Author Topic: LDS Sci-fi and Fantasy Authors  (Read 2647 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
LDS Sci-fi and Fantasy Authors
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »
I'm trying to make a list of LDS authors who write science fiction and/or fantasy. This is what I have so far:

Adult market:
John Brown
Orson Scott Card
Tracy Hickman
Brandon Sanderson
Dave Wolverton/David Farland

Young Adult market:
James Dashner
Jessica Day George
Shannon Hale
Mette Ivie Harrison
Stephenie Meyer
Brandon Mull
Dan Wells (or should he be in adult?)

Are all of these people LDS? If you know other authors, would you please add to my list?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: LDS Sci-fi and Fantasy Authors
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
Marny Parkin has a huge list here: http://www.mormonsf.org/
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
Quick question (not meant as an insult, so don't take it as an attack), why does it matter if the author is LDS, Baptist, or Sunni. I mean this genre is fictionial and full of imaginary gods. (I know people who only read "Christian" fantasy and I never really got it. (and I'm not saying LDS aren't christians, I'm not one so it isn't my fight either way))
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »
I don't know about Sigyn, but for me I love knowing the famous LDS people because it, well, for a lack of better term, gives me a sense of pride.  I like being able to read it and go "oh, cool."  Also, from what I've seen (keep in mind this isn't a for sure thing, just a gernalization) their books tend to be a lot cleaner then the rest.  (which isn't to say non-LDS authors don't keep their books clean.)

It's kind of like Brandon said at LTUE.  He was able to flip open one of Tracy Hickman's books and go up to his non-LDS friends and say "Look, see!  He goes to the same strange church as I do".
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:56:45 PM »
Alot of evangelical christians got mad about the Harry Potter book and said it inspired the devil or some silly stuff like that. Do you guys get any of that from your church with fantasy/sci-fi?

To be fair, I don't think sci-fi/fantasy fans care what religious, ethnic or whatever background someone has. We just care of the book is good. I doubt your religion is held against any of you.

David Farland only writes the runelords books right? That is his series?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:58:26 PM by guessingo »

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »
I don't think the LDS Church could have cared less about Harry Potter, although there were a few people who picked up on the evangelical thing of it being inspired by the devil.

I'm not asking about this because I want book recommendations.  I don't like all the authors on this list. I'm just curious because it seems like there is such a large number of LDS authors who write science fiction and/or fantasy.  I wanted to know if there were even more than I knew about. This is one of those random bits of trivia that I'm interested in.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »
Marny Parkin has a huge list here: http://www.mormonsf.org/

Ha!  My husband is on that list.   ;D
~금강산도 식후경~

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »
Thanks for the list Peter. I really had no idea about some of these people. Christine Feehan and Lynn Kurland? Really? And now  I understand why my used bookstore has so many books by Elizabeth Boyer.