Author Topic: Larasium?  (Read 13750 times)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Larasium?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »
The concept of an atium misting doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
If your ability to be an allomancer comes from the amount of preservation you have letting you tap into its power, and the burning of atium is fueling allomancy through concentrated ruin; does it seem logical that the power of preservation would produce something that doesn't actually tap into preservation's power at all, but, instead, ruin's?
I'm pretty sure that's not a run-on sentence.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »
That's true, I never thought about it like this. I think we should dig into this.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 01:07:54 AM »
The concept of an atium misting doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
If your ability to be an allomancer comes from the amount of preservation you have letting you tap into its power, and the burning of atium is fueling allomancy through concentrated ruin; does it seem logical that the power of preservation would produce something that doesn't actually tap into preservation's power at all, but, instead, ruin's?
I'm pretty sure that's not a run-on sentence.

I agree. I might accept it a little easier if an Atium Misting was actually just a Temporal metal misting of some sort, but even then, it doesn't quite fit.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
It makes sense because Preservation stole Ruin's body and by hiding it in the earth Leras must have incorporated it into his own magic. I mean Leras had Ati's body so he could do anything with it except destroy it, why not make it into a metal (easier to hide it that way).
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
But the fact that it was stolen doesn't change it's power itself, does it? If it would, then Atium would be totally useless for Ruin.
But, if you think about it, it shouldn't be a problem. Allomancy doesn't use the power of Preservation, but instead it's just created by it. Preservation's and Ruin's power doesn't really collide then - you just burn the metal and release the power kept in it. Be it any kind of power.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »
But the fact that it was stolen doesn't change it's power itself, does it? If it would, then Atium would be totally useless for Ruin.
But, if you think about it, it shouldn't be a problem. Allomancy doesn't use the power of Preservation, but instead it's just created by it. Preservation's and Ruin's power doesn't really collide then - you just burn the metal and release the power kept in it. Be it any kind of power.

Allomancy is described in the books as fueled by Preservation's body. I'm not sure where you get that it doesn't use the power of Preservation- it's just an up-front use.

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:04 PM »
Must re-read the HoA and probably the rest too, I'm making more and more mistakes :)
Sorry, and thanks for pointing it out.

But anyway, you can't disagree that burning atium have nothing to do with powering yourself with Preservation.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 03:02:19 AM »

Allomancy is described in the books as fueled by Preservation's body. I'm not sure where you get that it doesn't use the power of Preservation- it's just an up-front use.
Allomancy is of Preservation, but Atium is concentrated Ruin.  A Mistborn is able to use Atium because they can use every metal, but what I'm pointing out is that why would it work that Preservation's power create the ability to only use a metal that is distinctly not of Preservation?

Elusive Fehler

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Near Empyrean
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 03:32:46 AM »
I think that Brandon has said that Leras actually changed the magic system, making Atium part of the Table and shifting off the other(normal) Temporal metals.
"Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers," — The Path of Daggers

NearEmpyrean.com

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2010, 03:50:56 AM »
Where'd ya hear that?
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2010, 04:13:34 AM »
I think that Brandon has said that Leras actually changed the magic system, making Atium part of the Table and shifting off the other(normal) Temporal metals.

This is a true statement, but this applies to what metals are actually on the table. It doesn't address the open of question of Atium and how Allomancer's burn it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
It seemed a slight plot hole for both Ruin and Preservation to have bodies/power that condenses into metal.  But I think Brandon tried to address that by having Sazed point out that they were "two sides of one coin."  But as for burning Atium, Some previously pointed out that Larasium or Snapping is just a catalyst that prepares the body to burn metals.  Once the ability exists, the metal is just a matter of which metals are sources of power.

The question that occurs to me is whether copper, tin, iron, zinc and the other allomantic, elemental metals are the "bodies" of other slivers. ;)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2010, 01:34:53 AM »
But it's the wrong power.  Preservation creating a Misting that can only use a power not of him?  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Well, the biggest distinction between the God Metals (Atium and Lerasium) and the others is not only their source, but also that Atium and Lerasium were invented solely for Mistborn.

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2010, 05:57:55 PM »
But it's the wrong power.  Preservation creating a Misting that can only use a power not of him?  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Well, the biggest distinction between the God Metals (Atium and Lerasium) and the others is not only their source, but also that Atium and Lerasium were invented solely for Mistborn.
But you missed one thing - ANYBODY can burn Larasium.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2010, 10:32:28 PM »

But you missed one thing - ANYBODY can burn Larasium.

A logical question, then, would be what would happen if a non-Allomancer ate atium much in the same manner that someone takes lerasium.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.