Author Topic: A series I can't remember  (Read 1427 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
A series I can't remember
« on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:05 AM »

OK, so this has been bothering me for a few years, and I never thought to ask here.  So there is a book series I read when I was in grade school, which means it could have ranged from anything from a YA novel to a regular Fiction series because I read them all.

Things I remember:
*The main character could go into a different place when he slept
*There were many worlds in this place
*He could bring things back when traveling there in dreams, which you aren't supposed to be able to do
*Other people can get there, but you have to like go around a long way
*His uncle comes and takes him away to teach him to be a wizard
*There is a girl in an Egyptian type world where they aren't allowed to have books
*He takes her books and she hides them in the "space" above her shoulder
*There was something about a wizards or sorcerers signature that was unforgable or something along those lines.
*One of the spells I remember a silencing spell and he once cast it so strongly when trying to talk to his mom without his uncle hearing that they had to "dig" through the spell to make a way for them to talk to each other.

So yeah, does this sound familiar to anyone?  I would appreciate anything, it's one of those books you read a LONG time ago and really liked but you can't remember what it is.  I would just really really like to read it again.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A series I can't remember
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 08:25:12 AM »
It certainly sounds like the Chronicles of Chrestomanci to me.  Just the going to other worlds in your sleep bit though, I don't remember much of those other things.  A distinguishing characteristic might be that the Chrestomanci has nine lives, because he never existed in the eight other parallel worlds.  One of the characters seals a Chrestomanci in training's lives into a book of matches, and when he strikes one, he bursts into flame.  There were a few books, many taking place in one of the other worlds.  Just the first thing I thought of.  But, as always, I could be dead wrong.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »

Can I just say I love you!

I wiki'd it and that is what it is!  I have tried googling this, asking TONS of people from bookstore workers to librarians and NO ONE has known what it was!  I guess that could be because the first book came out in '88 '77, but no, seriously, I absolutely love you.  You are my HERO!

* Miyabi hugs Link
[/color]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:40:36 AM by Miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »
Whoa, I was right?  Awesome, glad I could be of help.  I just hope the hug wasn't one of those awkward ones where we hug for about ten seconds, stand there for a little while and then one of us pats the other on the bag to say, "okay, you can let go now." :P
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:13:45 AM »

Ha ha.  I tend to hug for too long. xD  I love hugs.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。