Author Topic: Sample Chapters?  (Read 2302 times)

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Sample Chapters?
« on: March 06, 2010, 04:01:29 AM »
For the tl;dr in all of us, I'll get right to the point: is there a place I can get sample chapters of Dan's books?

Why? Here's the deal: I don't really like horror. In fact, I avoid it. But, smart people whose opinions I trust keep recommending I Am Not a Serial Killer. And, well, I've enjoyed a Dean Koontz book or two in the past. I bet I could take it if the book were good enough.

But I want to be sure before I drop any dough on this, and that's where the sample chapters come in. If the books were out in the US I could just go to a book store. Well, I suppose I could wait 'till the 30th, too, but I'm starting to get that itch, you know, the one were you need a book to read...and if I'm going to be buying a book, I may as well make it IANASK—that is, of course, assuming I'd enjoy it.

Which brings us back to those sample chapters. I haven't been able to find any. :(
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
Re: Sample Chapters?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:12:12 AM »
I got a sample chapter from Barnes & Noble. This was when I thought the book was already out in the US, something of which they informed me was not the case. Like you, I'm not the biggest fan of horror, and wanted to take a look at it before I buying.

Clearly, they didn't have it, but they printed out the first chapter for me to look over. The writing was powered by awesome, which was enough for me to order it from the UK. I don't know about any online, though.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
"Horror" is perhaps the most misused genre label.  For whatever reason, horror is a blanket term, and has the misconception that it must be all hack-n-slash and gorefest.  People tend to think that Horror is light on character, must have killer animals that rise from the grave to eat your face, and must involve all manner of shock-value elements.

Pretend that Dan's book is Urban Fantasy (here is a secret, Horror and Urban Fantasy are the same thing).  Dan's book has all sorts of character development, plenty of suspense, humor, and terrific pacing.  Over at the EBR blog, we just updated our review due to the US release coming shortly.  Go give it a read.

My wife hates "horror" and she thought Serial Killer was full of awesome, and made me import the sequel (which I was gonna do anyway).  Think of it as a young Dexter, only much better written, and with borderline paranormal aspects in it.

I haven't seen any sample chapters lately, but im sure Amazon will have some up close to the release date.  Also, if you are unsure, just wait until it is released, go to you local bookstore, and read the first chapter or two.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:20:33 AM »
My wife hates "horror" and she thought Serial Killer was full of awesome, and made me import the sequel (which I was gonna do anyway).  Think of it as a young Dexter, only much better written, and with borderline paranormal aspects in it.

Better paranormal aspects. Not the weak uh... junk Lindsey introduced in book three.

As another who tends to dislike "horror" I completely agree, for the exact reasons stated above. This isn't horror that comes from violence, it's horror that comes from tension, suspense, and knowing something horrifying is out there but not knowing when it's coming. I devoured the book, and I'm strongly tempted now to import Mr. Monster early.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
To put it another way, there's nothing more "horrible" in the books than you might see in a number of episodes of CSI. Except for, of course, the paranormal aspect—and CSI doesn't begin to compare in the tension/suspense department.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!