Author Topic: BYU Sci-Fi Magazine  (Read 1405 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
BYU Sci-Fi Magazine
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:01:25 PM »
I have read on the forums that many of you became friends at BYU at their sci-fi/fantasy magazine. How did this work? Is this short stories by students? Is it available online?

Have any of these short stories been sold? Have any of the authors other than Brandon Sanderson been published?

I am surprised that there is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy magazine at a religious school. Is it supported by the school? I went to a catholic college. I doubt the priests would have cared if we had one, but they wouldn't have supported it. They probably would have thought it was silly.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: BYU Sci-Fi Magazine
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »
Leading Edge is BYU's Sci-Fi/Fantasy magazine.  It accepts admissions from anyone and pays for the stories it accepts. Sometimes these are student submissions, but more often than not, the submissions come from the world at large. The support from faculty for the magazine has been variable over the years. Over the past few years, it stopped getting the support from the English faculty it needed and moved over to another department. This was mainly because the professors who had been more supportive died or retired. The remaining professors didn't think it was "literary" enough, or something of that sort. I don't know the exact details.

There are a lot of LDS Sci-Fi/Fantasy authors, and many of them went to BYU.  Brandon even teaches a Sci-Fi/Fantasy creative writing class there.  When I was at BYU, Dave Wolverton taught that class, and there was a Sci-Fi/Fantasy literature class offered too. I think support for that sort of thing has depended more on the professors who are there and students willing to put in the time and effort to make it happen.

You can read more about it at: http://www.leadingedgemagazine.com/
If I had any clue, would I be here?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:40:33 PM »
I hope they record Brandon's classes and put them online. Berkeley, MIT, and the University of Washington have a number of recorded classes online.

Does brandon post his syllabus online?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
Brandon doesn't really have a syllabus (the lectures are labeled "I talk, you listen"). And we asked about webcasting the classes, but BYU said no.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
There's a Sci-Fi/Fantasy event at BYU this Weekend, and Brandon's coming.  They've got his name up on a poster and everything.  Apparently the rest of the Writing Excuses cast is coming too.  He'll probably blog about it soon(if he hasn't already.)
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom