Author Topic: March 8 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name of God Anaiah 3  (Read 1263 times)

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
March 8 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name of God Anaiah 3
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:24:15 AM »
For those of you who either don't remember of have not read Anaiah 1 and 2, and because someone actually made a request on a chapter to read:

Anaiah 1:  As a very tiny  girl, Anaiah was found and adopted by Caramoth, the village smith.  She has white skin, everyone else in the Ziphoa tribe has black skin.  they all think she's a witch and want to kill her.

Anaiah 2:  Anaiah, quite the outcast and her father because of her, is now 10 years old and wants to be a warrior for the tribe.  Annoyed and tired of a girl named Hilva trying to pick fights with her, Anaiah tries to ask Amoz, the High Chief's son, to teach her to fight, since Sallu, the war chief, won't do it.  Amoz tries but Sallu won't allow it.  Hilva tries to pick another fight, this time with weapons.  Sallu sanctions it and Anaiah is given weapons.  In a rather amazing turn of events, Anaiah defeats Hilva.  Outraged, Hilva tries to kill Anaiah again, only to be cast out from the young warriors.

Anaiah 3:  In which day and night are explained (as I always intended) and the aftermath of Anaiah vs. Hilva.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
Re: March 8 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name of God Anaiah 3
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:37:02 AM »
I'd give initial impressions upon reading, but after I wrote it here and began, I wasn't able to turn away.

To refresh myself on Anaiah, I went back and read her previous two chapters before going into this one. I have to say, I felt this was the strongest of the three by far. There was not one point in the story where I was knocked out, with the exception of a misspelled word that gave me pause early on. If I had read this chapter first in the book (after the prologue, of course), everything else would have made a lot more sense.

I can't especially find much to fault with this submission, to be perfectly honest. The opening was delightful, contrasting greatly with the conflict and suspense of the fight with Hilva later on. The toy murt was perfect in this regard as well - you can see how much she love sit in the beginning, and feel her heartbreak at seeing it afterwards in pieces. I'm still a little confused as to what a murt is and what it looks like, and the same can be said of buluos, but I can finally picture the chuts in my mind.

Anaiah 1 and 2 contained relevant character information, but I got a much stronger feel of her from this chapter than I did from the other two, as well as the relationship she has with her adoptive father. This feels like the proper starting point for the story as well - this, of course, goes back to the feeling that the story has spent too much time with each other the character's early lives. Many of the important aspects of the first two chapters could be folded into this one - the fight with Hilva, for example, through a few lines of dialogue between them and a bit of quick narrative reflection on Anaiah's part.

Earlier parts of her life can be touched upon later in the story, when/if they become relevant. One of my biggest complaints with some fantasy - and the first that comes to mind is The Belgariad by David Eddings - was spending far too much time in the less interesting parts of the main character's early lives. I can't remember it exactly, and I'm too lazy to grab the book off my shelf, but I remember feeling that the first few chapters of Pawn of Prophecy dragged on endlessly talking about Garion's early life, with what felt like so few important details spread thin throughout.

Anyway, I can't find much to fault with this chapter other than it's placement in the overall story. I might be able to say differently if I reread it with less tired eyes, and maybe I should have waited until then to post this, but I felt this initial reaction to be the right one. Strong chapter, very strong, and very nice work.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
Thank you very much for your critique.  Now If only I could boost all the other chapters to this level.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:42:50 PM »
I agree with Shivertongue on this chapter, it was a good beginning chapter. The only thing that really jarred me here and there are some grammar/spelling issues, but those are easily fixed.

In light of what I’ve been complaining and worrying about, namely the inordinate amount of time/words spent in the beginning parts, you’d do well I think to cut a lot of Anaiah 1 and 2 – add what you think we really need in this chapter and just forget about the rest.

One of the things you can probably skip out on is how she was found in the desert. When Caramoth mentions they don’t look much alike in chapter four is a good enough hint for the reader to know they aren’t related. The trouble with the other tribe members should show she’s not welcome either, which is what you’ve been trying to show with those chapters.

The thing I liked most this chapter was her toy, Trell. I really felt for Anaiah when it was broken and I haven’t had much opportunity to feel for her character so far. Chapters six and seven don’t paint a pretty picture of Anaiah after all, killing people and starting a quest for genocide are not endearing qualities.