used my name in a book.  :P (Of course, it being coincidence, I can't really take credit for it.)

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 07:21:46 PM »

I think Blade + Lashing is a better combination.

This was my favorite. I now have a better understanding of what Miyabi said to me a long time ago. "Remember when Goku went super saiyan? It's that awesome!" LOL

Having two blades would be pretty awesome. Most civilizations that used swords for weapons depended on a main sword with a back up shorter sword or knife. Imagine having a Shardblade dagger. That would be a fight. The only issue I see with having two Shardblades is making the third (if I recall correctly) type of lashing where his hand would need to be on it at all times.

But, it seems like he does consider taking the sword for a second and the only reason he didn't was that "he had no use for it".

Recruit of the Omegas.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »
So, let's see if I've got this straight.  Partial Lashing: Binds an object or person to a point in space, so that that point becomes "down" for that object.  Full Lashing: Binds objects to a point or other object. (I'm a little fuzzy on this one.)  Reverse Lashing: Maintaining contact with an object, makes that object "down" for anything free to move in the vicinity.  I just got why it's called Reverse Lashing as I was writing that. :D

I'm wondering if the number 10 plays a big part in the series. We've seen 16 played out many times in the Cosmere. 10 heart beats for a Shardblade seems like a structured number to me. Or it is just structured for Szeth that way. MAYBE! Other Shardbearers can call their blades with more beats if they are weaker, don't possess high amounts of Stormlight?

Szeth mentions that he's the only one able to do what he does, so I don't think amount of Stormlight makes a difference in calling the Shardblade.  If more people could use Stormlight like that, they wouldn't use it for illumination.

Also, Spren?  Little creatures attracted to emotion?  Harmless? Dangerous? Important? Not important?  I'm gonna bet important, and hold off on whether they're dangerous.  Szeth doesn't seem concerned about the Fearspren at least.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »
Szeth doesn't know everything.

Lashings are fully explained in the book's annotations. Trust in Brandon, he's got the angles worked out.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
Szeth doesn't know everything.

Lashings are fully explained in the book's annotations. Trust in Brandon, he's got the angles worked out.

I always trust Brandon! :)

Recruit of the Omegas.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »
Wait- in the book's annotations? How on earth did you get a hold of those!?
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:43:16 PM »
Wait- in the book's annotations? How on earth did you get a hold of those!?

He's an alpha reader :)

Recruit of the Omegas.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »
Gah, alpha readers. A pox upon them all and their cursed good fortune!
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 02:04:08 AM »
He meant the Ars Arcanum. Which is also from an in-world perspective and may have some things wrong.

And the preview is a non-final version of the prologue. Some things will be different in the final book.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »
So when Brandon said there were 20+ magic systems, is Lashing just one of those, or are all magic systems different types of Lashing?