Author Topic: First Editions?  (Read 1546 times)

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
First Editions?
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
How does TOR specify their first editions. I've bought all my BS HC books when they first came out and I was just curious to see what I actually have. I was considering taking them to BS's LA signing on monday.

Second question: Does BS restrict how many books one person can get signed? Might be a Peter question.

Thanks!
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: First Editions?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »
If there is a long line he might personalize only 3 of your books at a time (you can go through the line again) but he will sign them all. But Brandon did a signing in Pasadena in November so many people probably got their books signed then.

For how to tell editions apart, there's a good guide here: http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/writing/editions/#prfa
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:48 PM »
If there is a long line he might personalize only 3 of your books at a time (you can go through the line again) but he will sign them all. But Brandon did a signing in Pasadena in November so many people probably got their books signed then.

For how to tell editions apart, there's a good guide here: http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/writing/editions/#prfa

Thanks for the info Peter. That link is.. confusing but.. useful. :)

Recruit of the Omegas.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »
Is there a difference between "edition" and "printing"? I usually look on the inside first couple pages, before the title page, usually on the left, to find the block of teeny-tiny writing that covers the publisher info and copyright. Somewhere in there is usually little stuff like cover credit and a record of which print run that book is a part of.

-EDIT-

Never mind, I see that there IS a difference (reading is FUNdamental!) Neat, I learned a new thing today!  ;D

There may be many printings, but a new edition implies a change in the content itself.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:53:19 PM by Inkthinker »

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:32:12 PM »
Is there a difference between "edition" and "printing"? I usually look on the inside first couple pages, before the title page, usually on the left, to find the block of teeny-tiny writing that covers the publisher info and copyright. Somewhere in there is usually little stuff like cover credit and a record of which print run that book is a part of.

-EDIT-

Never mind, I see that there IS a difference (reading is FUNdamental!) Neat, I learned a new thing today!  ;D

You're welcome! :P

Recruit of the Omegas.