Author Topic: sfsite's best reads of 2009  (Read 1501 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
sfsite's best reads of 2009
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »
Which ones have you read and do you like the choices? We can skip Gathering Storm. Everyone here knows about these.

I read Spin by Robert Charles Wilson and it was GREAT. I want to read Julian Comstock when I get a chance. Alot of people here also seen to like Ian Banks and Joe Abercrombie.

I think the Windup Girl was nominated for a Hugo.

http://www.sfsite.com/columns/best10b.htm

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: sfsite's best reads of 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:58:46 PM »
I've read a few of those, and some of them are good.  I'm not sure why you put Spin as a 2009 novel though...that was the 2006 Hugo winner.  And Windup Girl hasn't been officially nominated yet I don't think, since the nomination period is still open.

The Cherie Priest steampunk novel is pretty cool, as is the fantasy-noir Jeff VanderMeer.  The Paul McAuley stuff is ok, and of course Chine Mieville is great.  Of course, that site's list of recommendations includes some pretty poor choices.  The Strain?  The Painted Main (or The Warded Man depending on your location)?  Sandman Slim?  Seriously?  And as much as I like Bakker, The Judging Eye?  Really?

I have no faith in that site.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:57:59 AM »
I guess I was not clear about Spin. I know it is not from 2009. I mentioned it since I have not read Julian Comstock yet and it is by the same author.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 04:23:21 PM »
I haven't read a single book on this list.  I feel a little guilty.
If I had any clue, would I be here?