Author Topic: Way of Kings Cover Art  (Read 17781 times)

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
Re: Way of Kings Cover Art
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
I see your point (and I think we've discussed this before).  Though I'd disagree about Whelan capturing the feel of the book--I don't feel and sort of emotion behind the painting.  It doesn't evoke an emotional response like a Picacio or a Martiniere.  Of course, this is strictly a personal opinion, and I can easily see how others love it, and why Marketing is going for the Whelan cover.

Bookstore Guy: I think you're exactly right.  It's a matter of taste.  For example, while Picacio is a nice guy at the Cons and everything, and I think he is a very good artist, I don't care for the look of books with his artwork on them.  (This is obviously not the case with other people.  His artwork, when seen in person, is gorgeous.)  You and I both agree that Martiniere makes great covers.  And as for me,  I will pick up a book with a Whelan cover no matter who the author is.

Having said that, I do wish I could see more of the cover through the largeness of Brandon's name.  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:18:37 AM by CtrlZed »

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
Bookstore Guy: I think you're exactly right.  It's a matter of taste.  For example, while Picacio is a nice guy at the Cons and everything, and I think he is a very good artist, I really dislike the look of books with his artwork on them.  (This is obviously not the case with other people.)  You and I both agree that Martiniere makes great covers.  And as for me,  I will pick up a book with a Whelan cover no matter who the author is.

Having said that, I do wish I could see more of the cover through the largeness of Brandon's name.  :)

I completely see your point.  Whelan, to me, is a status symbol because of the exact point you mention.  He became so synonymous with big name authors (Stephen King, Tad Williams, etc) that the association is ingrained in the older, fantasy reading crowd.  And really, that is who Brandon needs to pick up/solidify as a fan base.  He's already done well with new readers.  You know, I almost wish the background of the painting had been reversed.  Make the dude a tad smaller, and put the focal point of the storm on the front cover with the type a bit smaller.  Meh.  If wishes were fishes, and all that...

The prologue for the book will be in the back of the WARBREAKER paperback at the end of this month. I believe that Brandon has never read the full prologue at a reading; I've always heard him stop halfway through. If you have heard him read the first half and thought it was awesome, let me say you ain't seen nothin' yet. (Though I guess the people in this thread who have already read or are currently reading the book can attest to that.) (If you are currently reading it, make sure it has chapter 26.)

Yeah, the new prologue is very cool.  It bookends with the epilogues (and matches Dalinar) much better that the early version I read.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
I would just like to say, *ahem* Hooray for Bridge Crews!  Also, I really like the cover.  Maybe I'm just biased toward Brandon, but that thing screams, "EPIC!"  If a poster is made of the entire wrap-around, I will totally buy that.  (Assuming I'm not broke.)
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
It will be the Szeth prologue in the back of WARBREAKER, though it has been revised substantially since you originally saw it. The other new prologue is right now being called the series prelude and comes before the Szeth prologue in the book. Also, the epilogues have been changed to part 5, except for the last one, so there is only one epilogue in the book now.

Michael Whelan will most likely sell prints of the art. They are not cheap.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:02:15 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
Did Brandon change the Szeth prologue substantially from the 7.0 version?  Or the series prologue for that matter?

And yeah Whelan's prints are rather pricey.  $100 to $200 is the average for a normal one.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »

The Szeth prologue is absolutely fantastic and leaves you wanting to know a lot of things and truly keeps you reading wanting to understand what how and why.  It is in all sense of the word epic.

The prelude was cool, but not as good. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »
Szeth? Bridge crews?

Stop confusing me... >_<

Honestly, the cover does nothing for me. I couldn't tell there was a storm brewing until someone else mentioned it, I could barely tell that was a sword in the guy's hand (on first glance it looked like an umbrella), and while the art is superb, it looks like the standard fantasy cover. The only interesting aspect, the only part I can directly connect with what little I know about The Way of Kings is the shelled plants on the ground.

If I had never heard of Brandon Sanderson, never read any of his books, and I came across this in the bookstore, I'd likely pass it right on by. I could pick a book off my shelf at home and have a fifty percent chance of pulling a cover with a guy holding a sword with an obscure figure in the background.

And is the guy in the foreground wearing a poncho?

But really, this is just me. Even in the above scenario I'd likely buy the book based off the synopsis on the inside jacket. I guess I was just hoping to see a cover with a really freakin' huge sword, and a guy in the middle of one of these violent storms. Or something like that.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »
That's interesting, I thought the Prelude was super interesting, especially with how it ties to the Epilogue and to Dalinar.  Of course, I got the Prelude after I had already read a version of the novel, so maybe my perspective is skewed.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »

lol.

Well I the depiction of the landscape is quite good and you'll understand eventually.  It really is quite accurate as far as covers go.

Also, it's a cape. xD

@Bookstore - Yeah it does.  It is interesting, but it's less awesome as the prologue.  Plus it does well introducing the Shardblades.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »
It's at 7.4 now, not substantially changed from 7.0. I was referring to the first time you read the book, BSG.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 08:17:13 PM »
I don't know that one is better, they both illustrate different things really well.  The Prelude, to me, gives a nice epic scope, and introduces some of the history behind all the misunderstandings people have in the novel.  The Prologue showcases the "magic."  It's very flashy, and usually I'd say it was way more awesome (you know how I loves me some action scenes), but for some reason the perception of the past is a really big thing for me lately, which is why I love the Prelude.

Shiver--Yeah its a cape, and a clever way not to show the guy's armor.  Though a poncho with an umbrella would be awesome.

It's at 7.4 now, not substantially changed from 7.0. I was referring to the first time you read the book, BSG.

Whew.  You were worrying me for a sec.  And yeah, I noticed the differences between 3.0 and 7.0.  I'm not gonna read too much more of 7.0 because the next version I read will have a review based off of it, and reviewing the 7.0 just won't be right (lemme know when a final is ready to request from Tor).

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 08:35:16 PM »
Shiver--Yeah its a cape, and a clever way not to show the guy's armor.  Though a poncho with an umbrella would be awesome.

I know, right? It'd be possibly the coolest thing ever if these Shardblades doubled as umbrellas. THAT is something I've never seen before, and would fit, in a weird sort of way, in a world plagued by incredibly frequent hurricane-like storms
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »
I have to agree with BSG about the prologue vs prelude.  I personally thought the prelude was a bit cooler.  I mean, the magic was awesome, and I love seeing more of Szeth, but I really wanted to know more about the original ten and how that all ties in.  (Of course, Chris there has a bit of an ahead on us in the sense that he thinks it's similar to something in Dragonsteel, so he's opinion might not be the best to go off of.  *peace*)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »

There isn't a LOT that is the same.  Just certain things.  I'll go into more detail on messenger later.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »
Fair enough.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"