Author Topic: questions about brandon  (Read 20789 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: questions about brandon
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 11:55:53 PM »
The night job I was referring to was his hotel job. And he also used to teach Freshman English...you can bet he doesn't do that anymore.

The writing class is a 300-level class, theoretically junior-level, but it fills up before juniors can register because seniors get priority. Before Brandon did his raffle for 6 slots in the class, of the 14 people who were registered, 13 were seniors and 1 was a graduate student. So that's 20 actual students. But with people auditing or sitting in, the room that seats 70 is full and there were people sitting on the floor the first day...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 12:44:11 AM »
Wow...just wow...

1. Knew about the hotel job (incidentally, I do something along the same lines - it makes you either go crazy or become a font of creativity and gives you a lot of time to study unusual "characters" in detail).

2. The 20 seats and a massive number of sit-ins - wow.  I've only seen this kind of thing once (it takes a massive reputation within your chosen field to get that kind of response).  I had an amazing professor once (also taught only 300 level courses) who had 400 seat lecture halls booked and half a dozen TAs (more a question of crowd control than anything) because of this kind of thing. 
If he gets a bigger classroom, they will come!

Incidentally, I wonder how much of a madhouse it becomes at signings and convention panels he takes part in now.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:48:42 AM by Mellington the loony Gold Misting »

Shadmere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 05:59:38 AM »
That's pretty awesome about the sit-ins.   At UNCC, they'd chase you out if you weren't enrolled.  (Well, they were supposed to.  If you had an in with the professor, you'd probably be able to slide.)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Um... Don't tell anyone I said that.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Daenya

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:35:38 AM »
Your secret's safe with us  ;)

Um, what do TAs actually do?  We don't have them in Australia - lectures are just the lecturer standing at the front of the room talking to us for a couple of hours.  I'm guessing they're like tutors - generally, as well as a lecture each week, you also have a tutorial, which is more like a classroom scenario - about 30 students, questions, answers, case studies etc.

Shadmere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
Um... Don't tell anyone I said that.
Heh.  I was assuming that keeping 70 extra people hanging around the classroom would be impossible. 

Well, guess now it's only the right thing to do to email the administration.    (Obviously j/k. :p)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »
TA's are Teacher Assistants and more or less do all the jobs the Prof doesn't want to do.... like grading papers
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
TAs are graduate students. they typically get free tuition and a small stipend ($8000-15000) to grade papers and such for the professors. Larger lecture classes always have them. lower level undergraduate classes typically meet 3 times/week. once for a large lecture with the professor and twice/week in smaller sections with TAs. it is how large public universities manage their costs by cramming 300 kids into a classroom. but then again you don't need special attention for a generic history 101 class.

Being a teaching assistant or a research assistant (doing research for professors) is how most graduate students pay for PhDs since its so expensive. Unlike TAs , research assistants are often funded by grants. so if a physics professor winds a grant to create a black hole machine, it will include money to cover research assistant pay. The university I think kicks in free tuition, but the grant covers the pay (it is basically below minimum wage).

anyway back to Brandon questions. I was reading the earlier posts here. Wasn't it about 1.5 years between the time brandon got a book contract and his book was published? He didn't get alot of money up front. so did he live on ramen noodles and in his parents basement until his books started selling? That sounds like a huge risk. Most authors don't make enough money to become full time writers and need other jobs. Especaially until they get several books published and get an income stream going.

btw, I am mos about 450 pages into the firs  mistborn book. I like it. it is a fun read. he seems to have alot of potential as a writer. I am not burning through books. I don't have the time to sit there and read right now.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »
I'm guessing they're like tutors - generally, as well as a lecture each week, you also have a tutorial, which is more like a classroom scenario - about 30 students, questions, answers, case studies etc.
Yes, TAs sometimes do that. I had a Calculus class that had lectures MWF and review/quiz sessions TTh. The lecture was like 300 people with the professor, and the TTh sessions were around 30 students with a TA. (His name was Nephi Noble. I am not kidding.) After the first week or so I never went to the lectures and just went to the review/quiz sessions. (I knew almost all the material already; I got a 5 on the AP Calculus AB test. If I'd taken the AP Calculus BC test instead and gotten only a 3 I wouldn't have had to take that class.) (Actually now I can't remember how many times a week the class met. I must be overestimating. 2 lectures/1 review-quiz session? Whatever.)

Brandon knew how to live on little money, and advance payment for a book is generally something like 1/3 on contract, 1/3 on acceptance, and 1/3 on publication. He signed a 2-book deal to start with. The second book was WAY OF KINGS, but he soon replaced that half of the contract with a 3-book deal for the Mistborn trilogy. So Brandon had plenty of book money to live on before Elantris even came out. Maybe not enough for some people, but Brandon wasn't in the habit of spending money on anything other than magic cards.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:06:11 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »
and the TTh sessions were around 30 students with a TA. (His name was Nephi Noble. I am not kidding.)

*does a double take*

Nephi Noble was a friend of mine when I was in college back in the dark ages.  He was an eternal student (ended up getting a PHD in Mathematics, if I remember right).  I think he left the area, haven't heard from him in ages.  This discussion forum is pretty much the last place I would have thought to see his name.  :o

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 07:13:53 PM »
What has been said about TA's is true, but what Rob and Cavin actually do in Brandon's class isn't exactly the same thing.  He has them run errands for him, or go to get something he needs, or set up the computer for him.  The other thing they do is go around to writing groups that Brandon doesn't go to and give critiques on what needs to be improved in our writing.

Well, they also make random side comments in class and make all of us laugh, but I don't think that's part of the job description.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

zarepath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
Can I just say, OT, that Dount Cooku is the best handle I've ever come across?

We can now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 08:43:36 PM »
i'm proud to say i am one of those 50 or so sit-ins. great class. i'm really enjoying it
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »
^ Lucky.  :(
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 02:51:22 AM »
i'm proud to say i am one of those 50 or so sit-ins. great class. i'm really enjoying it

It's true. It's been great so far. Can't wait for the next class, actually.
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?