Author Topic: January 10 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name Of God, Anaiah chapter 6  (Read 1589 times)

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Moving far ahead to skip a) bad chapters and b) get more to the plot.

Oh yeah, there's some people who get their heads bashed in.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:34:36 AM by LongTimeUnderdog »

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
Re: January 10 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name Of God, Anaiah chapter 6
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »
In short, I liked it. I thought things went pretty smoothly as far as pacing was concerned. The action scenes went very well, in my opinion.

What sort of word processor do you use? I'm only asking because I wanted to convert your file into a .odt or .doc so I could email you some line edits later.
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:39 PM »
ODT and Doc, depending on what people ship me back.

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »
Sweet. If I get a chance in the next couple days, I'll shoot you an odt with notes.
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
Well it took some time for me to get to this chapter, but I first read through your other submissions. First of all I want to say I like your setting. There are some interesting locations and setting conflicts going on – the God chapter was especially interesting. Your characters also have a lot of potential. 

With Anaiah 1:6 I like the dialogue between Anaiah and her partners in crime and that you get to some action. The chapter end in a cliff-hanger, which gives me the feeling her story line is going somewhere. She’s also really skilful, but what I do wonder is how old she is exactly – given Jin’Cathul 1:3 she’s also fourteen or something? Some of the enemies fall rather easily to her.

Now on to the critique. Aside from grammar and spelling (which I'll ignore for now because you've already said this is a rough draft) there are a couple of things I noticed on reading through your submissions. A number have already been said by others, so I’ll skip those. What follows is more geared to the whole of what I read, instead of just Anaiah 1:6.

Character Descriptions

The first thing I’ve noticed throughout all your chapters is how you describe your characters. I’m sorry to say they read like grocery lists, where you are just ticking off features; eyes, hair, skin, clothes, accessories, milk, cheese, etc.

Doing this once is not much of a problem, it happens in many books, but you do it every single time with every single character, including the minor ones. The total information you present is also too much to remember. I would suggest you tone down the description to just a few key features, maybe two or three. If it’s a minor character just stick to one.

What I found was that whenever you describe a new character my eyes started to gloss over – I don't think that's the reaction you're going for. The problem you’ve got here is you telling the reader what the characters look like, you’re not showing us and that’s jarring me out of the story. A better idea is to describe what characters look like through actions.

Example: On the left the woman was fair skinned like Talven and Jin, with red hair tied back in a long tail that dropped to her waist.  She wore a blue skirt and most of her upper body was dotted in gold.  She had a gold ring pierced through her naval and a ring of golden studs surrounding her breasts.  Tiny, golden chains hung from her nose, connecting to her ears with little bells dangling from it.  Even her lips had gold studs through them.  She wears what she sells, Jin took note.

Counter-Example: The sounds of little bells drew his attention to the fair-skinned woman on the left. The woman’s slightest shift created its own kind of music, a symphony of chimes and the rustling of delicate golden chains and studs. She wore her merchandise proudly, Jin noted. Just the thought of one of those beautiful rings piercing his skin nearly made him cringe, but she was covered with more gold than was arrayed in front of her. If her wares were worth a fortune, she was absolutely priceless.

This is just a simple example, but you get the picture.

Story Flow

With Anaiah 1:6 you’ve skipped a couple of chapters ahead, which is good, since the feeling I get from Anaiah 1:6 is that little of import to the grand scheme of the story happened in Anaiah 1:1 to Anaiah 1:5. But then you bog down the story with her thinking about what happened in the previous chapters.

If you’re not going to give us those chapters, then what happened in them is not important enough for lengthy musing. If you are going to give us those chapters, the flashbacks are unnecessary. Either way, you’re telling us what’s happening again instead of showing us.

What I do get from Anaiah 1:6 is that a lot of time has gone by, but nothing is really happening. I get this with Jin’Cathul 1:3 as well. So far the lives of your characters are not easy, but in terms of plot and pacing they are just meandering along. With over 30,000 words into the story I should have the feeling that things are moving towards something – maybe I’m wrong about what that something is, but I should feel movement, and I don’t feel that.

The problem is that your main characters, Jin’Cathul, Anaiah, Zulbane, and Duli, are all in their separate beginning stories, with side-characters, conflicts, and locations, unique to each of them. That’s why I don’t feel any movement to the story; we’re still mired in the beginnings with no end in sight. I say there’s no end, because I’ve only read one Duli chapter so far and also one Zulbane chapter. Add the missing beginning chapters for Duli and Zulbane to the mix and you’re asking for a lot of patience before getting to the point where things start moving.

Chapter Confusion

You name your chapters after your main characters. Progressing through them is easy; Jin’Cathul 1:3 follows after Jin’Cathul 1:2. However, I’m getting a little lost with the connections between the chapters of different characters. For instance, does Jin’Cathul 1:3 take place before, during, or after Anaiah 1:6? And where do Duli and Zulbane fit in? In the finished work it'll probably be clearer, but for now it's confusing.

Points of View

What I really like about Jin’Cathul 1:3 and Anaiah 1:6 is that it’s told from Jin’s and Anaiah’s points of view. In the other chapters, such as the first chapter of Anaiah, Duli, and Zulbane, you use other view points. In this way we’re not really getting to know the main characters. I knew from the chapter titles which characters are truly important, but nowhere in Zulbane 1:1 for instance did I get the feeling he’s the main character. The same with Duli 1:1 and Anaiah 1:1.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:39:59 AM »
It's Guli, with a G.

And actually I havn't writen Anaiah 2, 3, 4, or 5 yet.  They're just kinda sitting there, waiting to be spliced into the story.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:44:50 AM by LongTimeUnderdog »

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:03:45 PM »
I am going to second Asmodemon's comments.  They are insightful and accurate.  He has managed to point out things that were sitting in the back of my mind.  I agree with everything he said.

First, I liked this chapter more than any other you have written.  It feels like the story is finally in motion, whereas everything before this has been setup.  I liked the action and could picture everything.  Well done.  Now on to the bad.

After reading this chapter, my main concern is that you have just killed whatever empathy your reader had for Anaiah. Granted, she is trying to save her dad, but in doing so, she wiped out half a village and didn't seem to have the slightest pang of remorse while doing so.  That's pretty cold.  As I read it, I kept thinking that Anaiah is wiping out a half dozen innocents to save her father's life, which kinda makes her the villain, not the heroine. 

Also, all your characters have been children or YA, which made me think your story might be written for that age group, but this chapter kaboshes that particular notion as well.  The level of violence here is very adult.

One other thing about the chapter, it struck me as everything went very easily.  Anaiah persuaded her enemies to help her without too much effort (shouldn't they have questioned that the request was coming from her and not the village elders?).  The ziphoa sealed off their crater, but left the  lift unguarded.  Anaiah wiped out half the village without too much effort.  It all seemed to go down way too easy.  Are the Ziphoa that pathetic?  Are Anaiah's two companions that dumb and persuadable?
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
First, I liked this chapter more than any other you have written.  It feels like the story is finally in motion, whereas everything before this has been setup.  I liked the action and could picture everything.  Well done.  Now on to the bad.

By "finally in motion" do you mean "Finally in motion on stage?"  Or do you mean, character arc motion?  Could you expound on this please?

As I read it, I kept thinking that Anaiah is wiping out a half dozen innocents to save her father's life, which kinda makes her the villain, not the heroine.

You're right, she's not a hero.

Actually this particular type of raiding where you just go in, kick people around, and take there stuff was a very common practice in history.  Alot of people like to look at people like the Native Americans and the Islamic tribes as being oppressed by white people.  But quite  a large number of Native American tribes, island tribes like the Muari of New Zealand, Arabs before and after Mohammad, and Vikings all made a living off of raiding (some more for fun then others).  I never meant it to be likable.  Although I do admit to finding it funny you said she killed half the village.  I think the total body count was 10 people (No I didn't count).

Also, all your characters have been children or YA, which made me think your story might be written for that age group, but this chapter kaboshes that particular notion as well.  The level of violence here is very adult.

I always thought it was funny people called this story YA.  It has always been a seriously adult fantasy in my mind.

The ziphoa sealed off their crater, but left the  lift unguarded.  Anaiah wiped out half the village without too much effort.  It all seemed to go down way too easy.  Are the Ziphoa that pathetic?  Are Anaiah's two companions that dumb and persuadable?

I think you mean Pinoe.  Yes they are.   It's night.  No one wants to be in the dark because of darkens.  Plus, without any sun for what we would think of as 5 days is going to make it very cold.  Very very cold.  So everyone's in the center of town around a big fire, trying to stay warm.  Of course the lift wouldn't be guarded.  The people guarding it would be either eaten, or freeze to death.  I know I have to account for the traveling of the trio to the crater with that in mind.  I was thinking about that today actually.

Ziphoa is Anaiah tribe.

Hilva and Glubon . . . Yeah that was a little easy.

Now of course I have to agree with what everyone else has been saying above.  It does have it's problems.  Thank you for pointing them out and I'll get to work on them right away.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:11:15 PM by LongTimeUnderdog »

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »
One other thing before I go on expounding on my comment (as per your request): getting to the adjoining village seemed remarkably easy.  There needs to be somewhat of a journey.  The way it's written now, it seemed like the craters were sitting right next to each other.  Even if they were only an hour apart, that puts the two craters within a few miles of each other, awful close for people who don't seem to be on friendly terms.

As to my comment about the story finally being in motion, what I meant was that things are actually happening.  Up to this point, we've had lots of children being abandoned, lots of talking, lots of training, essentially, lots of being acted upon, and very little of your characters doing the acting.  This is one of the first times when your characters have taken on a proactive role.  I still have no idea what the point of the story is--you really haven't given us much in the area of plot direction--but finally we have some assertive action.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot