Author Topic: questions about brandon  (Read 21070 times)

Vatdoro

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: questions about brandon
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »
Vatdoro:
Whoa...you've made something offensive which wasn't meant that way.

Sorry if my reply sounded like I was offended. I can assure you I wasn't.  ;) I really tried to make sure it didn't come across that way, but I guess I didn't succeed. *sigh*

I understand you think the hints are obvious. My take is the hints aren't that obvious to the average reader, and was giving a little more info about why I feel that way. I really didn't mean to start any kind of argument.

I believe the people who really enjoy digging into the mysteries of the Cosmere (as a group) probably feel the hints in the books are somewhat obvious. I tend to think the average Sanderson fan only reads his published works and not all the beta versions and sample chapters (Liar of Partinel) found on his site. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »
Wow, I spent weeks scouring the forums for this type of info when I coulda just made a new thread with a bunch of questions. Seems kind of too easy to me.  :D

Make him work for this info! Search youngling, for the truth you must.

Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2010, 08:26:05 PM »
How positions on the bestseller lists relate to actual book sales numbers depends on what other books are out at the same time and what time of year it is. Basically, there is no answer. But at this point, Brandon has sold hundreds of thousands of books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 01:09:39 AM »
Brandon's presentation from jordancon is on google video. He said he likes Stephen Erickson also. Has anyone read him? I have never heard of him.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 04:51:18 AM »
Yeah, Steven Erikson is good. Be warned though, his world is HUGE. Tons of tribes, lots of different magic, many different continents (and realms and dimensions, etc). The first half of any book is usually very confusing to get through because of all the new characters and armies, and then the second half is one big thrill ride.

His books are called the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Book one is Gardens of the Moon: http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-Malazan-Book-Fallen/dp/0765310015. Books 2 and 3 are some of the best I've ever read. So far the others range from pretty good to good, though I haven't read them all.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 05:26:40 AM »
Well Steve (Bookstore Guy), Slamel (Nick), Andrew, and I (currently there is debate as to what I am called the most popular the last 2 days is Menace to Society) are all groupies of Erickson so yeah he is awesome.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 12:20:29 AM »
Why doesn't Brandon like Terry Goodkind. Something about what goodkind wrote about fantasy readers right?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2010, 07:05:46 AM »
I'd like to note (probably not the place, but still, I'm behind... so sue me) that WoK has a scene that is going to make it very obvious that the books are related.  What exactly the scene consists of, I know not (yet), but I've been told he's been asked to add it.  I can't wait for this freaking book!!!!!!
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2010, 11:59:34 PM »
Where doe Goodking and Rowling say that they dont like fantasy and don't want to be associated with fantasy? I read about the first 100 pages of Goodkinds first book and pitched it years ago. I thought it was amateurish B grade writing.

To be honest, alot of fantasy is really bad. I stopped reading fantasy for a long time (other than GRRM and Robert Jordan) because every time I would read the book cover to see what a fantasy book was about they all seemed to be the same story. Some kingdom is in trouble and they need so and so hero to save the day. Then again most fiction in general is not very good. I moved more into Science Fiction since they seemed to be about different stories, plus there are alot of different types. I really got into hard sci fi for a long time (Stephen Baxter, Harry Turtledove, and Neal Stephenson were my favorites). I recently read a sci-fi book called Spin which is completely original and different from any other sci-fi novel I ever read (Stephen King said the Robert Charles Wilson is his favorite sci fi author).

I am reading fantasy again a little bit, but I am choosy. I don't want to read about yet another hero who goes off to save the day. Especially with the really poor writing. I also read alot of historical fiction. I like historical fiction, particularly ancient and medievil history. I have to research the authors before i waste my time. Some authors spend incredible amounts of time on the research (Colleen McCullough, Sharon Kay Penman, and Steven Saylor to name a few, plus of course The Pillars of the Earth which is the best novel I have ever read), but alot learn bits and pieces of history and clearly don't know what they are writing about.

So I get where some self hating fantasy writers are coming from. Most of it is just bad. Where does Terry Goodkind and JK Rowling say they dont like fantasy?

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2010, 12:28:38 AM »
I'm reading Erickson's book one of the Malazan series right now. I'm more than 100 pages in, and I must say, so far I have no interest in the characters or the story at all.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2010, 12:32:28 AM »
Gardens of the Moon is the weakest of the books.... and i really don't care for Erickson's introductions too many info dumps... however it is still one of the best series on the market today
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2010, 04:41:52 AM »
can someone post a link to the article that goodkind wrote where he said he doesnt like fantasy?

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2010, 06:53:55 AM »
There's a bunch of places. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find most of the ones that I've found in the past...I did find a pretty decent Q&A from late 2003 though. The link.

The pertinent quote:

Quote from: the Delusional Terry Goodkind (and the innocent fantasy fan asking the question)
Orem Utah: What do you think distinguishes your books from all of the other fantasy books out there, and why should readers choose to read your series?

Terry Goodkind: There are several things. First of all, I don't write fantasy. I write stories that have important human themes. They have elements of romance, history, adventure, mystery and philosophy. Most fantasy is one-dimensional. It's either about magic or a world-building. I don't do either.

And in most fantasy magic is a mystical element. In my books fantasy is a metaphysical reality that behaves according to its own laws of identity.

Because most fantasy is about world-building and magic, a lot of it is plotless and has no story. My primary interest is in telling stories that are fun to read and make people think. That puts my books in a genre all their own.

So I guess readers who are interested in story rather than world-building and details of magic would have a good time reading my books.

And some other quotes....

Any writer who tries to write for readers instead of themselves is lost.
--Now, this initially sounds pretty decent, but coming from him and the context and the question asked of him ("Do you ever look at reader responses to your books on forums such as Amazon.com, and do you ever take these reader opinions to heart?") it makes you see that he doesn't care about the fans. Sure, don't let fans control your writing, but to completely ignore the reaction is ignorant.

Also, him saying this reminds me distinctly of Stephenie Meyer...And I hate being reminded of her existence.

And then another person mentioned a similarity between SoT and WoT and he said this:
If you notice a similarity, then you probably aren't old enough to read my books.
...haha. How kind...

Anyway...That's Terry. Very briefly.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:53 PM »
I read about the first 100 pages of Goodkinds first book. I didn't like it. I thought it was low grade B level fantasy. I remember throwing the book in the garbage. I won't read a book just to finish it. If I don't like it, I won't waste my time. I also need to point out that there are books I don't like because they don't fit my taste, that others really like.

I can't see how anyone would think that Goodkinds books are even in Robert Jordans league. To be fair the question about Goodkind and Jordan being in the same world is kind of silly. But that was an obnoxious response. I thought it was funny that he liked Stephen Counts. He writes B grade pulp thrillers. He made a super likeable every girl wants hero with generic writing. I read one book by him and did not like it.

It is good that goodkind doesn't read reviews. His latest book got killed. To be fair, the 1000s of negative responses to Jordans 10th book on Amazon didn't really affect his writing.

I am liking the 2nd mistborn book. About 100 pages into it.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2010, 05:08:55 AM »
Why doesn't Brandon like Terry Goodkind. Something about what goodkind wrote about fantasy readers right?

People actually like Terry Goodkind? I've been subjecting myself to his works to see if there's anything to learn from them, but as far as I can tell, he should have been a pundit, not an author. Reading his opinions on why his work isn't fantasy have convinced me that there are essentially two things keeping his books afloat: Good plotting, and political identification with the protagonist.

An author who can't understand what makes their own work fantastic is B-list at best. Here's a hint: your work does not describe mundane events.