Author Topic: Snapping, the Shaod, and Returning.  (Read 8265 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Snapping, the Shaod, and Returning.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 05:20:29 AM »

PMS will become very important in WoK. . . well I think.  It for SURE will in DS.

EDIT::  I couldn't help but use PMS to reference physical mental spiritual.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Morderkaine

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 06:19:06 AM »
This could possibly fit with some of what we see in Warbreaker too.  The Returned are definitely changed physically, they are also changed spiritually by having one super powerful breath, maybe they are changed mentally and we just don't know it?

They are changed mentally; their memories of their life before returning are erased. 

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »
Perhaps the fact that most of the Elantrians we see are brilliant is not a cause for their change but rather possibly an effect of the Shaod.  Maybe there are three aspects to the transformation: 

1) Physical - They are changed, white skin, beautiful.
2) Mental - They are able to put together complex problems and solve the math like magic system.
3) Spiritual - They are attuned somehow to being able to access the Dor.

This could possibly fit with some of what we see in Warbreaker too.  The Returned are definitely changed physically, they are also changed spiritually by having one super powerful breath, maybe they are changed mentally and we just don't know it?

PS.  First post, been reading the board for a while and this just occurred to me, so here is my hat in the ring.

Possible, but most of the achievements I cited existed before they became Elantrians.  They didn't lose them even with the underpowered transformation, but if this theory has any merit, the seeds were already present before.

Also, I believe that at one point, Lightsong comments that Returning does not make one any smarter than a regular human.  We don't know if he is right or not, of course, but information on the subject is sparse.  As  noted, though, the Returned are definitely effected mentally---they lose their memory, but not, apparently, their capacity.
Nature hates being reified.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »

PMS will become very important in WoK. . .

I like that almost as much as PNS =)
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
Is it possible that the original Elantrians did something to tap the Dor, just like the baddies do with their bodies? Maybe the city itself contains some sort of mechanism that specifies that particular people/types of people will get hit with the change? So, Elantris morphed the land and the people in it by being built, much like the (forget their names) do with their limbs etc. etc.?
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 06:57:08 PM »
I believe you mean the Dahkor Monks Sort....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz