Author Topic: New fantasy series for me please !!!  (Read 9322 times)

mack

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
New fantasy series for me please !!!
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:37 PM »
Okay I have hard time finding new series to read as I have read most of the major and popular fantasy series on top 100 list. Here are the ones I have read so far and have in my to read pile please help with new series to enjoy! Thanks.

All Brandon Sanderson
Wheel of Time
Night Angels by Brent Weeks (great series)
Song of Ice and Fire (new books take long time coming :) )
Dragonlance
Dark Elf
Lord of the Rings
Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (great modern wizard tale)
Codex Alera
Harry Potter :)
All Star Wars (sci-fi but you know star wars is awesome)
New Sun
The Name of the Wind ( one of the best starting books in a series ever)
Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
Joe Abercrombie
Robin Hobb
Sword of Truth
Gunslinger
Percy Jackson
Belgariad Series
Pendragon
Bartimaeus Trilogy
Earthsea

Thanks for reading I desperately need new books and if they are on audio books even better.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: New fantasy series for me please !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »
I, for one, recommend the dying earth series by jack vance.

There's only three books, all of which are contained in "Tales of a dying earth" collection, but it's worth the read. It's my favorite fantasy series.

It's also a pretty definitive one. It influnced the magic system of dungeons and dragons (called the "vancian system" after jack vance) as well as a few other things.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »
Anything by Roger Zelazny deserves a read. The Corwin saga (Amber 1-5) is probably the most essential Zelazny read.

Ee, I'll have to look into that. :)
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:17:12 AM »
An easy to read fantasy series that is so far really good is the Study Series by Maria V. Snyder.  I'm only on the second book (Magic Study) but so far the series as wowed be.  And to the benefit of fans of this series she has written two books in a trilogy set in this world that take place after this trilogy so that's five books for your enjoyment!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
@eerongal: George RR Martin edited a book recently of short stories set in dying earth. Have you read them? Are they good?

I just started reading Stephen Erickson's series. Alot of people on here like it. The first book is Gardens of the Moon. I have been busy so I am only about 100 pages into the first book. It is more dense than the other books you posted about. I am kind of confused about what is going on. The posts on here say I will figure it out about half way through the book. Alot of people on here seem to like it.

Try Stephen R Donaldson's series on Thomas the unbeliever. They are old.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 12:33:12 PM »
you can get all 10 of zelazny's amber series in one big paper back for like $15. it is called the big book of Amber. I have it on my shelf. I have not read it yet.

The first 3 books  of Stephen Kings The Gunslinger series are great, but then the series goes down hill. That is science-fiction/fantasy with a Stephen King twist. The first 3 are great. The main hero is a hero out of an old western, but there are monsters, witches, etc in it.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 03:18:45 PM »
Lois McMaster Bujold's series that are based in the same world: Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt

If you like those, you'll also like her sci fi series with Miles Vorkosigan, beginning with his parents in Shards of Honor, Barrayar, then start with The Warrior's Apprentice (but a lot of his adventures come in books with several books in one, so titles may be confusing).

These aren't 'epic' but they are great to read. Miles is a fascinating and hilarious character to read.

There's also the S.M. Stirling series that begins with Dies the Fire. It's post Apocalypse when all of the sudden gasoline, gunpowder, etc stop working and everything is thrown back into medieval times.

Try Stephen R Donaldson's series on Thomas the unbeliever. They are old.

My husband read those when he was in high school, so I have copies of those sitting on my shelf. I read most of them, and really didn't care for them. I had a hard time liking Thomas.

If you really want to get 'old' then there's the Xanth series by Piers Anthony or the Terry Brooks original Shannara series or Kingdom for Sale Sold.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:41:02 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:12 PM »
you can get all 10 of zelazny's amber series in one big paper back for like $15. it is called the big book of Amber. I have it on my shelf. I have not read it yet.

The first 3 books  of Stephen Kings The Gunslinger series are great, but then the series goes down hill. That is science-fiction/fantasy with a Stephen King twist. The first 3 are great. The main hero is a hero out of an old western, but there are monsters, witches, etc in it.

I liked all of the Dark Tower books. Great series. Hated the ending.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »
@eerongal: George RR Martin edited a book recently of short stories set in dying earth. Have you read them? Are they good?

I have not. I know a couple different authors have published works in jack vance's universe (which he whole-heartedly endorses. For example, there was another "offical" sequel to eyes of the overworld that came out before jack's Cugel's saga), but I've only read what vance himself has written in regards to the dying earth series.

Though, i would be very interested to see how they turned out. The way jack wrote these books is highly unique, in regards to the perceptions and interactions of the characters. I would be surprised if anyone could reproduce how he did it accurately, and convincingly.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »
Start on Pratchett if you like satire.  Most of his Discworld books are episodic, so if you want something that's an actual series, read the Bromiliad trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings.  Still, you can't really go wrong with Pratchett.  A good intro book would be Good Omens which he wrote with Neil Gaimen.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
If you want to make a big commitment, try Hunter's Oath by Michelle West. It has one sequel but then leads right into the Sun Sword Series which has 6 long books which then leads into the House War series which has two books so far.

For another big time commitment, there's the Malazon books by Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont.  Glen Cook has several series, all of them good.  Martha Well's has the Fall of Ile-Rien series---you should start with the prequel, Death of the Necromancer.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »
I enjoyed Raymond Feist's Krondor series for the most part.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:53:03 PM »
 Has anyone else read these? I have thought about reading them for a while.

Night Angels by Brent Weeks (great series)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
I've read the first book. Loved it, but haven't managed to acquire the second yet.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 01:41:43 AM »
Night Angel Series by Brent Weeks: http://www.timewastersguide.com/review/1692/The-Night-Angel-Trilogy

I've read Feist's Magician books and Daughter of the Empire books and loved those.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:52:35 AM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/