Author Topic: How many books/year do you read?  (Read 7193 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
How many books/year do you read?
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
I think many of you destroy me in reading volume. I'll include audiobooks in my case too since I like them alot (I use them in my car and when i ride my bike). I think in total I have read or listened to about 220 novels in my life. For most Americans that is alot, many of you probably beat that when you were kids.

I have probably also read all or large parts of about 150 non-fiction books. This does not include all the technical documentation I read at work. I often don't read entire non-fiction books (programming books often overlap for example so I skip stuff).

What about you? I sense that Peter and Bookstore guy have read exponentially more than me. I'll bet Brandon has read alot more than me too. John Scalzi blogged that he reads 1-2 books/week.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: How many books/year do you read?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »
An obscene amount.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:56:57 AM »
An obscene amount.

Same here, although probably not as many as Bookstore Guy has to wade through due to his review site. I'd guess though he'd read the same amount, just more that he'd prefer to read.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:43 AM »
Where is bookstore guy's review site? Is it TWG reviews? I have not seen that many yet.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:38:47 AM »
I tend to read slow.. usually 1 booka week sometimes it takes me 2 weeks to read a book.  And if I'm really interested in a series I can read 2 maybe 3  300-400 page books in a week.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:41:43 AM »
Where is bookstore guy's review site? Is it TWG reviews? I have not seen that many yet.

Elitist Book Reviews. The link is in his signature. Read it, use it, love it.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:57:29 AM »
One year I actually kept track. It was 70ish (fiction & non-fiction novel length), if I included all the books I read for friends who needed an alpha reader (so not officially published, but still novel length), YA books I read with my daughter, church stuff, etc. I wrote a ton of book reviews that year, but have gotten a little bored with writing reviews since then.

Anyone who wants to write a review for TWG can. You submit off the front page.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
@bookstore guy: great site. I disagree with you on Empire by Orson Scott Card. I did not like it at all. I thought it was silly and too contrived. The Augustus/Octavian tie in made me roll my eyes. Being a moderate like Card, I get his annoyance with liberals and conservatives bickering over everything, but the story lacked the necessary sophistication to pull something like this off.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
Last year I read 108 books and started, but gave up on, 20 more.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »
do you read those novels for work? I don't know how you can have the time to read 108 novels on your own.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
Averages out to about 1 a week.... some weeks zero some weeks 3-4...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 07:21:24 PM »
@bookstore guy: great site. I disagree with you on Empire by Orson Scott Card. I did not like it at all. I thought it was silly and too contrived. The Augustus/Octavian tie in made me roll my eyes. Being a moderate like Card, I get his annoyance with liberals and conservatives bickering over everything, but the story lacked the necessary sophistication to pull something like this off.

That novel wasn't reviewed by me.  It was reviewed by Nick.  We co-run the site.  He wanted to review Card's novel.  If you notice, it is one of a very few selection of reviews not done in the voice of "we."  I don't read Card.  At all.  Nick, thankfully, doesn't share my bias.  In fact, one of my requests when Nick and I started the blog was that I never be required to read a novel by Card.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 03:23:58 AM »
I think many of you destroy me in reading volume. I'll include audiobooks in my case too since I like them alot (I use them in my car and when i ride my bike). I think in total I have read or listened to about 220 novels in my life. For most Americans that is alot, many of you probably beat that when you were kids.

I have probably also read all or large parts of about 150 non-fiction books. This does not include all the technical documentation I read at work. I often don't read entire non-fiction books (programming books often overlap for example so I skip stuff).

What about you? I sense that Peter and Bookstore guy have read exponentially more than me. I'll bet Brandon has read alot more than me too. John Scalzi blogged that he reads 1-2 books/week.

Anyone actually know how many books Brandon read before he started writing his books?   

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 03:43:14 AM »
Anyone actually know how many books Brandon read before he started writing his books?
All of them.

I read about 2/month because I'm lazy.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:10:16 PM »
Brandon needs to stop writing and read more. It would stimulate the economy with all the fantasy books he would buy.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:12:55 PM by guessingo »