Author Topic: Mistborn question  (Read 2677 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn question
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:08:57 PM »
Just finished the trilogy. Is there another book planned or some tie in to other books? I have seen something about shards on the forum. This was mentioned briefly toward the end of the 3rd book. However, the end of the 3rd book had a "PS there are 2 more metals" and when I look at the guide several things that metals do were not explained.

This hints at more to come for mistborn.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »
Mistborn, along with Elantris and Warbreaker (and the upcoming Stormlight Archive series), is set in Brandon's fictional universe that he calls the Cosmere.  The major common element to these books is the Shards of Adonalsium.  The evidence so far seems to indicate that Adonalsium was roughly equivalent to God, though whether he actually created the universe is unknown.  Adonalsium is now broken into a bunch of Shards, which are scattered over various planets.  Ruin is one Shard, Preservation is another.  There is at least one Shard in the world of Elantris, and it is responsible for the Dor's power.  There is a Shard called Endowment (Brandon revealed this name in a Q&A) on the Warbreaker world that is responsible for the Returned and probably the whole Awakening magic system.

There are some common characteristics of the Shards that a smart and attentive reader might notice.  There is also one character, who has so far always been minor and has not had any point of view scenes, who is able to travel between the various worlds that have Shards and has appeared in all three of Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborn trilogy.  Brandon has confirmed that this is actually the same person, not just reusing the name.

Brandon has stated that he has plans for potentially two trilogies of new Mistborn books, but it will be quite a while before he gets to them.  The first would be several centuries after Hero of Ages and would feature an industrialized somewhat modern world - with Allomancy and Feruchemy.  The genetic heritage of Allomancy would be extremely widespread but diluted, resulting in Mistings being very common but weak and full Mistborn almost entirely relegated to historical legend.  Feruchemy would be similarly diluted due to the efforts of The Lord Ruler and Ruin before and during the current trilogy, with the result of Feruchemical "Mistings" appearing (people with just one Feruchemical power) and full Feruchemists with all 16 powers being about as rare as Mistborn.  The other trilogy would be set after an additional time gap, going into a more futuristic spacefaring society.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:18:21 PM by douglas »

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »
who is the character in all the books? I have only read mistborn.

since has shard worlds, does he intend to do a Stephen King style book/series(ala dark tower) where he ties his books together?

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »
If you poke around the forums much, you should be able to figure out who the recurring character is. (Hint: There are threads named after him.)  But if you want to figure it out for yourself, read Elantris and Warbreaker, and if you're paying attention, you might recognize the name.  Especially in Warbreaker, where he shows up for several pages.  Also, I know for a fact that he is getting a viewpoint in Way of Kings.  I imagine that after that is when most casual Brandon fans are going to catch on.  Unlike us crazy stalker people.

I've wondered about the whole "tie everything together series" myself.  If it does happen, it won't be for many, many years.  I bet Brandon has something even more awesome in mind though.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »

More info on additional MB books.

The main character of the next trilogy will be a Nicrosil Misting.  We will hear about/from Sazed.  Marsh will also be around.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »
I believe I heard mention of Ten Soon as well.
-Peter Ahlstrom

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:55:02 PM »

The main character of the next trilogy will be a Nicrosil Misting. 

Sigh. Nicrosil: The poor mans chromium.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
but more mistborn is years away I would guess. Not until after Wheel of Time is done. Then he has Way of Kings. He strikes me as the kind of author who does not want to just work on one series for 10-15 years (Way of Kings is 10 books so it will take atleast 15 years to finish). So maybe a new mistborn book in 3-5 years.

I can wait. I wait for George RR Martin.

I liked the ending to Mistborn. I did not think the overall writing was that good. Brandon has potential and he works at his craft so he will improve. I'll stick with him.

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
Warbreaker is generally considered his best-written book, though it is not as epic as Mistborn.  Even without WoK and the rest of SA, he's got a huge list of rough drafts/outlines/ideas that he still plans on writing.  Like, wow, that's a lot of books.  Maybe more Mistborn in five years at the absolute earliest, and that's not likely.  We're going to have a lot more to read from Brandon before we get more Mistborn.  Mistborn is my favorite of his books though, so I can totally sympathize.
-Peter Ahlstrom

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:49:41 PM »
mistborn got better reviews than warbreaker on amazon. ill read warbreaker eventually. I like to rotate authors. I am read Pat Rothfuss now, then I am going to read Stephen Erickson.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:47:28 AM »
mistborn got better reviews than warbreaker on amazon. ill read warbreaker eventually. I like to rotate authors. I am read Pat Rothfuss now, then I am going to read Stephen Erickson.

If Rothfuss ever releases his sequel, i'll be a happy person. 1st person perspective for the win.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:23:21 AM »
I know writing is hard, but Rothfuss does not appear to be very disciplined. I get that from his blog that he doesn't really work that much.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 01:31:25 AM »
I wouldn't say that. I see him at the bookstore on occasion, and he swears he's writing as fast as he can. I believe he's in the process of revising, as the first draft was sent to his editor back in May. He may already be done with that, for all I know, and now we're just waiting on finishing touches and announced release date.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
No, Pat is still actively writing the book. He's just a different kind of writer from Brandon. Pat works and works at every scene, every word, until he's completely happy with it. And the results show–that first book has awesome reviews and keeps selling and selling and selling. It's not a bad kind of writer to be, but it is different from Brandon—who is also different from a writer like Dean Wesley Smith who never does more than two drafts and who puts out a half dozen books a year under different pen names.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »
Are Dean Wesley Smith's books any good? If you go that fast, I would assume the quality is lower.