Author Topic: Fantasy girls, where are you?  (Read 28665 times)

Shadmere

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy girls, where are you?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 03:54:09 AM »
For some reason I've never been able to get into Robin McKinley's stuff.

I tried to read The Hero and the Crown in middle school.  It seemed just up my  alley, I loved stuff like that!  But I couldn't get into it.  Maybe read 5-10 pages, at most. 

Later, in high school, all the girls I knew absolutely LOVED that book, along with The Blue Sword.  So I tried again.

And couldn't get into it.  Made it 10-20 pages in, maybe. 

I don't remember why I didn't like it, though.  But i haven't touched them since 10th grade or so.  I should probably pick them up and see what I think, now. :p

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
Brandon was required to read The Blue Sword before his wedding. (I also think it's a good book.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
The Hobb books he was talking about were actually the Liveship books, not the later sequel that EBR bashed, Dragon Keeper. The Liveship books are my favorite of hers.

Correct.  Her first 3 trilogies are widely considered as excellent.  This newest "duology" starts off horridly.  Nothing that made her first 3 series awesome was built on in The Dragon Keeper.  Wait until I read the 2nd half (comes out in May), and then I'll write up a blurb and you all can decide if it is worth your time.  As it stands, don't waste your money on a pricey hardback.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
Books getting cut in half after they're written almost never produces good results. I would like for the next book to be good, so that I can read the first one, but after the Soldier Son trilogy I don't have my hopes up.

It's noteworthy that one of the main characters in the Liveship trilogy started out a spoiled brat little girl and demonstrated serious character growth over the three books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 07:06:59 PM »
I didn't like Hero and the Crown but I did like Blue Sword and Beauty. They don't have fast starts, though. You have to give them a few chapters.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
I really didn't care for Hero very much.  Blue Sword was really good.  Keep in mind though that (especially with her later books) the romance (once of my considering factors to any books) seems a bit... rushed?  Tacked on?  You can see it building but at the same time, I never really love the end results.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »
The Blue Sword is a terrible book.  A very tall 15 year old (how the protaganist is described) is kidnapped by hillfolk because their king believes she's destined to lead and fight alongside with them against the Northerners. Well they spend basically the entire book training her and that's really all that happens. There are no supporting characters to speak of. The ppl around our main character are there just to respond to her and nothing more. Even the dialogue is unbelievably boring. No surprise there, there aren't any supporting characters for her to talk to.  I was almost finished but I just quit.  I never even bothered to find out what happened in the end.  That's how bad this book was.  Anyone who would recommend you the Blue Sword is looking to hurt you mentally and possibly physically.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »
Because it isn't humanly possible that someone may just have different taste than you. Nope, we're all evil sadists.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 09:59:55 PM »
Anyone who would recommend you the Blue Sword is looking to hurt you mentally and possibly physically.

I find it ironic that you should say that, since you recommended Wizard's First Rule. Now, while I thought WFR was a decent book, Kahlan is not that great of a fantasy female. Plus, the writing is terrible (note that this statement is not just based on WFR, because I did like that one. It's the rest of the series (at least the ones I read) that make me say this)....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 09:44:47 AM »
I have to second that... Kahlan is really more of a love interest with her own magic, and less of a real female protagonist.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 06:06:22 PM »
The Blue Sword is a terrible book.  A very tall 15 year old (how the protaganist is described) is kidnapped by hillfolk because their king believes she's destined to lead and fight alongside with them against the Northerners. Well they spend basically the entire book training her and that's really all that happens. There are no supporting characters to speak of. The ppl around our main character are there just to respond to her and nothing more. Even the dialogue is unbelievably boring. No surprise there, there aren't any supporting characters for her to talk to.  I was almost finished but I just quit.  I never even bothered to find out what happened in the end.  That's how bad this book was.  Anyone who would recommend you the Blue Sword is looking to hurt you mentally and possibly physically.

Ok my bad for recommending it.  I felt that it was a decent story (though I agree that the dialogue was lacking).  I didn't mean to insult or mentally harm anyone.

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »
Anyone who would recommend you the Blue Sword is looking to hurt you mentally and possibly physically.

I find it ironic that you should say that, since you recommended Wizard's First Rule. Now, while I thought WFR was a decent book, Kahlan is not that great of a fantasy female. Plus, the writing is terrible (note that this statement is not just based on WFR, because I did like that one. It's the rest of the series (at least the ones I read) that make me say this)....

If she's isn't, then who is?  Kahlan is actually much better than the two others I mentioned.   

I have to second that... Kahlan is really more of a love interest with her own magic, and less of a real female protagonist.

By saying she's nothing more than a love interest what you're denoting is that she serves no other purpose in the plot of any of the books other than to be fawned over and rescued when in danger like most female love interests.   Is a character who has her own voice and POV and goes on her own harrowing adventures like a man in a medieval fantasy setting just a love interest?  That's not any love interest I ever read, whether they be man or woman.  That would defeat the whole purpose of them just being a love interest.

Ok my bad for recommending it.  I felt that it was a decent story (though I agree that the dialogue was lacking).  I didn't mean to insult or mentally harm anyone.

Ok just be careful next time, you don't know who on here might mistakenly take you up on your recommendations :)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
Man you're a hell lot worst than I am when I spit venom.... did you not get attention as a child, and now abuse the internet for revenge?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
Lord Terrisman, you do not have to apologize for recommending a book, especially not to someone who is being extremely rude.  We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to be jerks about it.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:41 PM »
Ok, I just don't want to hurt anypone's feelings or offend anyone. Kaz and Sigyn I really appreciate you guys sticking up for me even though I don't know you.  I just don't want anyone getting mentally hurt.  :)  (thank you again guys I  appreciate it)