Author Topic: February 25 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name of God, Guli 3  (Read 1667 times)

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
February 25 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name of God, Guli 3
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:21:06 AM »
And Guli 3 in which a lot of stuff happens . . . all kind of at once.  Chaos said I could still submit . . . so I am.

Guli 1:  guli is a very tall boy who was found one day while singing and dancing with rocks.  The rocks danced along with him.  Hamaline and Dala, husband and wife, were unsure what do to with a white skinned giant boy who made rocks dance until they saw him life something made of heavy stone as large as he was (then).  Deciding he would be absolutely perfect for the mines, they keep him and adopt him.  Guli can't remember much about himself.

Guli 2:  Guli and his adopted father and friends work in the mine.  Guli loves working in the mine because he gets to sing and be with his father.  As Guli tried to remember where he came from, it gives him head aches.  At the end of one huuk (what we would consider a normal day with out the setting sun part), Guli finds he can't sleep and so gets up to go hunting to feed his pet Murt, Tabitha.  While hunting they find a large caravan of white skinned people who try to get Guli to tell them where his village is.  Guli, seeing only one aggressive person, decided to not tell them, but rather tell them to go away (and displaying a feat of strength as well.

Guli 3:  In which the results of Guli's showing off occurs, and Guli learns why he has head aches.

I apologize in advance for typos.  I just got this compy back and so have only been able to do a quick proof read of the chapter.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
Re: February 25 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name of God, Guli 3
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:37:33 AM »
A Guli chapter. Alright, I look forward to being proven wrong on my prediction.

Thoughts while reading ( a method I'm stealing from someone else here, clearly) :

Guli is returning home from the incident at the end of the last Guli chapter, right? Or has some time elapsed? If the former, I'm a little surprised he's not thinking over what had just happened. On the other hand, considering the character, I'm not surprised in the slightest.

The attack came on very suddenly. Took me a moment to realize that it was actually happening.

Dala is either in shock or has seen people torn apart by a boy with his bare hands before, 'cause she's taking this a lot better than I expect I would. The bits of dialogue with her and delusional Hamaline made me chuckle.

Oh, good. Shock wore off and the impact hit her rather hard.

Oh, sweet Raptor Jesus... cannibalism. The disturbing bar has just been risen to the point where nothing in this entire story will horrify me more.  :-X

Forced septum piercings. Oh boy. How thick are these bones, and how sharp? How much care did the piercers take in finding the right spot? There's only a thin valley of flesh where it's really safe to pierce, otherwise you're tearing through cartilage, which is very messy and bloody. Not to mention painful. I won't even ask if they used hollow needles, as I don't think it too likely they could make those with bone.

Okay, finished.

You're right, it does need a bit more polish, but considering the circumstances, I'll let it slide for now.

This has to be my favourite Guli chapter thus far (which I know isn't too difficult, as it's only the third). A lot of stuff did happen, and I feel as though the plot of the entire story has ben pushed forward significantly, most obviously for Guli himself. And you did a successful job of proving me somewhat wrong. I was right about the attack on the village (but then, it was obvious and I would have been disappointed if it HADN'T happened) but I did not predict the taking of the children as slaves. Which I really should have, now that I think about it. The caravan's intentions were telegraphed quite clearly. I think it may be because the entire experience was seen through Guli's eyes, and he's not the type of person who would consider that people might do such a thing. A sign of quality writing, I think, that I became so immersed in the character that I thought the same way he did.

There were only two moments in which I was knocked out of the story a bit, and those are rather personal. The cannibalism bit (*shudders*) and the forced septum piercings. Having had a number of piercings myself (bridge, both eyebrows, labret and nape), the lack of preparation put into it by the piercers stood out to me. I know, it's a very different world, and it wasn't important to show preparations, if any, in the narrative, but nevertheless it did. Unless those bone needles are hollow, and they hit directly on the sweet spot, and the bones placed in the piercing are equivalent to 12g or 14g, you're going to have a lot more than just some girls crying out. It'd be quite bloody and very painful, and I doubt Lazula would be able to withstand it without some kind of reaction. And after that, they need a careful regimen of hygiene care for the affected area for a few weeks after, otherwise infections could develop. (This isn't so bad a problem, because it would take a very long time for the infection to spread anywhere truly dangerous, and by then they would have noticed and had some kind of treatment. Still, if the needles aren't clean it is a risk.)

Keep in mind, this just knocked me out of the story for a moment. People who haven't had piercings probably would not have the same issue, and the women piercing the girls likely wouldn't care too much if it hurt. One change I'd suggest, just a small one to add a bit more realism, is upping reactions and adding a bit of blood to the whole piercing-party. Lazula having less of a reaction is fine - everyone handles piercings differently - but the younger girls would definitely be doing more than crying out a bit. Better hope they don't pick at it too...

