Author Topic: mistcloaks  (Read 4244 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: mistcloaks
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »
I can never remember if the text specifically includes hoods or not. I think it's possible that both are in there somewhere, and there's nothing that says there's only way to cut a mistcloak... Mistborn from different cities or noble houses might very well have variant designs from that which Vin and Kelsier wore.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't the absence of a hood technically make it a mistCAPE? I always thought the difference in a cloak and a cape was the hood, but I could be wrong (i'm certainly no expert), and it could be something like length or style or some other factor i'm not even aware of.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 07:17:59 PM »
For a knot that can slip out, but is still somewhat secure, I used knotted (overhand) shoelaces. If you tie it with an overhand knot, but add another turn, it's secure enough to take almost anything without slipping. You do have to give it a bit of encouragement for it to slip free, but with something rougher in the same general configuration, you could probably use a standard overhand knot. A braided cord might work, but the knobbiness and twistiness of the repeated overhands seemed to work pretty well.

The motion to remove my cloak was a light pull at the location where the shoelaces attach to the cloak, or a pull with more force anywhere else on the cloak.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

ehyde

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 09:27:50 PM »
I've already attached a frog (Chinese knot-loop closure) to the yoke, but for future reference, that type of knot sounds like a good idea.

I think it probably would be a cape, technically. I've seen things with hoods called capes but I don't think I've really seen things without hoods called cloaks. I think a cape is okay though, as Vin is obviously a superhero  ;)

I did not meet my goal of finishing last night ... maybe today? *crosses fingers* Also, the organza does not behave awesomely anymore, it just curls up and sticks to itself and to the rest of the streamers so as to make me look like a giant grey muppet, so I'm taking it back off and just using the drapey fabrics.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:23 PM »
I think it probably would be a cape, technically. I've seen things with hoods called capes but I don't think I've really seen things without hoods called cloaks. I think a cape is okay though, as Vin is obviously a superhero  ;)

Yeah, that's what i was thinking, but like i said, i could be wrong.

However, anyone who tries to poo-poo your creation for such a nit-picky semantic deserves to be ignored ;)

Either way, i really think it's going to look great. The bit you have that goes around the neck from  your photo earlier looks pretty awesome, just needs the right sort of streamers/tassles attached to it, and the fabrics you have for it look pretty good.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

ehyde

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 08:11:22 AM »
So, I've had this finished for about a week now but haven't managed to post pictures until now.

(I got a few pictures of a friend wearing it as well)

There are more pictures here: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/291150/

I put lace on the border between the yoke and the streamers; my main logic for this was that mistcloaks are meant to be something worn by noblemen and we've seen enough to know that noblemen definitely like looking fancy and I don't think their tastes would change completely when it came to mistcloaks.

My photos suffered from overly pleasant weather. Where's Mount St. Helens when you need it? (er, Washington, I suppose)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 12:06:01 PM »
Not bad, I dig it!

If I was to suggest anything (other than what I suggested before, a longer yoke and a hood, perhaps) it would be more of the streamers/tassels. Like, 2-3 times as many, if that's feasible.

That's a lot of work, though, and I like what I see here already.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »

The second picture is pretty much amazing.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。