Author Topic: Questions for Brandon :: Hoid's Compendium Interview/Q&A  (Read 10255 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Questions for Brandon :: Hoid's Compendium Interview/Q&A
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »

Us over at Hoid's Compendium are workign on getting an interview with Brandon.  We will need a list of questions to ask.  We have at least two or so weeks before this will happen, so this gives us ample time to gather many questions from you.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

zas678

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Brandon :: Hoid's Compendium Interview/Q&A
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
I have a question. Is Veldew one of Hoid's alias names?

From the WoA deleted scenes:
"Master Terrisman," Elend said, standing outside the Terris camp in the soft red morning light. "If I can give you one final bit of advice, it is that you must turn back. You don't have the resources to feed a population this size, and you cannot forage with any kind of effectiveness this time of year."

The aged steward, Vedlew, shook his head. He stood with two other stewards, leaning on his staff. "We must see if King Venture will take us in. Terris is in need of allies. You cannot understand what it is like to have charge of a people. . .to know that they look to you, despite your failings. We will manage. If what you say is true, then it is only a few weeks travel south to Luthadel."

"Two weeks for us two," Elend said. "Men in good health, travelling light. It's the middle of winter, Master Terrisman! If you continue, your people will either starve or freeze."

The old man paused at this. "What else would you have us do? Return to face those creatures who have taken our city?"

"Yes," Elend said firmly. "Now is not the time to fight. It will come, my friend. But for now, you must be patient."

"The Terris have been patient for far too long, I think."

"Then you are practiced at it," Elend said. "I have always had great respect for Terris wisdom, Master Vedlew. Do not prove my faith wrong now. I cannot tell you everything, but Lord Venture will contact you soon. There will be a time to resist the Inquisitors. For now, however, you have to see that your people don't die in the wilderness."

Vedlew looked at one of his companions. The taller steward—who looked much like Sazed save in the face—shrugged.

"We will consider your suggestion, young man," Vedlew said.

This seems to be the same character as in the real WoA that is Hoid.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »
Wait- never mind. I just found something that disproved my self.  :'(
Barnes and Nobles:
So, Brandon. Hoid. I remember you saying at the I.F. signing last year that he was in WoA. We, your dedicated fans who like scouring books searching for obscure characters who have any possibility of being the mysterious Hoid, have yet to find him. Peter sent us on a hunt for him (Hoid, not Peter...) in the deleted scenes, and we found his boot-print.

Now, I think he broke the pottery there too--the one holding the larasium--and since there's broken pottery in the actual version, I think he may have snuck into the cavern and broken it as well. If so, is this Hoid's part in WoA? This trace of him? I commend you if it is. It is clever, making us think it was a person, when in fact it's just something he did.

You are on the right track, but wrong on one point.  Hoid does appear in the book.

I had originally toyed with making his touch on the novel more obscure, but decided that I wanted to be consistent with the other novels by actually having him appear.  Once I realized I’d probably cut the scene with the footprint, I decided I needed this actual appearance even more badly.

Fortunately, I knew what Hoid had been up to all this time, and had placed him in a position where several characters could run into him.  In WoA, Hoid believed (as Vin did) that the Well was in the North, even though it was not.  He spent much of the book pursuing this idea.

Through events, however, he discovered he was wrong.  He made the realization after Vin did, but only because of a chance meeting.  (This is recorded in the books.  Let’s just say he was listening in when someone implied that the Well was in Luthadel.)

He hurried to Luthadel, and was in the town, skulking about in the last parts of the novel.  He isn’t seen here, though he does still infiltrate the Well.  (Hoid is quite proficient at manipulating Shadesmar for his own ends.)

"This actual appearance" seams to imply that he wasn't originally in WoA, which means he's not Veldew. But hey, ask the question anyway. Maybe he'll make it one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:26:41 AM by Zany And Spontaneus! #678 »
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:04:53 AM »
I'd be interested in a in-universe chronology of the books.  For example:  First Adolnasium breaks.  Some odd thousand years later, Mistborn, with Elantris 250 years after that(on a planet far far away, obviously) ... etc.  I made all that up, just to avoid confusion.  So, I guess I want you to ask about a rough time-line. :)
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:20:35 AM »
Well, I actually do know the basic answer of that  one.  (Though, Josh will you make sure my thinking is right?)  MB is towards the beginning, and then Eln and WB are towards the middle-ish.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:53:30 AM »
Oh.  Okay then.  Hmm... Now I have to think up a new question.  No wonder the title of Super fan was basically thrust upon you.  Happy Birthday FRR.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:17:45 AM »
Well, I actually do know the basic answer of that  one.  (Though, Josh will you make sure my thinking is right?)  MB is towards the beginning, and then Eln and WB are towards the middle-ish.

