Author Topic: Ive met Brandon Sanderson  (Read 7028 times)

filoph94

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ive met Brandon Sanderson
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 12:07:19 PM »
I have met Brandons Snaderson. And, no, it wasnt in a booksigning, or convention, it was when i worked at Broders Bookstore. He walked in,but before that, Ive had no idea who he was, o I just though he was another regular customer, until he came up to the counter with a large stack of books, some multiple copies. I said:Damn sir, shopping for your kids?" and he simply said "No, i wrote them". He gave me a copy of Elantris, not signed, then signed the books he had picked up. I read Elantris, and was fascinated. aqfter that, I bought all o the signed books of his,and have been trying to follow his work to the best of my ability, but it is difficult, being in Iraq. I am currently reading Warbreaker.

Where in Iraq are you? You can PM me. I am also in Iraq, and coincidentally am also reading Warbreaker. Small world... I will be reading Mistborn once my Kindle arrives.

Yes. A book is more likely to sell if it is signed, so writers often go in and sign books at any bookstore they pass, especially if it's an area they haven't been before. (Brandon doesn't do it near his house, but does when he's on tour, including airport bookstores.)

Most authors stop doing it once they're fairly well known, because it's a bit of a hassle.

It's probably along the same lines as why he has been posting his writing online on his website. He explained that providing an audience with a sample ends up selling more. I'm not going to break it down like he did Here, but suffice it to say something small like this can generate a lot of buzz via word of mouth. I've only read a few chapters of Warbreaker (the free copy from his site), but I know for sure I will be reading the entire Mistborn trilogy, and most likely all of the books in The Stormlight Archive series as well. Not to mention any future books he'll be producing.
ALl i can say about my whereabouts is that IM about an hour from Mosul.

drackmire

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »
I have met Brandons Snaderson. And, no, it wasnt in a booksigning, or convention, it was when i worked at Broders Bookstore. He walked in,but before that, Ive had no idea who he was, o I just though he was another regular customer, until he came up to the counter with a large stack of books, some multiple copies. I said:Damn sir, shopping for your kids?" and he simply said "No, i wrote them". He gave me a copy of Elantris, not signed, then signed the books he had picked up. I read Elantris, and was fascinated. aqfter that, I bought all o the signed books of his,and have been trying to follow his work to the best of my ability, but it is difficult, being in Iraq. I am currently reading Warbreaker.

Where in Iraq are you? You can PM me. I am also in Iraq, and coincidentally am also reading Warbreaker. Small world... I will be reading Mistborn once my Kindle arrives.

Yes. A book is more likely to sell if it is signed, so writers often go in and sign books at any bookstore they pass, especially if it's an area they haven't been before. (Brandon doesn't do it near his house, but does when he's on tour, including airport bookstores.)

Most authors stop doing it once they're fairly well known, because it's a bit of a hassle.

It's probably along the same lines as why he has been posting his writing online on his website. He explained that providing an audience with a sample ends up selling more. I'm not going to break it down like he did Here, but suffice it to say something small like this can generate a lot of buzz via word of mouth. I've only read a few chapters of Warbreaker (the free copy from his site), but I know for sure I will be reading the entire Mistborn trilogy, and most likely all of the books in The Stormlight Archive series as well. Not to mention any future books he'll be producing.

Stay safe and keep your head down up there.
Currently Reading: Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

filoph94

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 12:31:10 AM »

Stay safe and keep your head down up there.
Thanksman, willdo

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 02:10:08 AM »
Why don't they get bigger pockets?  I wore cargo shorts and pants in high school so I could fit Wheel of Time books in them.

Those are some big pockets! Wow, I just lug 'en around.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:56 AM »

I had a pair of Tripp pants that I could fit (at the time all) up to Harry Potter 5 all hardback into my pockets at the same time.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 05:49:37 AM »
Are those things still sold?? Cause I'd like to get me a pair. They sound quite handy.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 06:29:49 AM »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 07:59:40 AM »

I don't think they'd be your style Natalie. . . xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mack

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
I actually don't understand why people value signatures at all. I don't get it.

I guess it is just me, since most people seem to find them valuable.

Me neither, but I would love to signed copies of Wheel of Time and Mistborn because they are two of the top 10 series I have ever read, and I have read many, many series. Being as Mr. Jordan has passed away it would be difficult to get the Wheel of Time and since Mr. Sanderson lives most of the way across the USA from me and I live in a small town that a signing will never come to. But, I always keep my eyes out on ebay and Mr. Sanderson's site.

Eagerly awaiting Mr. Sanderson's new books , Towers of Midnight and starter of his new epic fantasy ( name escapes me ).

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
I actually don't understand why people value signatures at all. I don't get it.

I guess it is just me, since most people seem to find them valuable.

Me neither, but I would love to signed copies of Wheel of Time and Mistborn because they are two of the top 10 series I have ever read, and I have read many, many series. Being as Mr. Jordan has passed away it would be difficult to get the Wheel of Time and since Mr. Sanderson lives most of the way across the USA from me and I live in a small town that a signing will never come to. But, I always keep my eyes out on ebay and Mr. Sanderson's site.

Eagerly awaiting Mr. Sanderson's new books , Towers of Midnight and starter of his new epic fantasy ( name escapes me ).

That's The Way of Kings, first novel of The Stormlight Archive.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom