Author Topic: spectacular fantasy failure in 1999-2000?  (Read 5022 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: spectacular fantasy failure in 1999-2000?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
being an author is a rough business

1. you are self employed
2. no real support structure. you wither produce or sell or you don't
3. people see your name on the book so if they don't like it you get mocked.
4. you put your heart and soul into your work. you can't possibly be a fiction writer unless you love it.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:57 PM »
so authors used to get more money up fron then they do now? Why did they get more up front? I would think that only a small % of releases are big hits, many do ok, and then a significant number bomb out or have low sales. A book can be good quality and still not sell well.

Are there just more books published now?

so this guy eidon got a 6 book deal having NEVER published before with $100,000/book up front or $600,000? I can see that kind of money or more if you are famous and writing a first book (see Sarah Palin or Hillary Clinton), but what fan base does this guy have?

I would also think that alot of selling a new author is the author's willingness and ability to market themselves on top of the publisher.

I get the impression now that first time authors generally get 1 book deals with maybe a $10k advance. This way the publisher can find out if the guy can sell books. Then once they prove themselves they more. I am sure Robert Jordan got big advances for his books after they became hits. I would bet that Stephen King probably gets upward of $1 million advance/book.

Id say yes, the average advance was higher before.  Think about Eldon.  Terry Brooks essentially handed Eldon's manuscript to the publisher saying "this is awesome like I am."  The Newcomb was similar to piggyback on Goodkind's success.  When, as a publisher, you have huge failures like that, you start changing your advances.  Mix this with the economy, and yeah, advances for new authors, I imagine, are significantly lower.  In both these cases, the novels were marketed to take advantage of existing fan bases, and erroneously based on existing sales for established similar authors.

Jordan got more than a million.  Stephen King gets far more than a million a book.  And his very first advance was huge as well. 

Yeah, being published is tough, especially in this current industry.  But those are the risks.  I'll accept them gladly.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
Sarah Palin's advance is rumored to have been several million dollars, perhaps 5 to 7 million.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »
Sarah Palin's advance is rumored to have been several million dollars, perhaps 5 to 7 million.

That makes me want to vomit.  THAT gets a multi-million dollar deal, and books that actually make sense (both fiction and non-fiction) struggle along.  If I go show myself to be an uneducated American on TV and get embarrassed due to my stupidity, can I have a huge book deal?

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »
  If I go show myself to be an uneducated American on TV and get embarrassed due to my stupidity, can I have a huge book deal?

Yes. Yes you can. And then, a few years later, when your star is fading, you can let it slip that it was all an act, that you never were as stupid as you seemed, and get another book deal to explain "the truth". This is also the part where you betray all the "friends" you made along the way.

Then you'll do Hollywood Squares for a few years before fading into obscurity.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 12:02:15 AM »
  If I go show myself to be an uneducated American on TV and get embarrassed due to my stupidity, can I have a huge book deal?

Yes. Yes you can. And then, a few years later, when your star is fading, you can let it slip that it was all an act, that you never were as stupid as you seemed, and get another book deal to explain "the truth". This is also the part where you betray all the "friends" you made along the way.

Done and done.  Though we may want to include Dancing with the Failures--err Stars in that mix somewhere.  I'll be awesome!

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »

Done and done. Though we may want to include Dancing with the Failures--err Stars in that mix somewhere. I'll be awesome!

In that case we should all go on TV shows announce the "truth" a few years later and become millionares and then get tons of book deals and advances(my evil plan)! Muwhahah(opps did I just say that out loud).

P.s-I have nothing against Sarah Palin.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:02:19 AM by Lord Terrisman »