This is approximately correct to the extent of my knowledge, but to be on the safe side, we should probably ask him anyway.
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:38:24 AM »

I think this is going to end up like Star Wars' BBY/ABY (before/after battle of Yavon).  Except it will be BSA/ASA (before/after shattering of Adonalsium).
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:41 AM »
I doubt that very many books will be written from before though.  Unless DS is, and you're holding out on me.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 05:58:54 AM »

I'm pretty sure DS is prior to the shattering of Adonalsium, I'm almost positive Liar was as well.  Though Liar takes place in the DS world, but one could be for and one after, or they could both be after, but I am inclined to think that at very least Liar is before.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
Hm.  That does make sense.  Primitive enough society (roman-esque), and Hoid's position and all of that.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure DS is prior to the shattering of Adonalsium, I'm almost positive Liar was as well.  Though Liar takes place in the DS world, but one could be for and one after, or they could both be after, but I am inclined to think that at very least Liar is before.

Cool. That will be interesting when Brandon decides to revisit those books. :)

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
Wait- never mind. I just found something that disproved my self.  :'(
Barnes and Nobles:
So, Brandon. Hoid. I remember you saying at the I.F. signing last year that he was in WoA. We, your dedicated fans who like scouring books searching for obscure characters who have any possibility of being the mysterious Hoid, have yet to find him. Peter sent us on a hunt for him (Hoid, not Peter...) in the deleted scenes, and we found his boot-print.

Now, I think he broke the pottery there too--the one holding the larasium--and since there's broken pottery in the actual version, I think he may have snuck into the cavern and broken it as well. If so, is this Hoid's part in WoA? This trace of him? I commend you if it is. It is clever, making us think it was a person, when in fact it's just something he did.

You are on the right track, but wrong on one point.  Hoid does appear in the book.

I had originally toyed with making his touch on the novel more obscure, but decided that I wanted to be consistent with the other novels by actually having him appear.  Once I realized I’d probably cut the scene with the footprint, I decided I needed this actual appearance even more badly.

Fortunately, I knew what Hoid had been up to all this time, and had placed him in a position where several characters could run into him.  In WoA, Hoid believed (as Vin did) that the Well was in the North, even though it was not.  He spent much of the book pursuing this idea.

Through events, however, he discovered he was wrong.  He made the realization after Vin did, but only because of a chance meeting.  (This is recorded in the books.  Let’s just say he was listening in when someone implied that the Well was in Luthadel.)

He hurried to Luthadel, and was in the town, skulking about in the last parts of the novel.  He isn’t seen here, though he does still infiltrate the Well.  (Hoid is quite proficient at manipulating Shadesmar for his own ends.)

"This actual appearance" seams to imply that he wasn't originally in WoA, which means he's not Veldew. But hey, ask the question anyway. Maybe he'll make it one.

Could you clarify this logic?  How do you know that Veldew was originally in WoA?  The place where Hoid shows up in the book in guaranteed to be one that was added later in the editing process, and the meeting with Veldew matches most of the criteria in the quote from Brandon.
Nature hates being reified.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 06:13:50 PM »

I distinctly recall that Brandon had written in one topic, "Some people were hoping for a sequel to Elantris. The secret answer is that Mistborn is that." Only, it was stated much better than that, because I'm paraphasing. Still, he definitely made it sound like Mistborn was after Elantris.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 06:18:44 PM »
More information about Way of Kings release is always cool.

Something not story related, I'd like to know what his book tour wish-list destinations would be.  These could be cities he's been to and would like to return, places he's never been, places outside the US, etc.

Or, if he could have the power of one of his magic systems, what would it be?

Perhaps a more interesting one, one that we'd probably never see in print and thus could be answered with more than a RAFO, could Hemalurgy be used to steal powers from other magic systems in his universe/multiverse?
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?