Author Topic: Questions for Brandon :: Hoid's Compendium Interview/Q&A  (Read 10263 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Questions for Brandon :: Hoid's Compendium Interview/Q&A
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 02:22:38 PM »
Yep, me and i posted the answer!!!! Bad Miyabi :P. It steals all abilities twist whoever it is used on like koloss but different... and he said it did something else but wouldn't say what.

Where did you post that one?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »
In the thread where we were posting different questions and answers to them during his trip... i'm having problems finding it. We were having a discussion over the possibilities of the lerasium spike so i just asked him what it did and he told Harriet when i was leaving that he wanted to RAFO me but that was the deepest question about one of his books instead of WoT (surprised me b/c i thought it was normal speculation but oh well)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 02:00:21 AM »
OK, I think I've got a couple goodies here.

1) Shadesmar is the name of the cognitive realm. Do the physical and spiritual realms have names as well and, if so, what are they?
2) Can we get a timeline for the release of the tables of Feruchemical and Hemalurgic metals, even just a rough one?

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 04:32:16 AM »
Shadesmar may just be Roshar's name for the cognitive realm. Just saying. :)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 04:39:02 AM »

Ari54, I'm pretty sure it's more than just that.

EDIT::  It's really funny, typing your name I didn't think a-r-i-5-4 I thought a-r-i-s-a, and my fingers typed the 5 and the 4.  -_-  That's a sure sign I have typed/read 1337 way too much.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:40:33 AM by Miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 04:55:01 AM »
I usually go by just Ari online. Apparently someone who's actually called Ari snagged that here first. :)

As for Shadesmar, it really depends how Brandon is worldbuilding. I think it pays to have a pretty open mind until we've actually read about things like how Shadesmar was so named. :)

zarepath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 07:43:49 PM »
Which character are you most excited about in Way of Kings?  Why?

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »
I must say, I'm enthused about learning more about the Heralds!

I haven't read the sample that will be included in the paperback of Warbreaker so I don't know anything else really.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 12:29:57 AM »
Brandon has answered a number of questions about WARBREAKER over at GoodReads. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/264132-q-a-with-brandon-sanderson
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 12:58:47 AM »
Yay, Brandon unveiled some new spiffy terms for us.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 05:06:30 AM »
Are there any stockpiles of Larasium (or is it Lerasium?) laying around somewhere? Or any place where it can be found "naturally" like the Pits of Hathsin? Or is Preservation's "body" tied up in Humans and the mists more than a specific metal? And if Preservation was needed to create Humans, how do Humans exist on other Shardworlds?

Gah, this was only supposed to be about larasium stockpiles, but my train of thought got going.

Oh, and do we know (or have theories about) what Atium alloys do? Besides Malatium (atium-gold) of course.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 05:10:16 AM »

So we're shooting for around the 20th of Feb.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
Are there any stockpiles of Larasium (or is it Lerasium?) laying around somewhere? Or any place where it can be found "naturally" like the Pits of Hathsin? Or is Preservation's "body" tied up in Humans and the mists more than a specific metal? And if Preservation was needed to create Humans, how do Humans exist on other Shardworlds?

Gah, this was only supposed to be about larasium stockpiles, but my train of thought got going.

Oh, and do we know (or have theories about) what Atium alloys do? Besides Malatium (atium-gold) of course.

I can answer some of that.
According to Peter (pg. 63 of the HoA+Brandon Q&A thread) there was at least one other piece of Lerasium at the well other than those Elend, TLR, and the original nine Mistborn used. I think there was 5 others (16 in total) and that Hoid has at least one. Preservation isn't needed to create humans; he gave up part of himself in order to give them sentience. Due to the natures of their powers, Preservation and Ruin had to work together in order to create life on Scadrial but that doesn't mean other Shards can't create life on their own or haven't arrived on worlds that already had it. All we know for certain about Atium alloys is what we were given on the table of allomantic metals. "In alloy form, it produces various expanded mental and temporal effects."  We also know that Atium's "known" use is probably actually just a side effect (Lerasium creating Mistborn (and Mistings as an alloy) is actually a side effect of it's true, unknown effect).

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if human life hadn't been created somewhere while Adonalsium was still whole.  You know, since that would make the human form as the form of choice for Shard creations make more sense.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 06:03:21 PM »
Hey thanks. I figured there was a good chance my questions could be answered by someone here.  :)

But do we know of any Lerasium mines? Is it possible the people living elsewhere in Scadriel have lerasium mines?