Author Topic: How do you come up with Names for Characters?  (Read 1532 times)

JustinCarmony

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
How do you come up with Names for Characters?
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:45:57 PM »
When I envision my characters, I typically envision their characteristics and personality. I detail out them out in my head with little difficulty. I can think of their motivations, their feels, all with ease.

Then I go to write them... and I don't have a name. It can be so frustrating, because I love almost all the names of characters I've read in books. I have a hard time giving my own names, thinking they aren't up to par, but I can't come up with anything. I know I can always go back and change it later, but it always seems something that bugs me.

What do you guys do to come up with names for your characters? Do you find often you change them later? What sources of inspiration do have for names?

Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:46:22 PM by JustinCarmony »

Argas

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How do you come up with Names for Characters?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:35:33 AM »
If I want some symbolism in the name, I'll take the appropriate word(s), mash them together, play with them until I have something that sounds neat but doesn't symbolize anything, stash it away, and then go to http://www.behindthename.com/

For the most part, I make names by picking words or sounds that I like, mixing them together, and then going through them until I get ones that I feel are good.