Author Topic: question about Brandon and editing  (Read 1337 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
question about Brandon and editing
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
I just read his latest update about Towers of Midnight. Anyone know the following.

1. is he exclusively working with Harriet and Team Jordan on this or is his other editor at TOR Moshe Feder editing the book also?
2. When he says 82% done, I am assuming he has sent what he has done to his editors and they got back to him or do writers write the whole book and then send it to the editors?
3. by done this summer, does that mean done, done. Such as all editing, copy editing, etc... ?
4. does copy editing go on why you are 80% done with a book or is that the last thing you do when you are done writing?
5. by final version of Way of Kings. Is that final version before all editing (including copy editing) or final and done version ready to go on sale?
6. what interior artwork for Way of Kings? Does he mean maps and pictures for new pages? Doesn't an artist do this? Or does brandon sketch them out first?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: question about Brandon and editing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:29:19 AM »
I can answer the last one!

He has hired four people to do artwork in the book because one of the characters is (as he's put it) a darwin type character (except a woman).  She sketches the creatures she sees, and those sketches will be included in the book.  I know that Issac (artist for the MB series) is doing these cool arches at the beginning of each chapter that indicates who is in it, and a hint of what will happen.  There's also something like seven different maps.

The thing he has to do is he must speak with the artist and say "this is what I want".  The artist then comes back with a piece and he then must reply with changes to be made.  I'm sure Ink could tell you more about it, since he does something similar for a living.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »
I thought art was one of the services that the publisher provides? Brandon has to pay the artist himself?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:53:25 PM »
Brandon pays for the art himself so he can have more contol over it and so he can own it instead of the publisher owning it. This way all the foreign editions of Brandon's books can use the art. (The publisher still pays for the cover.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »
Plus Issac is a friend of Brandon's, so it's more convienient than having a publisher-employeed artist you'd have to go back and forth with.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/