Author Topic: Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson  (Read 1520 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:21:48 AM »
Someone on here mentioned him, so I checked him out... Are these good? My public library has a fairly limited supply of sci-fi/fantasy audiobooks. After I finish Wheel of Time on audio (yes I read them too), I need a new series. I want to stick with sci-fi/fantasy for now. Yeah I like to read too, but I have a sedentary job... so I don't want to sit on the couch when I get home plus I prefer books to movies in my car. 

Are these good? The library has the whole series.

I have liked the reviews I have seen on here.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 06:37:21 AM »
I bailed on the first one after about 200 pages.  There are like 14 different POV characters and there wasn't a whole lot for me to distinguish between them all.  The story is a lot of "telling", as in explanation as to what is going on and what is happening and why it's important instead of description that lets you get absorbed in the story.  It just wasn't for me.  KJA definitely does better than his counterpart, Brian Herbert, though.  I'd suggest never picking up a book written solely by Mr. Herbert (son of the amazing Frank.  Definitely read Frank's stuff--he's the dad).  :)  For people that like that kind of storytelling, it's apparently pretty good dice.  So, go with your tastes, I'd say.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:02:02 PM »
One of my good friends (he is the guy that introduced me to Bakker, Erikson and Mieville--aka I trust him 100%) read this series.  He said once you get past the first 3 or 4 novels, it is decent...

So yeah, I'd pass on it.

Go read David Weber's Safehold series, or some Alastair Reynolds.  Also David Louis Edelman's Jump 225 Trilogy is sweet.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
I listened to Webbers safehold series on recorded books. He is clearly serializing it to get as many novels as he can out of the world he created and purposely going slow. too many conversations to solve problems. Ill check the next book out of the library to see where he is going.

reynolds is not available on audiobooks at the library I use. selection of audiobooks are limited.