Anyway, moving on from that tangent...

Yeah, a lot of that was kind of "all-at-once" but I thought this chapter worked incredibly well overall. Conflict, tension, plot progression, a little lacking in character development (I would expect Guli to be a little less trusting of these people and forced to become a bit less naive... unless my guess that he's developmentally disabled is accurate.) The only real problems are ones that can be fixed with some polishing and thorough proofreading. Nice work. ^_^
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

ubiqe

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
A nice read in general - I really liked the plot and how it all swiftly moved forward. And it left me wanting to read the next Guli part, which is good.
The one thing that disturbed me - and I mean a lot - is Guli himself. He's totally unconvincing. He speaks like a 5 year old but sees the world as an adult would do. There's a huge discrepancy between the style of description and his mono/dialogue. How can he be able to perfectly analise the situation when he thinks about freeing himself from the chains (cause-effect, needed tools, risk assesment, etc) and then say: 'that was mean' when somebody kills his friend? Ok, so I accept that he might be mentally disturbed and act  younger (that is speak, because there's not that much of an action coming from him) than he is, but then he wouldn't see everything as it is described in the chapter. If you cut out the very few lines of his thoughts that are not vocalised, this chapter could be from someone else's POV that is a witness and simply describes everything that happens to Guli. The other kids need improvement too - except Lazula, who actually feels real. Their behaviour is simply artificial. 'They killed all mummies and daddies'??? lol. I suggest that you grab some kids/YA book and see how a kids pov is constructed. I know it usually takes away from the world description and depth, but a child simply views things different. Especially a child that speaks the way Guli does.

Another, maybe less important, thing is Dala's part. First thing - the switch between POVs is confusing. I had to go back and check how it actually happens the moment Guli passed out. Obviously, it couldn't be his POV afterwards, but the moment when you switch is not that obvious (and it only adds to my feeling that it's actually some third person describing everything).
Second - does she actually have any feelings? You might have wanted to cut her story short, as it is Guli's chapter after all, but it feels strange. Either she is some well trained super hero that saves people every other day, or she's not real. If she were in shock she wouldn't be planning everything so clearly (anyway, she was just woken from sleep, wasn't she?), if she's not - she's got to feel something. Her world is crumbling before her eyes - and she goes about saving her life and her family as she would about sweeping the floor. You have to give her some emotions through out the whole thing, not only at the end.

So I guess plot wise it marks very good, but the characters need serious work.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:58 PM »
Excellent, this chapter brings some of the forward movement I’ve been nagging you about on and on for a while now. It’s still not really proactive, but since this is the third Guli chapter and its got action and plot movement, it’s not a problem – you will still need to step that up with the other chapters though.

I’ve a question, this is the third Guli chapter but in the overall book, which chapter is this? You can really offset some of the tedium of the other chapters with this one since we’re finally getting a glimpse of the larger plot (God’s name).

On Guli: Ah, his fortress is in shambles and misses a piece. So does God's fortress. It would seem the two are really connected.  Now we're getting somewhere. Up till the end I’ve found Guli, and his slowness, to be mostly annoying.

Now that it seems that he’s a part cut off from God (which explains why he’s not all there) it makes his character a bit more understandable. Before that I found his character completely unsympathetic and unreal (how he makes smart observations at one moment and then the next his mind just takes a holiday when he speaks), so this revelation (if only a partial revelation) comes at the right time.

Even so, you might want to bring his smart moments and dumb moments more in line with each other. The stark difference makes Guli so unbelievable in the first three chapters until the end.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:27:17 AM »
Now that it seems that he’s a part cut off from God (which explains why he’s not all there) it makes his character a bit more understandable. Before that I found his character completely unsympathetic and unreal (how he makes smart observations at one moment and then the next his mind just takes a holiday when he speaks), so this revelation (if only a partial revelation) comes at the right time.

Even so, you might want to bring his smart moments and dumb moments more in line with each other. The stark difference makes Guli so unbelievable in the first three chapters until the end.

I was trying to find a way to say this in my response, but couldn't find the words for some reason (and thus left it out). Asmo hits the nail on the head, though. Guli often comes across one moment, intelligent and comprehensive, the next dumb as a dancing rock and not completely in touch with the world around him. The missing piece of his fortress helps put this into a context the reader can understand, but for the first three chapters until that revelation, it makes him very confusing and hard to like due to the inconsistency.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:18 PM »
Thanks a lot for your comments guys.  They're awesome.