Author Topic: Larasium?  (Read 13730 times)

Randomness

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lover of checkered Vans.
    • View Profile
Larasium?
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:54 PM »
So i guess that Larasium was the small bead of metal that Elend burned, when he was in the area of the Well of Ascension in the second book. So if that metal is the body of Preservation, then why would it let you burn the body of Ruin, it's exact opposite? Just wondering...
thank goodness for sharpie's

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: Larasium?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:04 PM »
Simply put, that is just a side-effect of burning it. It enhances your body to be able to handle the metals, but its "primary" function is something else. I've no idea what that is, however.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »
Simply put, that is just a side-effect of burning it. It enhances your body to be able to handle the metals, but its "primary" function is something else. I've no idea what that is, however.

^That.

Unless i missed something, the actual effects of it are still unknown, at least to us not "in the know" with brandon.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Randomness

• Level 2
  • Lover of checkered Vans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »

^That.

Unless i missed something, the actual effects of it are still unknown, at least to us not "in the know" with brandon.
I though it gave you mistborn abilities, and thats it. i could be wrong though. Someone should ask Brandon.
thank goodness for sharpie's

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »
I though it gave you mistborn abilities, and thats it. i could be wrong though. Someone should ask Brandon.
Someone did.  His answer is where the mistborn=side-effect comments come from.  As I recall, he also said a Lerasium spike would make you a mistborn, again as a side effect of what it actually does.  I don't remember exactly where these quotes are from, though.  Some Q&A session, online or at a convention or book-signing, I'm not sure which.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »

^That.

Yeah, that's a side-effect. If, for example, vin were to have took it instead of elend, it would have done something else had she burned it.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:06:14 AM »
All the side effect talk actually came from one of the annotations if I remember correctly.  Then someone asked Brandon what would happen if a mistborn burned it, assuming its allomantic effect to be its primary effect.  The answer was that the mistborn's allomantic powers would be permanently increased, which led to some disappointment after all the side effect speculation.  But now that you mention it, no one bothered to find out about it's feruchemical or hemalurgic effects.  ... My initial reaction was to think that Brandon made a bad call here when he called it a side effect, and move on. But the crazy fandumb epileptic trees part of me wonders if there's something deeper here.  As far as Lerasium spikes go, it makes sense that if you can use Atium in Allomancy, you should be able to use Lerasium in Hemalurgy, but getting several powers at once almost seems too powerful.  Then again, the god metals don't seem very well matched.  One grants allomancy/increases allomantic strength, while the other lets you see the future?  Hmm...  Hey!  If we go with the several powers at once theory, that would make each god metal the most powerful metal in the other's magic system!  What madness is this?

Sorry for rambling.   :D

Side note: I am most likely completely wrong/reading way too much into things in my theorizing.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:35 AM »
Well, it increases your burning efficiency, but I was under the impression that that was just the same side-effect and that the side effects stack on each other. So, if somebody had a whole bunch of Lerasium, they could use 1/10 the metal that somebody else would need to do the same thing (or not need duralumin/savant status to match up). They would also get some unknown effect while they are burning the metal.

Having atium spikes is likely a similar solution for a hemalurgist, increasing your "alignment" with the given side you are using. This is just idle speculation, so we'd need one of the professionals like Chaos to validate or disprove it. Or Brandon, if you have access to him. :P
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
I just thought about a thing...
1. We know that both Larasium and Atium are Preservation's and Ruin's "bodies", part of their souls, you can call it.
2. We know that hemalurgy is about stealing other's powers, and as Sazed said, part of their souls.

So, I wonder, that maybe Larasium and Atium would provide hemalurgic effects if the spikes aren't used to pierce someone's body. Because, they are already loaded! Loaded with Preservation's and Ruin's souls.
Or maybe it's like only Larasium can be used like this, because Ruin wanted his body only for himself, but Preservation gave his power to humanity, giving it up.

Also, I have a question. Since there is a balance, and there is never more Ruin than Preservation in total, does it mean that if atium comes back to earth after it's used, would Larasium do so as well? It takes hundred years for atium, and if larasium would, I think we have a storyline for the next possible book in Mistborn world, where there are only Mistings, and suddenly, the possibility of becoming a Mistborn reappears. How much chaos would that make and how people would react to it, it's a perfect background for a story of Mr. Sanderson.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »
This is just idle speculation, so we'd need one of the professionals like Chaos to validate or disprove it.

I'm just a professional speculator :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:10:28 AM »
Also, I have a question. Since there is a balance, and there is never more Ruin than Preservation in total, does it mean that if atium comes back to earth after it's used, would Larasium do so as well? It takes hundred years for atium, and if larasium would, I think we have a storyline for the next possible book in Mistborn world, where there are only Mistings, and suddenly, the possibility of becoming a Mistborn reappears. How much chaos would that make and how people would react to it, it's a perfect background for a story of Mr. Sanderson.

I think that the mists are where most of Preservation's body is found. We've seen Dark Mists, which were of Ruin, but the mists that come out at night (and that Vin uses to fuel her Allomancy at the end of Book 1 & 3) are Preservation's body.

There may be a Lerasium mine somewhere (Peter gave me a RAFO), but the majority of Preservation's body is in Mist form.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 07:17:50 AM »
Or it was in Mist form. Maybe now that there's not Mist, maybe the Lerasium Mine will increase.

Oh! I have an old idea of what the real affect is for Lerasium. What if it is the old idea of Invincibility while you burn it? It was a pretty nasty wound that Elend recovered from...... But I suppose that the wound falls under the Lerasium-strength pewter burning he  had.

Another random speculation. I believe that all of the people on the other pole are all tunnel tiggers. I think that TLR moved them mostly underground to stay safe from Ruin.

To answer Rezo's question, yes all of the power must equal each other, but it doesn't have to equal each other in every form. In other words, the amount of Atium in the world doesn't have to equal the amount of Lerasium. And if it had, then Vin would've noticed it. Vin noticed that Ruin was equal to her, because Preservation gave up some of the power to make people intelligent, and some of Ruin's power was put into the Atium.

That answer leads me to another question- how would've Ruin gotten the power from the Atium? Would his spiritual self touch the Pits, making all of the Atium suddenly disapear? Or would've the koloss had to injest the Atium, then he grabs the power from their bodies?

I'm not sure. What is the fine for joining the Guild of Speculators?

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
The "god-mode" Larasium powered effect is a great idea. It would explain how TLR could have recovered from cutting his head off, burning in flames almost to bones, ripping off his skin and all the other stuff that happened to him ealier.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »
TLR lied about some of those things, or encouraged rumors that were not true.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »
TLR lied about some of those things, or encouraged rumors that were not true.
But, like, all of them? It's impossible for a man, no matter how powerful, to take control of almost whole world and not get almost-killed even once, or isn't it?