Author Topic: Mistborn Anime  (Read 4884 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Anime
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »
Well, it's definitely not that. Ha.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 08:38:46 PM »
Huh. I guess I'll be checking out some Cowboy Bebop then. Hard to get past the feeling I'm being set up to watch a Western-themed musical with all country songs.

Totally, utterly, and completly wrong.  Though, i'll be honest, i had the same thoughts when people originally told me to watch it years ago.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 08:57:23 PM »
Huh. I guess I'll be checking out some Cowboy Bebop then. Hard to get past the feeling I'm being set up to watch a Western-themed musical with all country songs.

Jazz, actually. Cowboy Bebop is teh awesome.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Drazhar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 08:28:34 PM »
Eerongal, thanks i didnt realize that all the shows on TV are just what you said. I don't really watch TV  but I remember the classics. And as for Cowboy I totally forgot about it I'm so ashamed.

I dunno I guess its all just pure and simply a matter of opinion and I like anime a lot and I think it mixes well with fantasy if you do it right, take record of lodoss war for example.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:30:08 PM by Drazhar »

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:44 PM »
Totally had a marathon of Outlaw Star, Tri-gun & Fullmetal Panic last week. Watched every episode BWAHAH I have no life :sigh: :P
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
After you've seen Cowboy Bebop, check out Samurai Champloo. Same director, similar vibe, TOTALLY different setting and musical influence, equally awesome.

My point being, it doesn't have to be made in Japan to have awesome action or to look good, and the preconceived notion that it does has done more to hammer the final nails into American Animation than all the cheap labor pennies can buy.

If and when we do get a Mistborn feature of some sort, I 'spect it'll likely be green-screen-driven CG-enhanced live-action. Because the final arbitrator in all decisions is usually the bottom line of the financial statement.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
I think it's time we blow this scene. Get everybody and the stuff together. Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam.

Back on Mistborn though, Animation, and especially some Anime conventions, could work really well with it.  Especially the emotional metals.  Live action would have a hard time showing them being used, but I could totally see an anime coming up with a visual cue or something for that.  I don't really care how it's done, the only rule I have for a Mistborn feature is that AWESOME has to be the number 1 priority.

This reminds me though, I totally need to watch the rest of Tri-gun.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 04:10:11 AM »
I think it's time we blow this scene. Get everybody and the stuff together. Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam.

Old, but at this point obligatory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcCZVgqisic
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 04:20:26 AM »
Thoughts on Cowboy Bebop so far:
  • Yay! Actual stories with decent writing and real fights!
  • Pretty high production values..
  • Possibly the best music of any TV show ever. I was really surprised by that one.
  • They keep collecting party members, just like a JRPG, which I thought was kinda funny. I was disappointed in some of them, though. I mean, they get a dog, right? But it's not just any dog, it's a "data dog", whatever that means, and is supposedly super intelligent and worth millions. Except...it's just a dog. That's all they do with it.

Then they pick up Edward, the super hacker genius who is actually a ~10-year-0ld girl with serious hyperactivity issues. They show her effortlessly pulling crazy hacking stunts all the time before joining the party. Post-party-joining, she becomes little more than comic relief. Disappointing.
  • They almost never actually collect any bounties, yet somehow still have money. This puzzles me.
  • Only 26 episodes? D'oh. I suppose that's the price of quality. Still, when something like Naruto gets over 400 episodes, it's sad that something like this is so short.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »
How many episodes have you watched?
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:30 AM »
The music is definitely a high point. It's one of the few series for which I have not just one, but several soundtracks ("Music for Freelance" is my favorite, I think. Radio Free Mars rules!).

There's a strong theme that runs through the series which suggests that life is full of loose threads and unresolved issues. So don't expect Chekov's Gun to apply here consistently, or you'll go nuts.

While the crew of the Bebop are bounty hunters, the show is not about them being bounty hunters. Nevertheless, they have some successes. I think it's more accurate to say that they always have barely enough money... the plots of several episodes revolve around them being perpetually broke and often hungry.

Ein plays some subtle parts, it's not as though they do nothing with him for the whole series. Ed's hacking skills play a key part in at least three episodes that I can recall.

I'll wait until you've seen the ending to say any more.  ;D

You're gonna carry that weight...

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:10:11 PM by Inkthinker »

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 02:07:15 PM »
ryos, i'm glad you see things our way on cowboy bebop, as we won't have to resort to a "break your legs"-style of negotation on the matter.

Seriously, though, i've never encountered anyone who's HATED cowboy bebop (dont get me wrong, im sure they exist, but that doesnt seem to be the general consesus)

Mostly for many of the positives you stated. I.e. production quality, story, music, etc.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 07:13:52 AM »

Oh, um, y'know...13. Yes, I'm that pathetic.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 07:30:34 AM »

Then you still have half the series to go. Ein and Ed play larger parts in other episodes - and Ed has some of the best lines in the whole show.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »

Then you still have half the series to go. Ein and Ed play larger parts in other episodes - and Ed has some of the best lines in the whole show.

Ed's awesome.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard